Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through quite a few tire reviews. What I've learned is it's either testing for one extreme or another. Either a street tire or a full blown on warmers track tire. What about a tire for street/track that does not need warmers? In the sizes I'm used to running, this would have been a Dunlop Q3 or a Michelin Pilot Power 3 for me. New to the smaller tires, are there any good options as my R3 will be primarily track, but I'm not yet ready to jump in to warmers (or should I?) and will run it on the street up in the mountains as well. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I find Pirelli Rosso II or III to be just fine for trackdays. Just take it easy first lap or two while you warm them up and or scrub them off the first time since the last track experience.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find Pirelli Rosso II or III to be just fine for trackdays. Just take it easy first lap or two while you warm them up and or scrub them off the first time since the last track experience.
The Rosso II was the closest I found in the reviews, but they seemed to deem it a "sport touring" tire due to its harder compound when compared to the more sport oriented offerings (in larger sizes). That sounds like it may be the way to go though. Thanks!

·
Registered
237 Posts
What about the Bridgestone S20 EVO vs. Pirelli Rosso II?
My sanction requires a DOT-legal tire for its supersport class. I will be running Bridgestone this year as they offer the best contingency payouts. I plan on running an R10 120mm front with an RS10 rear. I've heard great things about the R10 front for racing, but not the best about the RS10 rear.

Either way, that's the route I know many others have gone that run 'stones, and that's the setup I will be running too. The tread patterns are aggressive for street tires, but that might also be a good hybrid setup for you to consider.

Reactions: BMiller

·
Registered
424 Posts
My choice would be the Bridgestone s20, next would be the Diablo Rosso 2. I have RACED on both and they would be great for Street as well.
I would definitely suggest tire warmers though.... track time is expensive so why waste time having to get your tires up to temp (plus you'ld be able to set more constant pressures)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My choice would be the Bridgestone s20, next would be the Diablo Rosso 2. I have RACED on both and they would be great for Street as well.
I would definitely suggest tire warmers though.... track time is expensive so why waste time having to get your tires up to temp (plus you'ld be able to set more constant pressures)
I'm assuming you'd run a low temp setting on the warmers for a street/track tire like the S20 then? I'm not against using warmers, I just wanted a dual purpose street/track tire until I get used to the bike and possibly source a second set of wheels. After that I'm fine with moving up to track specific tires that require warmers. I'm still new to that aspect of riding though, so baby steps.:D

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm assuming you'd run a low temp setting on the warmers for a street/track tire like the S20 then? I'm not against using warmers, I just wanted a dual purpose street/track tire until I get used to the bike and possibly source a second set of wheels. After that I'm fine with moving up to track specific tires that require warmers. I'm still new to that aspect of riding though, so baby steps.:D

Both of those tires would suit well, they definitely aren't track only tires. Here in Australia these were the 2 types of tires used on ninja 250/300's racing prior to the new race tires that are now available in sizes to suit our little bikes (i.e. Pirelli supercorsa's, rs10's, alpha 13z). Most people just used standard non-adjustable tire warmers (myself included), they don't require warmers but you'll still get benefit from warmers

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both of those tires would suit well, they definitely aren't track only tires. Here in Australia these were the 2 types of tires used on ninja 250/300's racing prior to the new race tires that are now available in sizes to suit our little bikes (i.e. Pirelli supercorsa's, rs10's, alpha 13z). Most people just used standard non-adjustable tire warmers (myself included), they don't require warmers but you'll still get benefit from warmers
I went ahead and ordered the S20 EVOs. Can't really beat $188 shipped :D

My concern with using warmers on a street oriented tire is that some people would do that on their Q2's and Q3's in the past and it would get them so hot that they would get greasy. I've only personally experienced that on a set of Q2's near the end of a hot track day at Road Atlanta and on an RC51. I'm sure the power/weight + heat + improper psi near end of day were all factors and I wasn't using warmers. I've heard on the little bikes this is less of an issue, but once again there are so many opinions on it that trial and error seem to be the best. Thank you for the feedback. I'll probably run some miles up on these in the twisties out here before heading to a track day and get a feel for how fast they heat up.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Daaaamn! $188 shipped is all? I wish I could get Supercorsas for anywhere near that price lol. I was thinking I'll be happy if I can find a set of race tires for $350. I'm just afraid to really push it hard on the S20s or Diablo Rossos. @VULGR, were those really that good for racing? I can't imagine them being as grippy as the Supercorsas. I'm not worried about the rears since these bikes don't have much power, but I'm more concerned with the front.

Have you noticed an improvement in lap times going from those 2 to whatever you're running now?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Daaaamn! $188 shipped is all? I wish I could get Supercorsas for anywhere near that price lol. I was thinking I'll be happy if I can find a set of race tires for $350. I'm just afraid to really push it hard on the S20s or Diablo Rossos. @VULGR , were those really that good for racing? I can't imagine them being as grippy as the Supercorsas. I'm not worried about the rears since these bikes don't have much power, but I'm more concerned with the front.

Have you noticed an improvement in lap times going from those 2 to whatever you're running now?
Can't go wrong with http://www.americanmototire.com

Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x BRIDGESTONE S20 EVO 110/70R-17 M/C 54H, FRONT (003261) = $85.82
1 x BRIDGESTONE S20 EVO 140/70R-17 M/C 66H, REAR (003262) = $103.09
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $188.91
FREE GROUND SHIPPING (FedEx/UPS): $0.00
Total: $188.91

·
Registered
424 Posts
Daaaamn! $188 shipped is all? I wish I could get Supercorsas for anywhere near that price lol. I was thinking I'll be happy if I can find a set of race tires for $350. I'm just afraid to really push it hard on the S20s or Diablo Rossos. @VULGR, were those really that good for racing? I can't imagine them being as grippy as the Supercorsas. I'm not worried about the rears since these bikes don't have much power, but I'm more concerned with the front.

We are still restricted on what tires I can race with due to the racing regs
http://www.asbk.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/MA-Tyre-Homologation-List-2016-v7-Mar16.pdf

I use Pirelli supercorsa's now (same as majority), there are a couple of competitors that use the Dunlop alpha 13z as well. Times have improved 1-2% generally, most local racers are still significantly slower than I was on the s20's even though they are now using the supercorsa's. The profile and the feedback of the supercorsa are miles better than the s20 and DR2.

*note- if we re talking about front only, I prefer the alpha 13z

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
We are still restricted on what tires I can race with due to the racing regs
http://www.asbk.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/MA-Tyre-Homologation-List-2016-v7-Mar16.pdf

I use Pirelli supercorsa's now (same as majority), there are a couple of competitors that use the Dunlop alpha 13z as well. Times have improved 1-2% generally, most local racers are still significantly slower than I was on the s20's even though they are now using the supercorsa's. The profile and the feedback of the supercorsa are miles better than the s20 and DR2.

*note- if we re talking about front only, I prefer the alpha 13z
Unless someone's paying me or giving me big discounts I'm staying loyal to Pirellis. It's what I like the best after trying all 4 major brands, on various bikes in both slicks and DOT's. I'll probably end up paying the $365 what it costs around here to get a set of Supercorsas...at least they last a lot longer on these bikes than on 600s/1000s lol

What compound do you run, SC1 or SC2?

Reactions: VULGR

·
Registered
424 Posts
Unless someone's paying me or giving me big discounts I'm staying loyal to Pirellis. It's what I like the best after trying all 4 major brands, on various bikes in both slicks and DOT's. I'll probably end up paying the $365 what it costs around here to get a set of Supercorsas...at least they last a lot longer on these bikes than on 600s/1000s lol

What compound do you run, SC1 or SC2?

We're restricted to sc1 front, sc2 rear so that's all I have tried. Tires on these small bikes last nearly 10times longer than on my zx6

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We're restricted to sc1 front, sc2 rear so that's all I have tried. Tires on these small bikes last nearly 10times longer than on my zx6
That was my next question, I was curious with the more track specific tires how many days/races/weekends, however you measure it...and it can vary from track to track etc., you get out of a set? I'm not doing that much track riding, but I plan to increase that quite a bit this year and next.

Great info guys, thank you!

·
Registered
424 Posts
That was my next question, I was curious with the more track specific tires how many days/races/weekends, however you measure it...and it can vary from track to track etc., you get out of a set? I'm not doing that much track riding, but I plan to increase that quite a bit this year and next.

Each persons pace and riding style varies how long a tire will last. At the pace I was riding on my zx6 I would need need to flip the rear after 1/2 a day and it'ld have to be thrown out by the end of the day. I don't really keep count of how long my tires last anymore but I do remember one set lasting ATLEAST 2 full practice days, 8x 20min qualifying sessions and 12x races and it still looked a lot better compared to one practice day on the zx6.
Unfortunately I couldn't even give you an estimate on how long the s20's would last for YOU

One of my races from the end of 2015 for your enjoyment. I was on Bridgestone 20's, the other racer in shot was on Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2's. Field of about 20racers but there was a significant gap behind us (spoiler- crash was last lap, last corner)

https://youtu.be/TX3yi29z9_Y

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Each persons pace and riding style varies how long a tire will last. At the pace I was riding on my zx6 I would need need to flip the rear after 1/2 a day and it'ld have to be thrown out by the end of the day. I don't really keep count of how long my tires last anymore but I do remember one set lasting ATLEAST 2 full practice days, 8x 20min qualifying sessions and 12x races and it still looked a lot better compared to one practice day on the zx6.
Unfortunately I couldn't even give you an estimate on how long the s20's would last for YOU

One of my races from the end of 2015 for your enjoyment. I was on Bridgestone 20's, the other racer in shot was on Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2's. Field of about 20racers but there was a significant gap behind us (spoiler- crash was last lap, last corner)

https://youtu.be/TX3yi29z9_Y
Thank you, that is precisely the information I was wanting (just personal experiences as I'm aware there are to many variables). I'd heard the small displacement bikes really don't eat up tires. I'm also coming from a ZX6R as my last track bike, but I was at more of a Novice/Intermediate track day rider pace and on Q3 street tires.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Wow, that's quite the restriction. I'm amazed they even restrict the compounds there. We can run whatever the **** we want around here, except for in the supersport classes where they have to be DOT's (not slicks). But they don't care about what brands or compounds or what sizes. I noticed on little bikes the rears wear out at a very similar rate as the fronts, unlike bigger bikes where I typically do 1 front for ever 2 rears. So I'm thinking I'll probably go with SC1 for both front and rear.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

Thank you, that is precisely the information I was wanting (just personal experiences as I'm aware there are to many variables). I'd heard the small displacement bikes really don't eat up tires. I'm also coming from a ZX6R as my last track bike, but I was at more of a Novice/Intermediate track day rider pace and on Q3 street tires.
Sounds like VULGR is at a pretty fast pace based on his numbers, so whatever he said you could probably almost double for you. I can tell you that for me, on my ZX6R (must be a popular choice apparently lol), a rear tire lasts me about 2-3 track days at advanced level pace depending on the track. I'm also kinda of a cheapskate and I'm the type that gets the most out of their tires, so even when I notice my pace is slowing down because there's less grip, I'll still put a whole day on it whereas others would throw it away and put in a new one. On my 1198, I ran a Michelin slick all the way to the cords once. I had traction control on it and it was working overtime to keep the rear in check. I think my pace was like 5-6 seconds slower than my best at that point though :D

On my CBR500, a set of race tires lasted me basically the whole season. It's a bit hard to interpret it because I did 15 track days/race days combined, however since I have 2 bikes, I ran the 500 for about 60% of the time and zx6r for 40% roughly. So I'd say a set of race tires on that bike would last me easily 8-10 days. That's all at advanced level pace for track days, and amateur racing pace for the races.

Reactions: BMiller
1 - 20 of 35 Posts