Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Shoei RF-1200 and am trying to decide if the $170 transition lens is worth the money? I generally only ride during the day but that could change.. let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't have personal experience with one, but listening in on conversations at a shop recently made them sound like they're awesome.

Having said that, my shark lid has the drop down sun visor and I love the option - easy to operate with a gloved hand, and doesn't incur and extra charge on the price of a helmet. And a Shoei RF-1200 already has a sizable price tag attached.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Transition FTW

I have the Shoei RF-1200 and am trying to decide if the $170 transition lens is worth the money? I generally only ride during the day but that could change.. let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Stop asking and GET IT LOL! I got mines a month ago and it has been great. I usually leave home for work anywhere from 7am-11am and the sun has become one less thing to worry about. It transitions without you even noticing. Same nice build quality if not better then stock shield. A lot of reviews mentioned that it doesn't get dark enough but I'm not sure what they mean. I ride in the direction of the sun for 50% of my commute and have yet to find myself squinting or altering riding position to compensate. Overall, great purchase!! Pricey, yes. Worth it, totally!

Hoped my little review helped in your decision making!

ride safe

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok cool.. yeah it is a bit annoying a $600 helmet does not at least have a tinted drop down.. lol

I think my buddies $100 Bell even came with that.. haha.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It doesn't have a tinted drop down because usually they instantly fail snell and usually come up short in safety test or are heavy.

I love my transitions lens on my bell, it's great for everything except riding directly into the sun (if the sun is in your direct line of sight near the horizon). Nothing a little bit of tape across the top of the visor can't fix.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I heard it's not as dark.. But heck, it's a good alternative for those that do not want to carry a 2nd shield. Another option is Arai's drop down visor, but on the outside. It looks kind of funny but it works! (I have one)

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's like 10% lighter than a typical smoked shield the difference isn't that large, even with a smoked shield that same time frame & horizon sun is still an issue.

I had a helmet with a drop down internal, it works well except it's still bright because it lets a lot of light escape from the edges. With the transitions overall luminosity is actually lower due to the full tint (compared to the clear w/ internal drop down).

·
Registered
542 Posts
Not sure about the shoei version, but I have one on my bell and it's amazing for me. I ride day and night and have glasses, so it's a huge help. When it was time to replace my helmet, I bought the same exact one to keep the visor. As they've said above, it's not quite as dark as a regular dark tint, but more than enough to cut glare during the day

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I have heard and read that they are too slow to transition. In my area we have a lot of tunnels so a transitional lens would make sense but if they don't clear up fast enough then there is no point in a lens for that price. My 707 has a drop down lens. I can snap my lens up or down in less than a second. From my experience, the drop down lens isn't enough, so I use the drop down and a tinted and it's just right for the bright sunny days here. The problem is in tunnels it's too dark. If I lift the drop down lens it helps but is still a bit dark for the tunnels. A combo of clear lens and drop down is probably best for tunnels but then too bright for the street.

IMO the $170 would probably go to a good pair of pants or gloves. I can't keep a $40 pair of lens clear. I would be sad if my $170 were to get scratched up.

·
Registered
346 Posts
They are slow to transition back to clear obviously it can't happen in seconds but I've had 0 issues with tunnels/dark bridges etc. I have another buddy who got one for his 1200, no complaints.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts