Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I am planning to join the biker community sometimes next year and have been looking into getting my first bike. And at the moment, I am gravitating towards Yamaha R3 (looks, specs, and also beginner friendly) compared to other beginners bike as well as most of the 600 cc bikes also. From what I found by calling the dealerships, they are willing to sell the bike somewhere around $5500 ~ $6000 OTC. But if I wait a year or until the end of the season, is there a chance that I could buy the bike from dealerships a bit cheaper? Because I have been watching many of the buying tips and an older model (even a year old), you could try to lower it up to $1000 ~ $1500 the MSRP value, maybe $4500 OTD or lower. What are your thoughts about this?

Addition to the thread is that I live in Washington State near Seattle, where the weather here is pretty decent, and not to snowy.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Hi guys, I am planning to join the biker community sometimes next year and have been looking into getting my first bike. And at the moment, I am gravitating towards Yamaha R3 (looks, specs, and also beginner friendly) compared to other beginners bike as well as most of the 600 cc bikes also. From what I found by calling the dealerships, they are willing to sell the bike somewhere around $5500 ~ $6000 OTC. But if I wait a year or until the end of the season, is there a chance that I could buy the bike from dealerships a bit cheaper? Because I have been watching many of the buying tips and an older model (even a year old), you could try to lower it up to $1000 ~ $1500 the MSRP value, maybe $4500 OTD or lower. What are your thoughts about this?
Depends where you live. Here in Snow Country the dealers drop prices in mid to late November so they don't have too many bikes sitting on the floor over the Winter.

In warmer climate areas, bikes sell throughout the Winter and prices may not drop until the next year's models are about to arrive at the dealerships,

The R3 is a new and popular model, so there may not be any left in dealerships by November. It's hard to say.

·
Registered
27 Posts

edit* I'm a young guy with limited experience so take this all with a grain of salt.

Addition to the thread is that I live in Washington State near Seattle, where the weather here is pretty decent, and not to snowy.
A) $5500 to $6000 OTC? Why are they keeping it locked behind a counter? :D

B) Check to see how many they have in stock. If they have a bunch they will probably give you a slightly better deal come fall, but still probably 5k-5.5k. If they had 2015's left as 2017 got close thats when you could really steal it. I do see some 2013 ninja 300 leftovers here and there advertised at good prices, and you might save on insurance because the model year is older. I get quoted half the insurance rate for a 2013 ninja vs a 2015 (using the kawi for reference since it has been out a while).

C) I think I read that the break even price for the dealer is something like $4400 (not including tax and title). Yamaha made these intending for the dealer to sell it for $4999 + tax + title. The "freight" is just a way to mark it up, Yamaha built the real freight cost into the MSRP.

D) The larger more expensive bikes have more wiggle room in the price, just like luxury cars do. You can sometimes get a 40k car for 30k, but you won't get a $15,000 car for $11,000.

If you really want to start riding I wouldn't nitpick over saving $200. There will always be a newer model of everything coming. My computer cost $2000 to build 2 years ago. Those same parts are $1000 today. I don't lose sleep just because something newer and faster came out.

·
Registered
290 Posts
A few things.

Seattle does have a riding season. Although you can and will ride year-long (anything above freezing is fine riding weather/very little snow days), dealerships will pretty much tell you there is a riding season which to them ends maybe around early oct. This is when I bought my first bike.

As already stated, this is a budget bike, and wiggle room is very small. 4500 OTD in WA state is unlikely no matter what season. I don't know the full numbers but based on what my brother in law told me (he works at a yamaha dealership), that is a huge loss to the dealers so they won't be selling it that low, especially for a bike that is selling quickly.

For WA state, I'll take 5-5500 OTD, that is a great deal for western U.S. If you want anything lower, you will have to wait until next year's model comes out (in Mar-Apr??) and they clearance out the 2015, but that is a huge gamble right there because stock is obviously moving quickly on this bike, chances are dealers can get rid of their 2015 stock and still break even when 2016 are released (in other words, no major clearance pricing).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yamaha did a good job with this bike. I don't think you have to wait for "flaws" to be worked out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
From doing previous research only 2 part I see that are short of this bike so far is lacking ABS(in US only) and lack of accessories because it's a brand new bike. eg.I have been to a few dealers and they still in agreement of not having a useful frame slider yet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts