Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The discussion on our forum has been focusing on whether the R3 will be a 300cc motorcycle, r a 3-cylinder motorcycle. While Yamaha's usual naming convention would suggest that the R3 name would denote a 300cc bike, there was a bit of confusion because Yamaha had stated that it has plans to introduce more three-cylinder engines following the FZ-09.

Well, it seems we can almost put this discussion to rest as a new trademark application filed by Yamaha for the name FJ-09 reinforces the notion that the R3 will be a 300cc bike. The FJ-09 name likely indicates that Yamaha is planning a new sport-touring model using the same triple as the FZ-09. This sports-tourer bike makes more sense than a triple sportbike.

So, it seems that this trademark filing has all but laid to rest the debate over what exactly the R3 will be. are you happy or sad about this new revelation? I suppose the good news if you were hoping for a new 3-cylinder, it may not be the R3, but Yamaha is still making something brand new for you. The new FJ-09 would slot in nicely under the FJR1300A and FJR1300ES in Yamaha's sport-touring lineup, possibly replacing the FZ1.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just think that this trademark filing probably puts to rest the discussion on whether the r3 is 3-cylinder or 300cc. I think it is fairly safe to assume that it is going to be a 300cc sportbike. Basically all signs point to that it is just the absence of an official word from Yamaha.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I dont think there ever should of been confusion that the R3 was a 300cc. The R series naming scheme already dictated that.

R1= 1000
R6= 600
R15= 150

Yamaha has always dropped the zeros. Considering the Triple from FZ09 is 847cc's it just wouldn't work. I'm of the opinion that if there is a sport bike based on the triple its going to be called FZR or FAZZER like was done with FZ6 and FZ8...

·
Registered
665 Posts
I mean as a sport bike in it's segment it's close enough to being like a true superbike, my bad!

·
Registered
391 Posts
yep sounds around right

i wear that hat and ride donkeys and have my own taco stand.
whats the trade in value of that donkey going to be on R3? definitely going to take a hit in MPG's when using it for deliveries, have you factored this into your overhead jajahahaaaa

·
Registered
665 Posts
whats the trade in value of that donkey going to be on R3? definitely going to take a hit in MPG's when using it for deliveries, have you factored this into your overhead jajahahaaaa
In that case he might as well stick with the Donkey, It will take a lot of time for the R3 to pay for it's self, wouldn't be worth it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
A donkey can probably be a down payment for a R3 they are usually work 1k - 3k.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts