Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at my Red R3 Saturday at the dealer, and noticed something odd about the spool mounts--the right side has two holes, while the left has one hole. Does everybody else have this feature? What's with the extra hole on the right side?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same on my bike. Was wondering about it as well, anyone know what size spool we will need?

Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes, the upper hole on the right side is a larger hole and I don't know what it's for. It gets covered when you screw in the spool.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Forum Brothers,

The Additional Hole is for the assembly line, It allowed the sub assembly to be built and then installed on the bike.

I'm sure if Yamaha wanted to make use for the set of holes for a new style of stand for maintenance or racing,,,,,we'll probably see the Holes utilized again!

Cheers

·
Registered
117 Posts
While adding my spools I saw this too, but it (if I remember right) doesn't have any threads, felt like a smooth borehole.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
TST Spool Install Video

I like TST and their products. I have their Flush Mount Signals and their Bar Ends on my R3 and I'm waiting for their Front Fork Sliders and Halo Signals to come out.

That being said, I'm guessing this video was made more for P.R. purposes, to show people these two products, develop brand recognition and get them to buy them.

After all, if you can't screw a bolt into a hole, maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't be riding a motorcycle? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON7XoG3OXFo&feature=em-uploademail

And oh yes, by the way, it would be a good idea to put some blue Locktite (or other thread locker) on those spool threads!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'mma havta watch that a few more times before I feel confident enough to do this custom modification myself...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey guys need some info on spools.
Not sure how to shop for spools, I think I glanced some posts that mentioned 6mm size for our bikes, would that mean that any spool with 6mm would be good for our bikes ?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yeah, pretty much anything with a 6mm screw. I think they all use the same thread pitch. The options/ choices are ENDLESS.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have seen stands that look like they use the swingarm as a lift instead of needing spools. Is this ok to use? Also, is there any reason to get top brand for spools/stand?

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I have seen stands that look like they use the swingarm as a lift instead of needing spools. Is this ok to use? Also, is there any reason to get top brand for spools/stand?
Some stands come with both the hooks for spools AND the platforms for swingarm lift. Interchangeable.

The swingarm platforms work but can interfere with wheel removal on some bikes.

SOME of the better made less expensive stands work fine for occasional use, like when cleaning/lubing the chain, but they are made with much cheaper and thinner tubing. If you're going to be using it a lot, something like the Pit Bull stands are best.

Buy the best one that fits your budget....Or, if you're not in a hurry to get one, save up for a while and get the Pit Bull.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Some stands come with both the hooks for spools AND the platforms for swingarm lift. Interchangeable.
I use ^this style^ Pit Bull stand. Haven't come across a single (conventional style swingarm) bike yet that it won't lift.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have Pit Bull aluminum spools that cost $16.
I have a Pit Bull stand that cost $135.
IMHO, Pit Bull is the ONLY way to go....you get what you pay for!! The Pit Bull is made like a tank and will outlast your bike by many years.
When I had my FZ6R 600 I bought one of those cheap $75 stands and it almost broke when the bike was on it while I was doing chain maintenance.
Also, the FZ6R did not have spools so the stand had those L shaped brackets that rest on the swingarm....those are VERY flimsy and your bike will slide forward or the stand will slide backwards if you've braced the front wheel.
I'll NEVER put another bike of mine on a cheap stand or one without a V shaped bracket that connect with the spools.
http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/Strykerman64/media/R3%20STORAGE%208_zpsspz7jfok.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5
http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/Strykerman64/media/R3 STORAGE 1_zpsjnanpbvx.jpg.html?sort=3&o=6

1 - 20 of 103 Posts