Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Having been to a few of these, I'll give my $0.02:

Reg Pridmore's CLASS - Not quite what it used to be. Reg is a great guy, and they put on a pretty good track day. But it's really just that...a track day that has a little bit of classroom "instruction". No real drills to speak of. Not bad value for the money, but don't expect to learn as much as you would from some of the other more intensive schools that actually do drills to practice what you learn in the classroom.

Yamaha Champions School - No, it isn't cheap, but it is a phenomenal school. They even offer R3s for the school now, so you can learn on the same kind of bike that you are riding on the street. Amazing drills, very well explained concepts. This school really should be a requirement for new and experienced riders alike. Ken Hill also does some coaching outside of the school, through Rickdiculous Racing and at select track days. Google Ken Hill Coaching and/or Rickdiculous Racing. Ken really is an amazing coach. He helped me cut large amounts of time off my lap times, and I started getting on the podium after only a few sessions working with him. Ken and the rest of the guys at YCRS are worth their weight in gold.

Texas Tornado Boot Camp - I went to the camp that followed the inaugural Austin GP. I went hoping to rub elbows with some MotoGP stars, and didn't really have much expectations for the actually coaching. The Espargaro brothers showed up, which was cool, but what really left me wanting more was how much we learned. Great coaching, great drills, sooooo much riding. Great food, good beer, shooting big guns. I learned a ton, and it's helped my road racing quite a lot. I hope to go again sometime soon. Colin, his family, and the instructors are all really great people.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Rickdiculous seems to be getting high marks from those who have done his school. I have no first-hand knowledge other than meeting some of their guys - seem to be good people.

http://rickdiculousracing.com/
I've been to a couple of Rickdiculous days at Thunderhill. The first one I went to, there were literally only 6 or 8 bikes on track. I think they have upped the numbers a little to keep costs down, but it's still waaaay fewer bikes on track than a typical track day or even other riding schools. I had tons of clear track time without traffic, and great 1:1 coaching from Ken and a few other excellent instructors. They followed me with video and then we de-briefed on lines, body position, brake and throttle, etc after every session. I think I cut about 8 seconds off my T-Hill lap times after that first day.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Good to hear. When I spoke with Ken, he was saying that they intentionally wanted to keep class size small and that they were booked solid for at least 6 months. They are not in it to make money (they are independently well-off - Crown Royal) - they do it because they love it and want to do it, which is pretty cool if you can pull it off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts