Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately brakes are usually the first place manufacturers skimp on components to fit a pricing agenda. On that note, have a gander at the R3's binders, two pot caliper in the front and a single pot in the rear.

anyone going to make moves to improve stopping power?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Brembo rotor and brembo pads. Game Over!!!

Reactions: YR3

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm not anticipating needing better brakes than these. I'll have to wait and see of course, but as long as you aren't trying to break any speed records I assume that you'll be fine.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as new or newer riders the one thing you want absolute peak performance from is your brakes...

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Brakes on the R3 are manufactured by Akebono...

Pretty sure these are them Akebono.. both listed as rears for bikes between 400-1200cc.... very likely the master cylinders are Akebono as well

Mav

·
Registered
5 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
I know some manufacturers make the front brake weak on purpose.
This is supposedly a beginners bike, so they make the front brake hard to lock up.

The rear brake, as long as you can lock it up, there's no reason to improve braking there!

If you ride 2 up, you might be able to improve rear braking, as this translates to more weight to the rear brake, and locking the rear wheel when riding alone, does not guarantee the brakes doing the same with a passenger.

I'd have to agree with Yamahahaha, unless you plan on going on the tracks with this bike, or ride like a hooligan; the stock brakes should be more than sufficient for normal commuting.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I know some manufacturers make the front brake weak on purpose.
This is supposedly a beginners bike, so they make the front brake hard to lock up.

The rear brake, as long as you can lock it up, there's no reason to improve braking there!

If you ride 2 up, you might be able to improve rear braking, as this translates to more weight to the rear brake, and locking the rear wheel when riding alone, does not guarantee the brakes doing the same with a passenger.

I'd have to agree with Yamahahaha, unless you plan on going on the tracks with this bike, or ride like a hooligan; the stock brakes should be more than sufficient for normal commuting.
All I plan to do is upgrade to steel braided lines and better pads when the time comes. This bike does not need no over kill brakes because corner speed is everything on a light weight under powered bike. I went thru the Los Angeles forest today and didnt really even use the brakes at all my average speed was 55 to 85 mph in most of those turns. Folks are complaining about the brakes when for driving to work and around town its just fine. For track riding Im sure the stock calipers with better pads and lines is more then enough. I will post a track video after I go to the track on June 7 to lay these rumors rest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any video from that track day?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I never did understand the "needing better brakes" on anything that you can lock up the tires on. Just how good do they need to be? Is there any difference between locking them up and REALLY locking them up?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I never did understand the "needing better brakes" on anything that you can lock up the tires on. Just how good do they need to be? Is there any difference between locking them up and REALLY locking them up?
Exactly, if you can lock the wheels, your brakes are working well enough. Beyond that you might want to look at stickier tires :p

Now, improving the *feel* of your brakes is something I can get behind. I have only so far replaced the lines with Spiegler lines and the feel and solidity of the lever and the braking power is way better (not squishy any longer). Of course, some of this might be due to bleeding the brakes properly. I'm not convinced dealers do a good job.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Might not be used to them yet

I find mine feeling odd. It's been a while since I've ridden other bikes, but my rear brake is barely there. I know the front has way more stopping power, but I can't apply them both at the same time, or my nose drops hard. I mostly use the rear and add front brake slightly to it.
Am I just not used to this bike yet, and this is normal? Please tell me how your rear brakes feel. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I find mine feeling odd. It's been a while since I've ridden other bikes, but my rear brake is barely there. I know the front has way more stopping power, but I can't apply them both at the same time, or my nose drops hard. I mostly use the rear and add front brake slightly to it.
Am I just not used to this bike yet, and this is normal? Please tell me how your rear brakes feel. Thank you.
Same here weak rear brakes. I use mostly front brake but when I apply the rear it seems like it has little effect.

·
Registered
247 Posts
My rear brake feels OK, but then again I don't expect a lot from it. It might be worth bleeding them and making sure the cap is looking OK on the reservoir. My dealer screwed mine up.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
A lot of MSF courses emphasize the rear brake, but remember only about 20-25% of stopping power is in the rear. So 'weak' rears are par for the course. Rode HD's for years, and they're all about rear braking - but they have more weight on the rear, have generally low rider position and don't really corner brake well, so that was the norm for that bike. For lighter sport bikes, you use the front brake most of the time - I barely use the rear at all on my bikes these days (except for the "tractor"). With braided lines, you can lock the front if you grab a handful on the R3 stock MC/caliper - not sure yet how they will do when hot, but at 'normal' temps they seem to be adequate. I have Brembo on some other bikes, and their stuff is money well spent - I may go with that set-up for the front later - sweet. The rear, not gonna mess with (just have to have it on there to pass tech).

·
Registered
856 Posts
Australia has the stupid ABS,
aside from all the problems that come with Anti brakes, (headlift stands, rearset mounting, 4kg weight penalty, fast wheel fitting, sensor care, etc etc etc)
they are diabolically hopeless on the road, on the track they will be useless.

No idea what the rear is like, I don't use them, so the pedal is adjusted down out of the way.

Will try some EBC HH sintered pads to see if it can at least be half decent, my track has the hardest braking zone in Au.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts