Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a more dual purpose tire setup as I ride multi surface roads, mild dirt, cobblestones, highway, pot holes etc. everyday. It is not a track bike.

I agree that the OEM spec tire sizes are the best to go with. However, a more dual purpose tire is not available in those sizes. If I move to a 120/150 tire set that will have equal gain in tire width 10mm and equal gain in tire height 7mm, then is there any reason the suspension geometry will be adversely affected? I expect slower turn in with the wider tires but I doubt if that issue will be noticeable much at the speeds I will be riding considering road conditions.

Am I missing something here, any adverse opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey man,

I have dual sport tires on my R3 and they handle just fine! There is a slight change in the steering when you move up to a 120 front tire, it's less "flickable" but it isn't crazy slow, still nimble as ****.

You'll eventually get used to it and not even notice the difference anymore, the only thing I still notice is that there is more vibration at lower speeds

(like bumper to bumper traffic) but it's because of the nobby tread you get from the dual sport tires. I went with the Shinko 705 and surprisingly they also handle well cornering

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. Think I will try out a set of the Avon Trailriders this time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What are people's thoughts on this combo:

120/70Z R17 - front tire
140/80 R17 - rear tire?

Are the proportions too far off? I read the posts on this thread about upping both tire sizes. Is this combination a bad one? My only immediate concern is the sidewall aspect ratio.... Then again, it's like .55 of an inch in difference (based on my calculations).... Thoughts?

Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts