Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Which pressures do you like?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me that the stock tyre pressures are very high. Anyone have any recommendations for better tyre pressures to make it absorb bumps more?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use 28 Frt / 32 RR. It feels a lot more compliant to bumps; additionally with those pressures the front feels more progressive in corners and the rear grips a LOOOOT more, I don't have the urge to change the tires ( specially the rear) since I started using these pressures.
One thing thought, I only do solo riding and I'm only 157 lbs...

Sent from my A1023 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I weigh 132lbs only so the bike seems to have no effect with me on it.. Right now I am running 26F and 26R and it feels to grip better but the steering feels awkward when taking slow speed roundabouts. So I better pump that front some more.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tires/tyres are not designed to absorb bumps, that's what a suspension is for. Stock pressures are typically higher because it will allow you to get longer life out of your tire for regular riding, you can lower them slightly (3-4 psi) this will give you more grip but your tire will wear faster.

If you want to have a more comfortable ride get an adjustable suspension setup to your weight and riding style. This will set you back around $1200 though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I honestly have no problem with this bike and comfort and I'm 220lbs. It actually absorbs bumps/road imperfections better than my car (car is on coilovers with a VERY stiff chassis). If you hit bump you should be using your legs to lift you off the seat slightly, shouldn't feel too bad. The suspension is pretty soft and does a pretty good job at absorbing road imperfections.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apart from the comfort, I find that running on stock pressures the bike feels very slippery especially the rear. And on loose surface it's terrible as all bikes with hard tyres.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Adjust your suspension if you want to not feel bumps. Keep your tire pressure at stock unless a more dangerous ride and increased tire wear is your kind of thing.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Yeah, air down the tires a bit if you want a smoother ride and more traction. Especially if you are a light rider.
32psi is kinda stiff for those OEM bias-ply tires. I would run 28 to 30 psi. The OEM tires last a long time.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Refer to pages 4-18 and 4-19 in your owner's manual. Or do Honda owners not consider the rear shock a part of the suspension?

·
Registered
330 Posts
So I can't adjust everything to a tee like you can on a supersport, the rear shock has a LOT to do with rider comfort and how the bike handles. Crank that bitch up and the bike will bounce like a car on cut springs. Lower it all the way and the bike will ride like a Cadillac. Maybe not that well, but you get the idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts