Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey so about a week ago I was having a bit too much fun and took a turn too fast and had to straighten out the bikes but the rear tires locked up [don't know if I should call yamaha with the recall thingy]. The front left part of the wheel hit the front tire and now the bike pulls very slightly to the left. The forks don't look bent and I still ride the bike around but the dealership is telling me i need to drop 800 on new forks.
I don't know if it's the tire itself , the forks or something else and the dealership wanted me to pay 90$ an hour for 4 hours just go find out what's wrong.

I wad hoping maybe somebody can tell me through experience.
Thanks and i attached 2 images of the front of the bike.

EDIT-
I don't know if this will help anyone diagnose a problem but before the accident the ignition lock didn't have much give to it. After I would turn it all the way to the left and lock and then check it, it would only allow me to move the bar about an inch. Now after the accident it move about 2-4 inches.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
A few things, your explanation of what happened is quite unclear. What hit what?

And as for the rear locking up, if it was the clutch bearing (which is part of the recall) you probably wouldnt be able to ride it after that. As for why it actually locked up, if could be you misinterpreting what actually happened or the less likely option the ABS system not working as intended.

As for if the forks are bent, they might be. Put your bike up on some stands, get some string and measure things out very carefully. If you are fairly adept at geometry you should be able to work out of one of the forks is slightly bent. Or, take it to a few different mechanics and if they all say the same thing then its probably that.

·
Registered
424 Posts
They might just be mis-aligned. Loosen the forks at the upper triple tree and lower triple tree then re-tighten them.
I think alignment is a lot more likely than bent forks

·
Registered
810 Posts
Anecdotal evidence from the lack of forks for sale on eBay would suggest the R3 forks are not very sturdy. I would not be surprised if one, or both of the forks is slightly bent.

Looking at the pic it appears the tire/wheel is canted slightly to the throttle side of the bike if you look at the very top of the wheel/tire. Of course, pics can be very deceptive and it could just be how you are sitting on the bike, roadway, etc... It could also be my eyes are getting old and are just seeing it wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies, I took it to 3 mechanics.
First was the dealership in which they just gave me a 1000$ tag to replace with a whole new front, they assumed the forks were bent but didn't want to take a look because it would result in 3 hours of labor.

Second was a Nice guy but he dealt with vintage bikes, he loosened up the clamps and put the tire against a wall and tried to straighten it but it didn't set. Then I told him what happened and he said he is 99% sure they are bent.

Third guy, same as the seconds guy.

When I run my hand up and down the fork it all seems straight, my guess would be the problem is in or around the triple clamp.

As for how it happened, the front left side of my tire hit a rock because my tires locked up. The front fender in the picture is new, the old one broke off at about the yamaha sign.

·
Registered
810 Posts
4 or 26 (same part# for those) for the tubes. 9 or 26 for the seals.

Your rear tire most likely locked up either because you over applied the rear brake or you down shifted to many gears for the speed you were travelling and didn't rev match properly.

I highly doubt it was a problem with the bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BRUH that took my ages lmao. I had to heat that **** and everything.....**** just roasting me. btw those are my friends feet so ill let him know. He rides a ninja sooooo........

·
Registered
424 Posts
I can't believe they wanted to charge you 3hrs labour to diagnose the problem. It should take <1hr to take the forks off, check them on a bench and re-install them. I am glad the 2nd and 3rd mechanics seemed to be more helpful

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah and considering riding season is almost up, I just want to ride the rest out then sell it around January time and upgrade.

I don't know if this will help anyone diagnose a problem but before the accident the ignition lock didn't have much give to it. After I would turn it all the way to the left and lock and then check it, it would only allow me to move the bar about an inch. Now after the accident it move about 2-4 inches.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I can't believe they wanted to charge you 3hrs labour to diagnose the problem. It should take <1hr to take the forks off, check them on a bench and re-install them.
You have to R&R the forks, then disassemble them. You have to put the inner fork tubes in machined V-blocks, and check them with a dial indicator to see if they are bent. Re-assemble and re-install. If they are bent, then parts have to be ordered.
2 to 3 hours is not unreasonable.

·
Registered
810 Posts
yeah and considering riding season is almost up, I just want to ride the rest out then sell it around January time and upgrade.

Sounds like you broke one of the steering stops on the lower triple.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You have to R&R the forks, then disassemble them. You have to put the inner fork tubes in machined V-blocks, and check them with a dial indicator to see if they are bent. Re-assemble and re-install. If they are bent, then parts have to be ordered.
2 to 3 hours is not unreasonable.

Do you really think they're going to go to do that?
I haven't seen any forks that are causing problems for the rider that don't have a bend visible by just pulling the forks off the bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you cant visibly see a bend in the fork it probably isnt bent. Jesse at YamahaR3racing.com has a nice write up on dismantling and assembling forks for a drop in spring kit and you can use bits of that to replace the tube if you need to. Sounds like you broke the steering stop. Not something to worry about. Just Fix the alignment and you should be good to go. No new fork tube needed.

http://www.yamahar3racing.com/2016/01/how-to-change-the-fork-seals-on-the-yamaha-r3/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey thanks for the replies again guy. I took it to another mechanic and he told me he doesn't think anything is bent. And you think those tubes off eBay will hold? Official yamaha ones run about 150 a piece and that's like 110 for a pair. How long have you had em.?

·
Registered
424 Posts
The forks will need to come out to definitively answer if they're bent or not. If they aren't bent then there's no need to swap them over. Those Chinese fork tubes will hold, I've replaced my ninja 300 ones with similar and crashed multiple times afterward and they're still holding up fine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dang ok, appreciate all the replies. I am scared to pull anything off the front end myself as I don't have a stand or anything like that. Guess I'm "forking" over 200$ :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts