Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I made this video a few weeks ago and thought I'd share it with everyone.

I'm a broke college kid trying to ball on a budget, so this is a great way to keep costs low and still be able to enjoy the bike with some piece of mind!

Also shout out to RayRay3866 for the "how to" video, quick n easy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, new owner here. Thinking about doing this mod. Now that it has been around for a while, is there a consensus on the proper way of doing this? There are so many different methods on the forums, there is no one easy to read DYI that addresses all the issues. Is relocating the brake line by drilling new holes the way to go? Are you using M6-1 75mm bolts on the top like in the video above or 35mm bolts from the bottom? Do we need spacers such as the ones Maven machined and posted in the other thread?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Okay- That video made WORK out of work.... You do NOT need to remove the top triple clamp at all!!! (and I'd advise against it)-

1) You need to support the front end in a safe manner. I used "ratchet straps" around the rafters in my garage.
2) Loop them around the top triple clamp to take the weight off the front end. (It helps if you have a rear stand to stabilize the rear end).
3) Loosen the clip-on's that are currently above the top triple clamp.
4) Remove "alignment bolt"- the Allen head screw, under the plastic cap
5) Loosen both the upper, and lower triple clamps from around the fork tubes (making sure there is ZERO weight on the front end)
6) Lift up on the ratchet straps raising the front end of the bike
7) Once the fork tubes clear the upper triple clamp, keep lifting the front end enough to get the clip-on's over the fork tubes
8) Slide the clip-on's over the fork tubes (below the top triple clamp)
9) Lower the bikes front end over the fork tubes (with the ratchet straps), aligning them with the holes in the top triple clamp
10) You will want approximately the same amount of fork tube sticking up above the upper triple clamp, as the height of the clip-on clamp
11) Tighten both the upper & lower triple clamps (making sure equal amounts of fork legs are above the top triple clamp on both sides)
12) Adjust the "rotation" of the clip-on's to your liking. You do NOT need to use the alignment bolt that goes from the top triple clamp to the clip-on. (They are only there for manufacturing purposes).... The clamps on the clip-on's will support the rotation on the fork tubes 100x over- (racers NEVER use them)
13) If you run into clearance issues with the bodywork/fairings, look at a steering-stop from Norton Motorsports- (get the steel version)

It may seem like a lot of work based on my steps.... BUT- It's MUCH easier than removing the top triple clamp. Messing with the steering system of a motorcycle- if you don't really know what your doing is an "error-likely" situation. This way removes the binding of the steering/front end of the bike. This seems like a better/safer situation for a newer/novice to change the riding position of the R3 to a more aggressive riding position- (if that is what you are going for). I hope this helps anyone out that is going for that. Good luck :p-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts