Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Unsure if oil level is correct (help needed)

10K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Dreadwil 
#1 ·
Hi guys, first post here.

My 2015 Yamaha R3 is at just over 28,000kms. I did an oil change at 25,000kms at the regular interval (so done around 3,000kms on this oil).

I changed the filter as well, so I added 2.1 litres of 10W40 fully synthetic oil to the engine as I have done every other change I have done. I just went to check the oil level today, and noticed the sight glass is completely empty when cold. The oil only fills the sight glass to the correct level once it has warmed up for a while. I know to only check the oil when the engine is warm, but my friend said the oil should definitely still be visible in the sight glass when it is cold. And I cant see any oil at all when it is cold. Have I under-filled the engine with oil? Or does it not matter what is in the sight glass when it is cold? FYI the bike is upright when checking this.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Cheers mate. I didn’t think anything of it because the oils in the right spot when it’s warm (photo attached is warm engine). Just had a few issues with false neutrals and incomplete shifts this oil change so thought I might’ve under filled a bit

#5 ·
When the engine is cold, the oil should be visible as well. When someone says the engine should be warm for the oil to be seen, I don't see the logic what difference would it make. Even though cold oil tends to flow less, the gravity will make it's thing.

From my experience, as long as the engine is not running, whether oil is cold or warm, it should be visible through the side glass when the bike is upright regardless.

To sum it up, two conditions should be met:

1. Engine is not running
2. The bike is standing upright

Cold or warm doesn't matter for it to be just seen through the glass.

#7 ·
Cheers for the in depth response mate, it’s appreciated. The oil is visible through the sight glass when cold (has to be upright however, when on kickstand it’s empty) and also visible when it’s warm of course. So I think I’m alright.

#12 ·
yup agree & I've always used exactly 2 liters of oil with every oil & filter change to date and it's right half way between the lines. First oil change I did I put exactly 2.1 litres as per manual and the oil was right at the top line..actually slightly over ...probably won't make a difference to the engine but I prefer to stay in the middle to be safe.

Reactions: Maxpressure520
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.