Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new rider and am really digging it - one thing that I think is cool is how many people do the motorcycle wave. I'd say it's been like >90% for riders that I've seen on the roads here in the Denver area.

Is it the same for you all around the country/world?

·
Registered
84 Posts
CA had a high %, TX is a little lower. Harley riders in TX without helmets rarely wave to me.

Reactions: Torchsport

·
Registered
271 Posts
In NE, almost everybody waves. Had a guy on a scooter wave to me. Harleys will wave, just not as much as other sport bikes

Its kinda like the jeep wave. Most will do it, but theres a few who wont.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ahhhhh, the wave.

Been riding for years and have noticed that you will get the most waves if your bike falls into the same class as the oncoming rider.

When I rode my Cruiser, almost all cruisers waved including Harley's. Guess they could not tell as I was inbound it was a Honda Cruiser due to my 3/4 helmet and black leather.

When I rode my Grom, no waves... From anyone... Period... None at all... Guess nobody wants to get caught waving at a scooter.

Funny, I would pull in the garage and switch out the Grom for the R3 and head out for a longer jaunt and immediately the other bikers wave... Ahhh, the R3 is a real bike.

I have ridden cruisers most of my life and have only since 2010 started towards the sport bike category and have noticed that most sport bike riders will wave, most metric cruisers will wave but not the Harley crowd. Maybe this is geographic, who knows? On a rare occasion I see a Harley coming, They throw out a hand, I am caught by surprise and quickly throw out mine because I don't want to be a butt.

On my R3, as for sport bikes I go ahead and throw out a hand and usually get one back. For cruisers, I let them initiate.. If they wave, I'll wave. I try not to get butt hurt when I get snubbed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's a simple nod of the helmet over here, rather than waves. Not quite as common maybe as it is in some other parts of the globe either but not too bad, maybe 50/50.

Funnily enough, the same thing as Capn Kirk mentioned above seems to happen here as well

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm in TX and like everyone else said HD guys almost never wave. I also notice that the guys who ride with no helmets and gear very seldom wave however I give them a pass since they should be focused on keeping both hands on the bike and not dying. I got more waves when I rode a street triple r than the R3 and a lottttt less when I rode a super tenere. For some reason that giant adventure bike couldn't buy a return wave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heh, awesome - glad to hear it's all over the country/world. Went out for a canyon ride today and got 100% - even the Harleys!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Relatively high percentage in western North Carolina, I would say 4 or 5 will wave back. Even during normal suburban commuting, folks around here get it. If riding conditions permit, I will do/start the wave- not offended if there's no response.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm a new rider and I have to say the biker wave is one of the most rewarding parts of the experience so far. I'll never forget the very first wave, which was actually initiated by the other rider first approaching me on a bigger sport bike. I knew then I was part of the family and I remember being high on that feeling for a while. Here on Toronto city streets, it seems to be pretty good with waves. Most will wave, or nod if hands are busy. I've even had waves exchanged between a moving and a parked motorcyclists. Sometimes waves don't happen just due to logistics, like traffic, wide road dividers, etc. I find when another rider is in front of you or behind you, waves are a bit more awkward, and riders may acknowledge each other as one passes the other for example. The other day I passed a cruiser in a moving lane and waved. When he later passed me, he returned the wave. So it's good to see riders acknowledging each other here, especially across different bike variants. Long live the wave!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts