Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
Probably easier to remove the panels. I've had no reason to replace my throttle cable... But, you may try removing the ends of the cable from the throttle and engine.. then taping the new cable to the old. Overlap the ends a few inches, and tape over the ends so it's not too bulky, but will stay together while you pull it through. I'd probably tape this from the bottom, while leaving the new cable resting on the ground, and pulling the old cable upwards from the throttle. Just be sure to stop pulling when you get close, so you don't loose the bottom end into the fairings... It's easier to pull a cable than it is to push one.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We all know im a terrible mechanic. Which is probably why it snapped in the first place(zero throttle free play.) Ive never had this happen before either, and have no idea how to replace it. dont even know for sure if its the cable, but bought a used cable anyway.. Install pending.

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
Sorry for the problems you're having. I'm not sure I'd recommend doing this if you're uncomfortable at all. Any problems with a sticking, or uneven throttle throw could really be dangerous.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sorry for the problems you're having. I'm not sure I'd recommend doing this if you're uncomfortable at all. Any problems with a sticking, or uneven throttle throw could really be dangerous.
Thanks my dood! Dont worry, problems is my middle name.. Max Problems Pressure. Sling warned me about my throttle free play. I made a meme about it. Im never comfortable working on my bike broo, but i must make this happen. Plus, im back on my meds, and my Mom thinks I can do it.👍

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's been a couple years since I've done it, but I know that I had to pull fairings on the left side and if remember correctly; I also pulled the gas tank to make it easier. I installed the Norton Racing Throttle Kit. Basically is an 1/8th turn throttle. I'm super happy with it for anyone who's interested.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My references to pages and sections regard the Enhanced Service Manual
I refuse to write a sensible tutorial (maybe later); here's my mind-numbing grammar for you...
  • Do the research before you start (get familiar with what parts you need to remove, get familiar with the process)
    • Read through the entire Table of Contents of each section and jot down the sections you think you'll need... Things like "removing center cover" and "torque specs"
  • Gather the proper tools for the job
  • Get some sleep
    • Start when you're well-rested if you can
  • Take your time on the repairs
    • If you're not sure of a step or process, set the tools down and ask for help
  • Take a photo of each section of your bike before you start disassembling it
Because I had to dump old (yellow) gas out of my tank, I just removed the tank and could remember when I replaced my throttle cable, I
  • Remove the pillion seat
  • Remove the center cover (refer to p145, section 4-2 (removing the center cover))
  • Remove the seat
  • Disconnect the battery ground (don't skip this step, it's for your safety)
  • Remove the left & right panels that border the seat and gas tank (refer to p147, section 4-4 (removing the side panels))
  • Remove the gas tank cover (4 bolts total, left/right side; take your time removing this cover)
  • Snap a photo of the bike for reference now
  • Remove and set the gas tank aside (you don't need to disconnect the gas lines) (refer to p350, section 7-1 (fuel tank diagram))
    • To access the top of the throttle cable to throttle body mount
    • This way provides easy access to the throttle cable where it connects to the throttle bod(ies).

Because you must detach this part from the throttle body (to replace the throttle cables), it's best to start here.

Snap a photo of the bike for reference now

Once you remove the two bolts that connect the throttle cable to the throttle body, you will have the slack to disconnect the cables from the throttle bodies tube. They're attached just like any brake cable on bicycles and clutch cables on motorcycles are.

The throttle tube is inside the throttle tube housing; remove the two screws attaching the two halves together, then remove the third screw securing the throttle cable bracket to the throttle tube housing.

Be sure you connect the accelerator and decelerator cables correctly. Pay attention to what you're doing and where the cables go before you just strip the throttle cable out. Actuate the throttle a few times if you need to and develop the sense of why it's connected how it is.

Take pictures - lots of pictures to reference in case you disconnect the throttle cable and don't know how it goes back on (especially for the throttle tube).

Snap a photo of the bike for reference now

At this point you should have the slack to remove the throttle cables from the throttle tube.

Refer to these sections for cable routing:
  • p76, section 2-43 (cable routing, handlebars front)
  • p82, section 2-49 (cable routing, engine left side)
  • p86, section 2-53 (cable routing, engine top view)
It won't make sense until you're doing it; refer to the manual on how to get to the gas tank bolts. Also refer to the manual when you're tightening bolts, as you will need their torque specs on reassembly.

This isn't very helpful to a first timer - I know. But maybe someone here knows a tutorial they can link you.

Once it's disassembled and before you remove the throttle cable entirely, take a break.
Let your mind relax and hydrate before you get back to work; rest is just as important as work.

Also, as you go along (or when you're reassembling), clean up everything you can see or touch. Keep a can of air (buy at an office supply store) nearby to blow off dirt wherever you see it, just to keep things "under the hood" nice and clean.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for all the help Fam. I appreciate and respect you all. Thanks to you guys i now have some good info to go on. Ive always been pro at dissasembling bikes. Putting them back together.. Not so much. Could you try to explain a throttle replacement procedure, like you would a motard; or moto Kindergartener?

·
Registered
249 Posts
The throttle cables on the R3 are a pain to replace. I would know, I've changed throttle cables twice due to crash damage. Basic thing to know is this:

1) Remove the fairings on the tank and left side of the bike.
2) Remove the screws as per the 1st diagram provided by bennyrides. You should now see the throttle cable mounted to the throttle body.
3) Remove the throttle cable from the throttle tube on your handlebar
4) Undo the 2 5mm allen head screws on the throttle cable mounting plate holding it to the throttle body as shown in the 2nd diagram provided by bennyrides.
5) Unhook the throttle cable retainers from the throttle body cam

Installation is basically doing the same thing in the reverse order. Good Luck!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The throttle cables on the R3 are a pain to replace. I would know, I've changed throttle cables twice due to crash damage. Basic thing to know is this:

1) Remove the fairings on the tank and left side of the bike.
2) Remove the screws as per the 1st diagram provided by bennyrides. You should now see the throttle cable mounted to the throttle body.
3) Remove the throttle cable from the throttle tube on your handlebar
4) Undo the 2 5mm allen head screws on the throttle cable mounting plate holding it to the throttle body as shown in the 2nd diagram provided by bennyrides.
5) Unhook the throttle cable retainers from the throttle body cam

Installation is basically doing the same thing in the reverse order. Good Luck!
Thanks bud. This is how i plan to attack it when the cable gets here, and im in a better place mentally. Until then i have been demoted back to biker kindergarten. Ive been riding my little nephews bmx bike, with no seat and no brakes. Bike life right? Its brutal. Hopefully, the install goes smooth and i can get back on Raven before my knees go out again.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yay! I got all the left plastics off, and i can post pics again!! Now what?

·
Registered
130 Posts
How we doing?...
Answer:

Once you remove the two bolts that connect the throttle cable to the throttle body, you will have the slack to disconnect the cables from the throttle bodies tube. They're attached just like any brake cable on bicycles and clutch cables on motorcycles are.

The throttle tube is inside the throttle tube housing ; remove the two screws attaching the two halves together, then remove the third screw securing the throttle cable bracket to the throttle tube housing.

Be sure you connect the accelerator and decelerator cables correctly. Pay attention to what you're doing and where the cables go before you just strip the throttle cable out. Actuate the throttle a few times if you need to and develop the sense of why it's connected how it is.

Take pictures - lots of pictures to reference in case you disconnect the throttle cable and don't know how it goes back on (especially for the throttle tube).

·
Registered
130 Posts
You did not have to remove the panels protecting the front & sides of the motor, but since you have, you might as well run through and give your bike a good Car Soap wash once you're finished with the throttle cable work.

Be careful
  • Neverspray or rinse electrical connectors with water or other non-electrical cleaner (electrical connections are behind fairings to prevent getting wet)
Since the gas tank is off, you could also:
  • Check your spark plug gap
    • Buy a can of air and after removing the spark plug boots, blow out the ports to prevent debris from falling into your cylinders (do this before removing your spark plugs)
    • Screw in spark plugs by hand using a ratchet extension and spark plug socket and do not overtighten your spark plugs (hand-snug is about the torque spec of 9.4 ft-lbs)
    • Use a 5/8 spark plug socket and at least a 6-inch ratchet extension
  • If you're using the Air Induction System, clean the reed valve underneath the AIS plate
    • If you're using a Smog Block Off Plate, cleaning the reed valve beneath the plate isn't necessary
    • Check out the section Smog/AIS Valve > Reed valve beneath the AIS plate from my write up on what the reed valve looks like and information regarding the AIS plate
  • Inspect all your hoses
  • Inspect the throttle body-to-airbox junction
  • Inspect your air filter
  • Synchronize your throttle bodies (see p119 & 120, section 3-8 & 3-9)
Caution
Don't rush putting the bike back together - if you can store the bike where it sits now, give yourself a couple days to clean the bike up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts