Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha YZF-R3
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I've recently gotten my 2018 Yamaha YZF-R3 and I've been looking at getting some bits and pieces for it. Ive found some LED Halo turning signals from TST. Anyone bought and installed these before? I saw on the website that you may need a different connector or something like that?
Im also looking at some other products from TST; the tail light and potentially new tail turn signals.
Thanks!

·
Registered
368 Posts
My understanding is that TST make very good products. There are a few Youtube videos out there showing those exact flush signals.

Although they look great, I'd never spend money on making my bike less visible to other motorists. It's bad enough as it is with people not seeing you.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha YZF-R3
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My understanding is that TST make very good products. There are a few Youtube videos out there showing those exact flush signals.

Although they look great, I'd never spend money on making my bike less visible to other motorists. It's bad enough as it is with people not seeing you.
I get what you mean, but you got to think of it as all the cars cant see you anyway even with everything stock on the bike. Even with everything stock you got to be cautious at all times, so changing your signals wouldn't really be much of a difference. Thats how I see it 😁 you always got to be ready for a car to pull out in front of you no matter what

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have them on my bike and they’re visible, look nice and easy to install. I also got the integrated tail light and I’m very happy with that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just installed the integrated tail light fender delete and turn signal hyperpack bundle these are included in. They are very visible and the fit is great. Check your state laws but the rear turn signals are included in the integrated tail light in the kit.

The piece you need to slow down the blinker speed is included in the hyperpack bundle and you save 10% buying them together. It is simple to install and their instruction videos are simple to follow.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just installed the integrated tail light fender delete and turn signal hyperpack bundle these are included in. They are very visible and the fit is great. Check your state laws but the rear turn signals are included in the integrated tail light in the kit.

The piece you need to slow down the blinker speed is included in the hyperpack bundle and you save 10% buying them together. It is simple to install and their instruction videos are simple to follow.
In the US the turn signal are definitely not DOT approved. Probably not going to get pulled over for it but... a cop may give you "bs" fix it ticket for this.

·
Super Moderator
1,154 Posts
Sling's concerns are valid. Your state can mandate stricter vehicle safety laws than the Federal's regulations... but not something that is less. Quiet a few states allow for no turn signals on motorcycles... if they were built and came from the factory with none. The law doesn't apply if the lights were removed. You may never have problems in you state or local community, but that doesn't mean the lights are legal. This is one of those things lawyers and insurance companies often look for, after accidents... so they can deny compensation.... since the rider is operating with "improper equipment.. we're not responsible". Turn signals or loud unauthorized exhaust.. it's all subject to how the local law agencies enforce, or chose to ignore the regulations.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've been riding for over 40 years. I struggle with the flush mount signals on the R3. Legal or not, oncoming traffic can not see flush mount turn signals in direct sunlight... There just isn't enough sticking out to be seen. THAT is a problem!!! I've seen nearly every configuration of flush mount signal on the R3. Yeah, they look "cool" and all, and definitely add to the curb-appeal of the bike. The TST industries integrated tail light may not be "legal" in some states, but is a VERY bright, and well designed product for the back-end of the R3. My wife and I both run the R&G LED "short-stalk" signals on the front of our bikes. They are highly visible from both the front, as well as the side of the R3. They are more expensive than most the flush-mount signals out there (about $80 USD). I'd rather be "seen", than laying in a hospital bed thinking "I got a good deal on the flush mounts"- Just my two cents....

·
Registered
35 Posts
TST makes some great stuff and they are a highly reputable company. I’ve bought from them and will continue to. That said, when it comes to flush mounted turn signals the best product seems to fly under the radars. Look into a Proton 500. Available direct from www.high tech speed.com and they also sell on EBay. There are plenty of LEDs out there but these are whole different level. Think emergency vehicle strobes. Pricey, yep sorta, but I haven’t seen anything that can remotely compete with their intensity. You’ve probably heard, “man they are so bright it hurts to look at ‘em”, with these, it’s not a just a saying -you must avert your eyes. In daylight, very much still visible, brighter than the factory dancing pumpkins across the board. They also make rear bullet versions as well with the same technology. I plan
to swap to those soon when funds become available. Jake the Garden Snake on YouTube did a video install that alerted me to their existence. Check out the high tech speed website. They work. One word of caution, they do take a while to receive, so know that patience on delivery will be a given. Absolutely worth the wait though.
wedgie

·
Registered
2020 R3, 2022 Trident 660
88 Posts
when I turn left I have to yield to oncoming traffic, so the cars not seeing my turn signal is not a danger to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When it comes to any LEDs you read about online, the average person would usually describe their new purchase as "plenty bright enough" or "good enough for me".
I usually take those words with a grain of salt. Best way is buy and compare light output side by side with what you currently have and see if it is brighter or not.

Previous owner had "Oxford" Saturn rear LED turn signals on my R3.
Respectable brand selling LEDs for $60... you'd expect them to be bright.
Nope... replaced them with OEM Yamaha Accessory LED turn signals. They made the Oxford LEDs look so dim in comparison.

IMG-5593.jpg

I have no experience with the TST stuff but I've always been interested in their rear tail light.
I'd love it if someone can do a comparison shot of the TST tail light and the OEM one (running and brake).
For now all I've been reading is that their tail light is "super bright" or "plenty bright" which doesn't convince me.

I'm also running the Proton 500 flush mount LEDs, and can back up what was said by WedgeSG. Insane light output.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Also running smoked integrated tail and flush mounts with halos. Like others stated, even with the stock lights, I always rode as though no one could see them. RyanF9 did a great video about unintentional blindness. Turns out that, even if paying attention, lots of times drivers won't see motorcycles because their brains aren't trained to view them as a hazard. Turn signals aren't going to change that. And as also stated previously, it doesn't really matter if oncoming traffic can't see them because I have to yield the right-of-way regardless...

·
Registered
363 Posts
when I turn left I have to yield to oncoming traffic, so the cars not seeing my turn signal is not a danger to me.
I can respect what you're saying. Not being seen by cars (on any level) is a danger to you.... Bright /obvious turn signals can only help you, and, and can't hurt you-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts