Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Congrats on the new R3s boys. Great little bikes! Its good that youre taking it slow and practicing, practice makes perfect. Im the gnarly, oldtimey, lone wolf, type. Back in my day we didnt "practice" and we rode uphill in blizzards , on ice(roundtrip). Legends were forged. Gpz's(aka.Top gun bikes) forging on the filthy streets of Socal, all the glory to God⬆🙏 Dont worry about the drops, they happen to the best of us. Its probably good to get those drops out of the way early. Raven has been dropped at low and high speeds several times, and now she is the Queen of these filthy streets. However, the lightest drop can break or bend stuff, so make sure you check out your bike and setups. Motojitsu on yt is the slow riding and u turn guru, so go check him out. Get used to every cage on the road either trying to race you or kill you.. So, always keep your bikes and yourselves, as tiptop as possible. Pleases and Thank yous..
Forge your own Moto Legend Broos, and
Enjoy the ride.
Your boy,

Max.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live in Washington. We had a foot of snow last weekend which is a record for the last 10 years or so. We usually get only a couple inches of snow each year where I live.
Leaning the bike is so fun!!
Same here buddy I’m in Texas and we don’t get snow but when I want to ride we get snow

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rain dried up in the afternoon and i rode 18 miles.
i am very relaxed in the parking lot. But i feel rushed in the traffic with cars on my tail. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks just like my R3 👍. I'm also looking forward to better weather (AKA spring). However, I told myself I would take mine out at least once a month during the winter and so far, I have been able to. ✌ from SoDak.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks just like my R3 👍. I'm also looking forward to better weather (AKA spring). However, I told myself I would take mine out at least once a month during the winter and so far, I have been able to. ✌ from SoDak.
So will once a month 30 minute ride keep the battery charged?

·
Registered
11 Posts
It was so much fun!
While practicing U-turns, I dropped it once. But after that, I became more relaxed.
I did 35 miles altogether.
A Mustang GT wanted to race me when I was on the freeway. LOL. He probably didn't know R3 is a beginner bike. LOL.
I cannot wait for the weather to get better.

View attachment 68667
View attachment 68668
Cool, congrats on your new bike. Yeah, it's a good idea to practice & rack up some miles. Have fun while you learn.
Soon you'll be leaving Mustangs in the dust eventually, lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have clutch lever, f/r axle sliders and frame slider arriving this week.
and the weekend weather is looking nice.
i will probably go for a ride or two and won’t have time to install the new parts!! Lol
I received the back protector for my jacket yesterday and put it in. The jacket fits tighter now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Seems to have worked for me. This winter's been pretty mild so far except for having a week or so of below zero temps. Bike fired right up even after that. It does sit in an unheated garage, but seems to do just fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's best to hook it up to a trickle charger.
I would definitely have to agree. Next winter, I'm considering doing that instead. It's definitely a good idea to remove the battery and have it connected to a trickle charger somewhere inside where it can stay warm and not lose juice. If one wants to go for a ride in the winter, it's just a matter of disconnect and reconnect. Not sure how all you year-round riders do, but up in the snowy north, that's the best route to take. Thanks, sLing, for the helpful advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would definitely have to agree. Next winter, I'm considering doing that instead. It's definitely a good idea to remove the battery and have it connected to a trickle charger somewhere inside where it can stay warm and not lose juice. If one wants to go for a ride in the winter, it's just a matter of disconnect and reconnect. Not sure how all you year-round riders do, but up in the snowy north, that's the best route to take. Thanks, sLing, for the helpful advice.
Why would you disconnect the battery if you have a trickle charger ? My triple charger is directly mounted to the battery with the pigtail it came with plug and got. I'm not being a smartass I'm a new rider as well a 2020R3 as well I put a new muffler carbon fiber . Trickle charger and put a throttle tube from a R6 it shortens the throttle doesn't increase horsepower but gets you off the line much faster . MAX WRIST IS A GOOD SOURSE OF INFO . CHECK THEM OUT YOU TUBE MAX WRIST .COM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why would you disconnect the battery if you have a trickle charger ? My triple charger is directly mounted to the battery with the pigtail it came with plug and got. I'm not being a smartass I'm a new rider as well a 2020R3 as well I put a new muffler carbon fiber . Trickle charger and put a throttle tube from a R6 it shortens the throttle doesn't increase horsepower but gets you off the line much faster . MAX WRIST IS A GOOD SOURSE OF INFO . CHECK THEM OUT YOU TUBE MAX WRIST .COM
Yes, one can leave the battery on the bike. I guess it all depends on circumstances. In my case, I would have to run an extension cord or two out to my detached garage and risk them getting damaged from moving snow. However, one can do whichever method they feel works best for them. I won't disagree with one over the other, was just putting my thoughts out there.

·
Super Moderator
1,278 Posts
Better if you can top it up once a week (lead acid battery, that is). I use a programmable timer + 750mA battery tender. It kicks on for 15 minutes every 6 hours. I do not like it to do a whole charge topping cycle.

Lead acid can lose as much as 2% charge a day. That's 45% in a month (1 - (0.98 ^ 30)). You don't want that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts