Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Tire Mounting Costs

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  R3 Boss 
#1 ·
I finally found a set of Battlax S22s in the US, and have been calling around for places to mount and balance. I have been really disappointed with the cost of mounting and balancing 2 wheels, most in this area charging more than automotive tire outlets are charging. Obviously they charge what the market will bear, but some are charging more than the cost of the tires themselves. I have been getting two quotes for mounting—one for just bringing them the wheels and one for dropping the bike off. I have no issues bringing them the wheels, so I will likely do just that. One shop even said they will charge more if the wheels need weights to balance them. WTF.

One dealer/shop quoted me $150/$268 for the mounting of two tires, and I laughed out loud.

What are you guys paying for local mount & balance for a set of new tires on your R3s?

#2 ·
The cost is always going to be more than cars. Some places in NZ even fit them to cars for free, assuming you purchased the tyres from them.

Motorbikes on the other hand can be anywhere from $40 NZD (wheel off the bike) to $80 NZD (wheel on the bike). I'd expect it to be cheaper in the US due to supply and demand.

#3 · (Edited)
You can always check with another local motorcycle dealer.. some are reasonable. The best estimate I can give would be from a major motorcycle vendor.. Cycle Gear. You would need to verify if they provide "Tire Services" in house... some don't. My local store does, and list prices as . $25 each wheel if tires were purchased through them.. $50 each wheel if purchased from another vendor. Mount and balance included... Valve stems, disposal, taxes, etc... not. Anyway, there's some idea of costs.
I only know of one other option... The last three sets of motorcycle tires I've spooned on myself have ALL been the absolute last set I'll do myself! But I just ordered a set (of Continental's that were on sale) this afternoon... that will again, be the absolute last set I install myself. ;)

#7 ·
You can always check with another local motorcycle dealer.. some are reasonable. The best estimate I can give would be from a major motorcycle vendor.. Cycle Gear. You would need to verify if they provide "Tire Services" in house... some don't. My local store does, and list prices as . $25 each wheel if tires were purchased through them.. $50 each wheel if purchased from another vendor. Mount and balance included... Valve stems, disposal, taxes, etc... not. Anyway, there's some idea of costs.
Got off the phone with all of the Cycle Gears in the Chicago area and none of them do tire mounting at all, so that erases that possibility. There aren't many dealers in the western suburbs, which is really strange, but that's what I have to work with.

#6 ·
Just got the lowest quote for the tires and mounting/balancing for $397 for everything. It's $60 less if you bring them the wheels off the bike. I still need a front stand if I want to do that myself.

Man, you guys with your $25 mounting costs are lucky. Even in a major metropolitan area like Chicago, we don't have that many non Harley dealers, and the costs for tire mounting have been insane. That shouldn't cost more than the tires.

#9 ·
I still need a front stand if I want to do that myself.
If you have access to a floor jack (that's normally used to jack up autos) you can safely lift the front of the bike by placing a board or plywood square between the jack and the R3's engine. If done carefully, you could do this with the rear end up and on it's rear stand.. so both wheels can be removed at the same time.

#8 ·
Tire prices are out of control. I took off my wheels(without trackstands), gave them to Jim. I picked them up 2 days later. $250 mounted and balanced Conti motions.What really grinds my gears is the fact that the technology is there to make airless grippy tires that last forever!

#10 ·
Ug, dealers are doing that again? That was the case in the late '90's and early 2000's - I was quoted $90 a tire to change back then. It drove me to get my own tire changing rig. My suggestion would be to get in touch with whatever local motorcycle racing club is near you, and ask them. Often whoever their tire vendor for slicks/race DOT's will also deal in street tires, and will charge reasonable amounts for a change. If you feel up to it, you can do tires with a set of tire irons and a 14" car rim, although I'd strongly suggest having someone experienced show you how its done the first time. My first time, it took me a whole Saturday to do one tire, and I used every cuss word in my vocabulary. Now, I can do a set in an hour, which includes balancing and some TLC for the rims, chain, and cleaning all the gunk out of the deep parts of the swingarm.

#12 ·
Purchase tire spoons, bead separators, rim protectors, wheel weights, and motorcycle wheel balance tool to do it yourself. All those things together will cost less than what you’re being charged for 1 visit at your local tire shop to mount/balance. Plus, you can continue to use them for future jobs.

You can remove and install new tires fairly easily with those. You save yourself time (do it on your own time and at home) and money by doing it this way. Just look up how to’s in YouTube and you’ll be glad you did!

hope this helps 👍🏼

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.