Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, so I'm new to motorcycles and just purchased my first bike. It's a '21 r3. After removing my new bike from the truck, I decided to give it a go and move my bike to its storage area so I could get ready for work. Well, after it stalling out a few times I thought I finally got the hang of the friction zone, after doing so I let off the clutch a little more, and it starts going faster than I wanted, reached for the brake and accidently hit the gas.... resulting in the r3 taking off from roughly 3-5mph to like 15 ish and immediately ran into this huge metal utility box that's sticking outta the ground. Flipped the bike, broke my arm, joyful stuff.

Well, got home and checked out the bike. Currently it looks like I need a new radiator, new exhaust, new tree, and possibly a new fork assembly. I'm not sure what all else may be wrong. However for this post I'm curious about this..... I put the key in the switch and it will turn once, and that's it. Nothing comes on nor can I start the bike. Any advice on what may be causing this? Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi guys, so I'm new to motorcycles and just purchased my first bike. It's a '21 r3. After removing my new bike from the truck, I decided to give it a go and move my bike to its storage area so I could get ready for work. Well, after it stalling out a few times I thought I finally got the hang of the friction zone, after doing so I let off the clutch a little more, and it starts going faster than I wanted, reached for the brake and accidently hit the gas.... resulting in the r3 taking off from roughly 3-5mph to like 15 ish and immediately ran into this huge metal utility box that's sticking outta the ground. Flipped the bike, broke my arm, joyful stuff.

Well, got home and checked out the bike. Currently it looks like I need a new radiator, new exhaust, new tree, and possibly a new fork assembly. I'm not sure what all else may be wrong. However for this post I'm curious about this..... I put the key in the switch and it will turn once, and that's it. Nothing comes on nor can I start the bike. Any advice on what may be causing this? Thanks in advance guys.
I apoligize for your arm and totaled bike. I hope you got insurance.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Make sure the bike is out of gear and in Neutral. Be sure the "Kill Switch" (on the right side near the starter button) is in the Run Position. There are also safety switches on the clutch lever.. and side stand.. if either were damaged during your spill, they'll need to be replaced or by-passed before the bike will start properly. If "nothing comes on" on the dash with the key on, it shouldn't even attempt to turn over at all... so, you'll need to clarify a little more what's going on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah ok, I didn't check gear position. The kill switch is on the regular position for me to push down to crank. However, the instrument panel isn't showing anything. I'm currently worried with the no power issue than if it will crank, considering I feel it won't crank with out the power (could be wrong of course). Also don't know how to check for the other switches you mentioned. I'll prolly just wait until my arm heals then take it to the dealership and see what they say.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I hope you heal fast and you are not discouraged. Practice in a bigger parking lot away from obstacles.

Reactions: Jdeez_r3

·
Registered
355 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and sorry about the crash.

Try drill into your mind that if you ever accidently accelerate, you cut it immediately by squeezing the clutch fully in rather than panicking or full braking.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think the bike is fine. Just needs a few replacements. I see it as a good opportunity to attune mechanical skills.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
And an excellent time to read through that OWNERS MANUAL you got with the bike. It offers loads of good info, and it'll answer a lot of questions that normally pop-up in the first few months of getting used to the bike.
While you're at it.. pay attention (somewhere around page 72-79) to the Fuse location under the panel between the riders and rear seat, especially the 30amp main fuse that's not in the fuse box. Cause if you have no life on the dash when the ignition is on, and the 'kill switch' is where it belongs... you probably need to look at, and possibly replace the main fuse.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also check the tip over switch. I dumped mine last year and had to reset it, also check your battery because it’s possible you damaged it in the fall. The greatest rider isn’t the one who never falls, but who falls and gets back up. Cheers and feel better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry about the crash, but it sounds like you need to take a course first before you kill yourself (sorry, just noticed your previous post). Buying a motorcycle, especially a sports bike, and not knowing how to ride it is bad news. Riding on the road with traffic is far different than riding in an empty parking lot. Too many people buy a bike and then just figure they can learn. There are already a lot of bad drivers out there not paying attention to anyone on the road. Couple that with someone that can't ride is a recipe for disaster.

If you have insurance I would not suggest making a claim. Your insurance will skyrocket as you crashed a brand new bike.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I hope you recover quickly.

On the bright side, at least you were smart enough to start out with an R3. I can't imagine what would have happened if you'd done that on an R1, but you'd probably be going a lot faster than 15 mph.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
It probably would have yeeted him right off and still hit the electrical box, totalling it in the process. I remember accidentally dumping the clutch on a buddy's Gixxer 600 about a decade ago. Looped it and totalled the bike in the process. And that was a decade ago on a bike with a LOT less power than a modern Supersport. Can only imagine on a modern R1...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts