Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, since my R3 has quickly become a dedicated track bike, I was wondering what sort of maintenance "schedule" most of you follow with a track/race bike. Mileage is allot lower than street riding so going by mileage doesn't make sense anymore. Any suggestions are appreciated :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
A lot of it is still similar, in that it is per need/per inspection.

Chains and sprockets still get changed when you can visually see they are too stretched or have flat spots.

Tires get changed as per need.

Brakes and brake fluid are as per visual/feel need.

Filters would probably still last the same mileage, maybe even more depending on the kind of environments you ride in.

As per oil, I'd do 3 or so track days on a particular oil and get it sent in for an inspection. See what they say, and adjust your mileage as necessary. I'd still continue to do this every once in a while to see how the engine is wearing in.

Shocks will get new oil more often depending on how you rode on the street.

Really, with track riding, unless you're pushing every last ounce of performance out of it a lot of the equipment will still last a long time. I have almost a dozen track days on my S1000RR and I'm not terrible around a track and I still haven't used all of my brakes. I still change my oil at 3,000 miles on Castrol RS with various track days and am having right at expected wear. I've changed my brake fluid a few times but otherwise, it all lasts a while.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi everyone, since my R3 has quickly become a dedicated track bike, I was wondering what sort of maintenance "schedule" most of you follow with a track/race bike. Mileage is allot lower than street riding so going by mileage doesn't make sense anymore. Any suggestions are appreciated :)
Heya Rachael, I would agree with the tires and the chain that was posted,I would add that in most track days your running 20 minute sessions and in a whole day that is a lot of time.

For the cost of oil and an OEM filter I would do it after every other track day these little bikes are ridden real hard and have a LOT less oil than the bigger bikes.

Brake fluid...I change my teams brake fluids after ever weekend ( I like 100%) I run Motul RBF6 and its approx $20.00 per container and if you always start with new fluid you always are that..100%. I have talked to a lot of people that say thats overkill....I say ok....run it for as long as you want and when you change it it will feel amazing again...why not be amazing all of the time Also remember that brake fluid is Hygroscopic...Just my $.002

·
Registered
424 Posts
Oil + filter every second track day
Oil and adjust chain each track day
Brake fluid change with pads (usually last ~4months for me)
Fork oil yearly
Clean air filter monthly
Change water in cooling system every 6 months
Everything else as it wears out

·
Registered
16 Posts
Everyone has their preference. But engine oil and chain are your number one to-do and if you have the budget/time you should do those before every track weekend. Your tires will last a looooong time since its a small bike (maybe a whole year) so just have them checked by the tire guy at the track occasionally. Always check fluids before a weekend as well. You want you bike to be running its best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts