Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Got a new 2019 R3 ABS. I researched, test road and watched nearly every starter bike video on YT for 6 months, finally went with the R3! I love it, as so many others do.Great starter bike.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've had about 30 bikes over the last 50 years and if there was only one street bike in the bunch I would buy twice, this is it, the 2017 MT-03.
I've also had about 30 bikes, although in 10 years. Have you owned an MT07? It's my favourite of the bunch.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've also had about 30 bikes, although in 10 years. Have you owned an MT07? It's my favourite of the bunch.
No I did not go with the MT-07 when shopping a couple of years ago for financial reasons. My wife's prescription for Ibutrinib, (Imbruvica in Mexico) ain't cheap even with insurance. Es la vida.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I've had about 30 bikes over the last 50 years and if there was only one street bike in the bunch I would buy twice, this is it, the 2017 MT-03.
I’m on my 7th bike in 6 years of riding. 4 Kawasaki Ninjas from an ex500 to a Zx6r. 3 Yamahas and 2 of those were R3’s. In between the two was an R25. I really like this bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi All,

Got a new 2019 R3 ABS. I researched, test road and watched nearly every starter bike video on YT for 6 months, finally went with the R3! I love it, as so many others do.Great starter bike.
"STARTER BIKE"?! Don't let my R3 hear you say that. She thinks she's a great motorcycle all around! And I've ridden it daily for 3 years, it probably is a keeper ;) I've pulled into more than 1 gas station where other riders have shared their appreciation and said that they wished they kept their R3 after moving up to a 600, 750, or liter bike. Mostly what I heard was that their upgrades are too powerful for the street, too hot for daily use, too uncomfortable for commuting. One said he far more enjoyed the nimbleness and forgiving manor of the R3 than to ride his GSX-R with gentle throttle control in a corner.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"STARTER BIKE"?! Don't let my R3 hear you say that. She thinks she's a great motorcycle all around! And I've ridden it daily for 3 years, it probably is a keeper ;) I've pulled into more than 1 gas station where other riders have shared their appreciation and said that they wished they kept their R3 after moving up to a 600, 750, or liter bike. Mostly what I heard was that their upgrades are too powerful for the street, too hot for daily use, too uncomfortable for commuting. One said he far more enjoyed the nimbleness and forgiving manor of the R3 than to ride his GSX-R with gentle throttle control in a corner.

This was my 1st motorcycle purchase ever and I have wanted one for a long time. I researched them a long time and a lot. I picked the R3 for all the reasons you mentioned. I actually do not plan to ever (Will Not) upgrade and wanted a bike that would make a great keeper and satisfy me years to come. So I guess it's a great starter and keeper bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It will be really hard to let go of an R3, especially if you've had bigger bikes before. The lightness is so enjoyable. The styling, comfortable geometry and the adequate power on the streets make you question yourself 100x if you really need a bigger bike.

I've been considering upgrading to an fz6R for my daily commute, but that bike is almost 100lbs heavier and looks dated compared to the R3. If I ever pull the trigger and get a faster bike for my commute, I would probably still buy a supersport like a used R6 or a CBR600RR and just get some handlebar risers and adjustable footpeg mounts. That setup will be more similar to the R3's riding position and weight compared to heavier commuter sport bikes like the FZ6R or Ninja650R/ CBR650R.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
This was my 1st motorcycle purchase ever and I have wanted one for a long time. I researched them a long time and a lot. I picked the R3 for all the reasons you mentioned. I actually do not plan to ever (Will Not) upgrade and wanted a bike that would make a great keeper and satisfy me years to come. So I guess it's a great starter and keeper bike.
You’ll upgrade. Trust me lol. It’s the way it is with motorcycles. If you love bikes, it’s in your nature to want something else, over and over again.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You’ll upgrade. Trust me lol. It’s the way it is with motorcycles. If you love bikes, it’s in your nature to want something else, over and over again.
Too true. Although I don't always upgrade. Often I downgrade, or sidegrade. Anything to try out something new :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I can assure you, "I" will never upgrade. It may be in other (most) riders nature to upgrade, but I'm not the average motorcycle rider. Now I do realize how others eaisly get caught up in it all, but I won't.

I waited a long time in life before buying my only motorcycle (glad I did). The R3 is the only bike I'll ever buy, and have no intentions of ever getting rid of it.

After riding it for a few months (hindsight) I probably would have preferred a sport/touring style bike (even more upright riding position). But with some minor mods to the R3, I can make it more suited for my riding needs. Already changed the stock foot pegs to the offset platform style pegs ( 1.5" drop), a lot easier on the legs! Rise bars are probably soon...
Riding a motorcycle is just my past time pleasure, not my passion (that would be spreading the True Gospel).

·
Registered
98 Posts
I waited a long time in life before buying my only motorcycle (glad I did). The R3 is the only bike I'll ever buy, and have no intentions of ever getting rid of it.
How boring... Of all the bikes I've owned, the R3 is well down the list of the best of them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How boring... Of all the bikes I've owned, the R3 is well down the list of the best of them.

Actually the R3 is not boring at all for a first time motorcycle owner. Far better than the mini bikes, dirt bikes and mopeds I've rode back in the day.

Not every rider needs to be going flat out in order to enjoy a motorcycle...
Ride on!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can assure you, "I" will never upgrade. It may be in other (most) riders nature to upgrade, but I'm not the average motorcycle rider. Now I do realize how others eaisly get caught up in it all, but I won't.

This bike is just *so* right for the city and freeway riding I do. Going on five years and I have no intention of trading this brilliant machine, either. I have made room in the garage for a Z900, just so I can work on my throttle restraint from time to time :).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Or in my case, upgrade means buy a 2nd bike (FZ-09 here) and upgrade the R3 to practically be a race bike, to the point people question why you didn't just buy a new R6 for the money dropped on the R3

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts