Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 715 miles on the R3. First service done. From now til 1000 miles not to exceed or ride over 8400rpm. Sign up for track tomorrow or wait to pass 1000mi and wait for next track day to use all rpms? Thanks.

·
Registered
856 Posts
May/June 2015 new-
4 x 20 min/40km heat cycles (allowing 6+ hrs to cool)
progressively increasing ie 9500, 11,000, shift light, then redline.
Hard on the road, but all gears, loads, speeds up and down.
Dropped Oil and Filter. 160km

June 2015
Fitted used DR2's Raised pegs, lowered the bars, reversed the **** linkage and did Group 3 (advanced coaching)Trakdayz
all sessions + half the group 2 sessions to help out.
Broke my 250cc PB in the 4th session.
Hitting revlimiter constantly as 4th a bit low and 5th was a bit high for a new tight engine.
Am also brutal on downshifts which gets the engine spinning way fast.
Dropped Oil, 360km

October 2015
Group 3 Trakdayz on new Bridgestones.
Dropped Oil and filter bled brakes 560km

December 2015
did 5 laps of a Training circuit,
spat a clip type master link (don't use them)

Havnt ridden since 600km on clock
No Dealer 1000km 'first service.' but will shortly with the new clutch and Oil pump parts.
Silky smooth engine, all stock , stock exhaust, cleanly pulls to 193kph speedo redline top gear stock 14/43 gearing.
Factory recommended Yamalube mineral and 91RON std unleaded.

Just change your oil and filter before hand
(if not done yet, earlier the better)
and the oil after.

@VULGR took a brand new R3 out into practice sessions for ASBK.

·
Registered
424 Posts
^yep, mine has barely seen anything below redline, it has only been ridden @ 100% (except for cool down laps) and has only been ridden at the race track. It's only done 3 race meets though but I expect it to outlast my ownership

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
1 mi on odo, warmed up at dealer lot, red line before my first shift into 2nd gear, first oil change at 1200 ... 3K miles now, and my bike hasn't fallen apart yet. Some people view the 600/1K mile thing as legal talk to slow first timers down and/or get you back to the dealer asap for another $200.

Don't worry!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was wondering the same thing myself, and I think I'm going to not worry about it too much.
Side question, the owners manual doesn't mention a valve check during initial service. Is it needed then? I can do the rest of the list myself, so if I don't have to take it in and spend all that $$, I'd rather not.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Cool, all stuff I can take care of then, and plenty of time to learn about the valve check and get the right tools.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A break in period is for your engine parts to properly mate. If you are over 600mi you dont run any risk to the engine. Just make sure you do any necessary servicing beforehand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts