Yamaha R3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Agree with Tal. I had the same issue (after 11,000KMs). The hoses needed to be replaced. It was covered under warranty

·
Registered
320 Posts
Are those dried coolant stains ?
YUP
I noticed while working on my bike the hose clamps were torqued on overly tight, i loosened it and torqued the clamps on properly to avoid premature wear where the clamps crimp down on the hose. I also ordered a set of radiator hoses to pack for long trips just in case.
Why not take the fairing off and find out where it is coming from and let us know!

·
Registered
30 Posts
YUP
I noticed while working on my bike the hose clamps were torqued on overly tight, i loosened it and torqued the clamps on properly to avoid premature wear where the clamps crimp down on the hose. I also ordered a set of radiator hoses to pack for long trips just in case.
Why not take the fairing off and find out where it is coming from and let us know!
Will check it out this weekend, which hoses did you ordered ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey. I have the same problem. Today just find out that it leaks coolant from the same spot. Weird thing though that it spits some coolant out 2 minutes after I start the engine ( engine still being cold) and it leaks for 20 sec and then stops and only leaks again if I start the engine from dead cold. Doesn't make sense to me. I found that when the engine is hot and coolant expands then it appears way above the maximum line, but when it's cold then it is just in between min and max. It just seems to expand more than I expected. Have any ideas guys? I am trying to avoid taking it to the service because it would mean that I woild be without a bike for around a week.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
The system may be 'burping' because it needs to be purged (you should probably do this once in a while anyway).

When the bike is COLD, remove the radiator cap and start the engine. Once the engine gets warm, you'll see the coolant start to flow in the radiator. Once this happens, blip the throttle a few times and look to see if any air bubbles come out the radiator tube. If yes, repeat a few times until no more air comes out. If no bubbles seen, system is purged, top off with coolant, replace cap and good to go.

To prevent streaking, make sure reservoir cap is on securely and overflow tube is routed through the frame. Or just wipe it down occasionally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Leaking coolant

Hey guys,

First time bike owner with the r3.

So it's winter here in Wisconsin and ive been starting my bike every other day or so just to keep the fluids running through the bike.

A few days ago i noticed there was coolant leaking from my bike. Not sure if it's a gasket issue or something else?

The bike has approx. 2500miles on it.

Can anyone help me out? What should I do? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
It does look like a leaking water pump gasket - check water pump bolts, if loose, snug them up. If tight, looks like a warranty item.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Performed my break in oil change today and was doing my overall inspection and noticed some coolant stains on the left side of the bike where many of you seem to notice them at.

Bike will be going to the dealer tomorrow. I will update everyone as to what they say.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just picked it back up from the dealer.

It was definitely a coolant leak from the overflow tank. Looked like it was leaking from a pressed in grommet, or whatever you choose to call it. I snapped some pics for you guys. Pardon the picture quality. I was cold already and had no desire to stay outside anymore.

Also, those aren't my fingers! They're the techs.

·
Super Moderator
97 Posts
My dealer found a leak around the water pump gasket on my 7k service. It's still under warranty and was ordered before they even told me they finished the 7k service. I decided to park the bike just to be safe... :-/

·
Registered
30 Posts

Are those dried coolant stains ?

just to update.....

its been almost 2 months since my mech replace the adjustable o-clamp to a slighter bigger width one..

so far haven't observed any more leaks from the same hose

will probably need to change the hoses if it happens again

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Every new bike I have owned has done this. Just wipe it off and leave it. If it doesnt stop after a few hundred miles, then take it to the dealer. Oh and yes, its coolant from the looks of it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Its coolant, probably from a loose fill lid or connection to the reservoir. Take it back to dealer and they should fix it free of charge.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yeah mine is doing it too. Its the grommets on the bottom of the tank. BS that I have to take it to the dealer for that.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts