Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

So I am relatively new to track day riding.

2016 Was my first year

and 2017 is my 2nd season.

Initially, the coaches said, dont mess with the rear brake

When did you start? What situations? How do you prevent the rear brake from locking up?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Trail braking doesn't have to include the use of the rear brake. I started trail braking after about 6months at the track and it slowly improved to where I was braking much harder and deeper in to the corner (more than you think is possible when you start). All of my trail braking has been done with the front brake only.
I'm trying to add the rear brake in to my riding at the moment but it's still very early days

·
Registered
169 Posts
Generally I've found that when I brake hard enough into a corner, my rear wheel will have almost no traction, then during the turn in I just use the front. I don't ever seem to use rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I also don't ever use the rear. I am not sure when I learned to trail brake but I definitely use that skill more and more now on the track.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My trail braking came from riding the mountains. I used to use the rear all the time to help settle out the bike, but as I got faster I moved to only using the fronts and braking deep into the turn. This is one thing that has helped me immensely on the little bike due to the ability to carry speed. Now I need to work on my body positioning and mental game lol! They warn about the rear every track day I've been to and the one guy that defended it almost went down in front of me when he locked the rear of his SV.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The only time I have ever used the rear brake on a track is when I blew the right hand turn at Little Tally and went through the grass. I used both front and rear to get slowed down enough to safely return back to the track.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah

So , when I heard trail brake. I thought it was using the rear brake.

Thanks for clearing this up!

Right now, I am nearly only braking when I am straight up before the lean.

I know with the r3, there are things you can do with it, that you cant do on a big bike.

Totally loving it!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got an email back from ken hill on some tips to improve.

He said I was braking too early and not long enough. (trail braking)

https://youtu.be/UMr9FJJWjjA

so I did a side by side video. Good thing is , his bike was stock with rear light. so I could see when he is braking and on my video you can see my hand, so you know when I am braking.

My fastest time was 1:58 .. I hope to trim some more time off by learning to brake later, and hold it a bit longer...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Regarding body position I'd say get your head down close towards your handle bar. Lower your and the bike's centre of gravity. It will help mid turn with stability, letting you get round the corner faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
538 Posts
I got an email back from ken hill on some tips to improve.

He said I was braking too early and not long enough. (trail braking)

https://youtu.be/UMr9FJJWjjA

so I did a side by side video. Good thing is , his bike was stock with rear light. so I could see when he is braking and on my video you can see my hand, so you know when I am braking.

My fastest time was 1:58 .. I hope to trim some more time off by learning to brake later, and hold it a bit longer...
Ken Hill seems to know his stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ken Hill seems to know his stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yeah i started to in August September and dropped 8 seconds off my time at thunderbolt and lightning... So it was quantum leap for me..

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts