Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to apologize beforehand if this is not the right place to post this but I am hoping the mighty mods will let this slip because of the lack of traffic on this site.

My bike has recently been acting a little strange and gear shifts are not as smooth as they once were. Quick-shifting results in hard, hair-raising clunks and regular clutch shift usually clunk too. I've adjusted the clutch to spec and the clutch arm does not want to make the golden ratio of 90 degrees at the crank cover, it is really (picture attached) as far as it can go it seems...anyone have this issue or know about? I am skeptical about installing a new clutch pack because the bike only has ~6500 miles...I have put about 4500 of those. Maybe it is my poor shifting in the beginning that caused this? (my first bike).

All input greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Her is the image of crank cover. Since I have taken this photo, the arm has veered more to the left (larger gap)

·
Registered
476 Posts
I just looked at my clutch lever and the position appears the same as yours with the dot on the arm in alignment with the arrow up on the case. My clutch lever has minimal play, about 3mm. I do not know what spec is.
The only time I had some shifting problems was once near a scheduled oil change so I changed my oil sooner and went with Mobil One full synthetic. No problems since. But you could have some internal clutch damage from your experience. I don't ride my clutch hard and my MT-03 has about 38,000 km on the odometer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just looked at my clutch lever and the position appears the same as yours with the dot on the arm in alignment with the arrow up on the case. My clutch lever has minimal play, about 3mm. I do not know what spec is.
The only time I had some shifting problems was once near a scheduled oil change so I changed my oil sooner and went with Mobil One full synthetic. No problems since. But you could have some internal clutch damage from your experience. I don't ride my clutch hard and my MT-03 has about 38,000 km on the odometer.
Not sure where your looking, but I'm referring to the lever, which is supposed to be perpendicular to the clutch cable, in other words it should be straight at a 90 degree angle with the cable. I tried adjusting it there and all I got was a slipping clutch (overtightened cable). Spec is at 2-4 mm of play which is what I have...I dont know this issue is wierd there isnt any clutch slippage either as far as I can tell

·
Registered
476 Posts
Where did you find the info that the lever is to be perpendicular to the clutch cable? I am no mechanic but am just trying to learn more. Here is what I referenced in my earlier post:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts