Yamaha R3 Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
This isn't something we can just fix ourselves? Mine isn't doing it, but I wouldn't want to take it to the dealer for any reason!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Very common issue. Take it back to the dealer and let them fix it under warranty. They shouldn't give you any lip.

Yep - this has come up a few times and under several new threads - I think they just overfill the reservoir and it burps off the excess. Wipe it off, move on, nothing to see here.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
This isn't something we can just fix ourselves? Mine isn't doing it, but I wouldn't want to take it to the dealer for any reason!
Never took any of my new bikes in for service for coolant leaks. Its jsut something that seems to happen with brand new bikes. If its a persistent leak, sure take it in, but again, this seems to happen to alot of new bikes and usually stops within a few hundred miles. Like Stirz said, wipe it off and move on. No point in waiting for hours, or sometimes days (some dealerships get backlogged with service) for a non-issue.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yep - this has come up a few times and under several new threads - I think they just overfill the reservoir and it burps off the excess. Wipe it off, move on, nothing to see here.
Pretty much this.

I noticed the 'leak' on my 3rd or 4th day of ownership, I wiped it off.. and so far nothing. Like Koji mentioned above, it looks like they purposely overfilled.

My levels have been fine since the wipe.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Most of the times it's overfilled when bought, that is the dealer you do not want to have your bike serviced at, EVER.
Then sometimes the lid was improperly installed leaving some of them leaking from a bad seal around it.
I also got a leak at the pump cover /hose and clamp. Just tightened it up and stopped.

·
Registered
330 Posts
For my bike being overfilled was definitely not the issue. My grommets on the reservoir were cracked and leaking. I have pictures, but basically, that's what it was.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I can't seem to find DIY or How Tos videos or instructions for coolant fill up for R3. Tons for R1 and R6 though. Pls post if you have one or know where to see one.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
Yesterday mine started showing up like post 6 (but not as severe) just after 1000 miles. So it's not necessarily them overfilling the coolant on a service visit. I took things apart, and the black reservoir cover was freshly wet. My guess was the rubber cap on the coolant tank. I left the cover off so I could keep an eye on it -- apparently that needs to go back on pronto, post 3 said the cover secures the cap in question. I thought the rubber cap seemed kinda flimsy.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
I've been riding for two weeks with a paper towel wadded up and holding the rubber cap down between the cap and the plastic facade cover. No more coolant streaks on the bike, but the paper towel (after removal for examination) was discolored at the leak location. The tank filler neck has a top-side nick at the rear-side mold point. The coolant must be sneaking through the gap. But then, that means that coolant is also getting past the rubber plug in the filler neck. I don't think the flimsy cap at the neck top is supposed to be the effective seal.

The two coolant lines to and from the reservoir are on back-order, and the cover. The elbow that goes into the cap is "unavailable". How very curious!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Coolant leak at hose that connects to engine

Just noticed a coolant leak at the hose that connects to the engine. The coolant level too in the reservoir has dropped a bit. Anyone else faced this? The hose is on tight so it looks to me like the hose needs to be changed! If so, does this fall under warranty? Attaching a pic
I have the same problem! What was it, how did you fix it ?

·
Super Moderator
935 Posts
Yamaha had a Safety Recall on the R3 for problems with some clamps and hoses. You can check if your bike was included in this recall, along with any others. Go to Yamaha's Official website for your region of the globe, and look near the bottom of the 'home page' for "Corporate Links" then "Product Recalls". Plug in your bike's VIN, and the site will let you know if there are any outstanding recalls, and if any others have been completed. ALL Safety Recalls are on the bike, not ending with the original owner, are free, and can be completed by any authorized Yamaha dealer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yamaha had a Safety Recall on the R3 for problems with some clamps and hoses. You can check if your bike was included in this recall, along with any others. Go to Yamaha's Official website for your region of the globe, and look near the bottom of the 'home page' for "Corporate Links" then "Product Recalls". Plug in your bike's VIN, and the site will let you know if there are any outstanding recalls, and if any others have been completed. ALL Safety Recalls are on the bike, not ending with the original owner, are free, and can be completed by any authorized Yamaha dealer.
I second this. My bike is leaking coolant like mad from the upper radiator hose and went to Yamaha's recall tool. Noticed my VIN was listed in the models needing to be fixed under warranty. It is due to improper manufacturing techniques on the rubber hose. I am thinking about doing this repair myself because the dealer near me is horrible, and the reviews confirm it too. Really, its the only thing holding me back from taking the bike to the dealer and its been leaking for about a year now hehe.
Its only a 10$ part :unsure:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I second this. My bike is leaking coolant like mad from the upper radiator hose and went to Yamaha's recall tool. Noticed my VIN was listed in the models needing to be fixed under warranty. It is due to improper manufacturing techniques on the rubber hose. I am thinking about doing this repair myself because the dealer near me is horrible, and the reviews confirm it too. Really, its the only thing holding me back from taking the bike to the dealer and its been leaking for about a year now hehe.
Its only a 10$ part :unsure:
Yea I did the recall myself. It's really easy.. Just drain coolant swap hose and refill.

The part number for the recall is 90891-10298-00

Tech bulletin

41 - 57 of 57 Posts