Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owners manual and the sticker on the bike, recommends 36 psi rear but the tire sidewall states 33 psi max. I've never seen a manufacturer recommend a higher pressure than what the sidewall reads. For now I'm going with the Michelin recommended pressure at 33 for the rears and the 29 psi for the fronts. I weigh about 180 lbs. What psi are you guys running? Yes I've searched and didn't find a thread on manual vs sidewall.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm 183 lbs. and running 35 rear and 29 front. When I purchased the bike it came with the rear @ 40# and front @ 31#. When I picked up the bike from dealer for 600 mile check up. the tire pressure was back up to 40# and 30#.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
The "best" pressure is voodoo related to rider weight, style of riding, temperatures and riding surface, but 33/29 is a good 'hot' base pressure to find your sweet spot. Hot range: 30-35 rear, 28-33 front, cold will be about 2 psi less.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses my bike was delivered 32 frt and rear. I think Yamaha may end up correcting the manual at some point to match the max pressure on the rear tire sidewall, albeit it's only 3 psi.
I agree with Stirz comments it's a bit voodoo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

I´m from Brazil, state of Bahia, in a coast city, Salvador(very hot, 38ºC on summer and 29ºC on winter), my R3 came with metzeler tires, i was using 29 front 33 rear as i read in the chain guard, but a friend that is now with 12k km in his R3 told me to use 33 front and 39 back.....the bike became faster on acceleration and on cornering entry, my wheight is 194lbs(88 kg)....i´m really liking this setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts