Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a couple of threads with a little info but not with a definite answer.

Has anybody used 120/70-17 and 160/60-17 tires. Was looking to get the pirelli gt angels or bridgestone s21 evo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not terribly concerned about the weight. I don't think they will be that much heavier.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I found a 120/70/17 changes the profile to such a degree that I could no longer feel the edge of the front tire (shouldn't be an issue on the street but a huge problem at the track). I also tried a 150/70/17 (which would be fairly similar to the 160/60) and absolutely loved it, it provided more clearance and more edge grip (once again, it won't really make a difference for street riding).
My question would be why do you want these sizes? Surely s21 evo's are available in stock sizes

·
Registered
433 Posts
I havent seen the s21's or the rs10's for sale in stock size in north america yet

you guys across the pond get first dibs

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greater contact patch.

If you check bridgestones website for the s21 evo, the front tire is good but the rear isnt in the oem size.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ran the S20 evos at the track this past weekend, and they were great! Great feedback and grip, ran 28 front and 34-32 rear depending on track temp. Ran the 110 front and 140 rear, and i dont see why you would need more. I know i came around modded ninja 300s running a 160 rear, and on the straight. A pound or two on these little bikes really do hurt performance.

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you are already riding beyond the edge of the front and rear tires then give it a go. The only way the contact patch is going to increase by any important margin is if you are riding beyond the edge of the tire. Be aware you will need to run different pressures to get the most out of the tire.
**also, just because rubber is balling up on the edge of the tire and there's no chicken strips, this does not mean you are using all of the grip available

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im nowhere near the edge. Was mainly looking for more tire options. Im also going to track the bike next summer.

This was just for future reference. I still have a long way to go before i replace the stock tires.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The rear has plenty of tire options available but going up to a 120 in the front opens up a lot of new tire options that just are not offered in a 110.

·
Registered
811 Posts
S21 comes in 110 front. So there really is no reason to go to 120. Especially since the 120 isn't designed for the 3" rim on the R3. The 110 is. Going to the 150 in the S21s isn't a problem though. That is designed specifically for a 4" rim.

Bridgestone S21 info

In the end it is your decision. Please be prepared for the bike to handle differently though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Question..so a 70 series in front and 60 rear will maybe roll slower onto its side but be safe, you think? My big bike uses different aspects frt to rear..just wondering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am running a 120 front and 160 rear. The positives are rediculious amounts of grip at the track, great tire selection, etc.....

The down side is that it will throw of the speedo a little, tire warmers are a bit tight, and you do loose a little acceleration as the "new size" tires are a bit larger than the old.

I am running Michelin Power one street on the front in 120/70 and a Pilot Power 3 rear in 160. All in all I say it is worth doing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, if the rear are 160/60 would it be better to install 120/60 for the front to give a balance geometry? I'm looking to install the Pirelli Angel GT definitely 160/60 for rear would you recommend 120/60 or 120/70 for front?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Does a matching tire model matter so much between the front and the rear? Was planning on getting the Michelin 2CT in 150 for the rear, but the corresponding front is only avail in 120.

I'm fine stying with the 110 size but I'd need to get a Pilot Power up front. Would this cause any adverse handling characteristics? Otherwise I would have to go up to 120 front to get the matching set of 2 CT.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am running a 120 front and 160 rear. The positives are rediculious amounts of grip at the track, great tire selection, etc.....

The down side is that it will throw of the speedo a little, tire warmers are a bit tight, and you do loose a little acceleration as the "new size" tires are a bit larger than the old.

I am running Michelin Power one street on the front in 120/70 and a Pilot Power 3 rear in 160. All in all I say it is worth doing.
any issues with the 120 on the stock front rim ....tell me all you can because im wanting to do a 120/70 front an a 160/60 rear on mine

1 - 20 of 23 Posts