Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Wanted to gauge everyone's possible upgrade path. Right now I'm thoroughly enjoying my R3 and have my upgrade path set out 3-4 years from now. Lots of learning to still do. But definitely looking at the Triumph Daytona 675 vs. Yamaha R6. If anybody has ridden a Triumph Daytona 675 I'd love to get some reactions and thoughts.

What are your upgrade paths?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Planning now for an upgrade in 3-4 years is tough. By then an updated Daytona and R6 will have dropped which could invalidate any opinions about the current bikes.

·
Registered
164 Posts
No upgrade for me. I will add something that rocks the torque wave (Street Triple RX and Ducati's upcoming SS on the radar) but will never sell my R3. Unless finances dictate otherwise I would suggest you hang onto the R3. It's way more fun than a bigger bike 85% of the time unless you live in the land of unclogged freeways and no cops.

·
Registered
542 Posts
It's fun to play the upgrade game but usually doesn't mean much that far out. Two years ago I would not have wanted a 300, that's for sure. Your tastes change and new bikes are constantly coming out.

That being said, I'll probably go back to a bigger bike. I've had my eyes on a ktm 990 smt for a long time, but can't swing that kind of money until my truck is paid off next year. The reliability issues with ktm are also a tough one for me, considering I ride almost every day it's not snowing. The Vfr 800, fj09 and the new striple 765 are also contenders. I do a lot of commuting and am touring more each year, so a do it all bike is a big plus for me.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It will most definitely change in the next few years. Yamaha is due for an R6 update and Triumph has made it no secret their plans with the Daytona. If I was buying today, no question I'd take Daytona over the R6.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It will most definitely change in the next few years. Yamaha is due for an R6 update and Triumph has made it no secret their plans with the Daytona. If I was buying today, no question I'd take Daytona over the R6.
Maybe that's how I should've phrased this thread. I am absolutely in love with look of the Daytona and every review I've read has been positive. However, I do agree that my taste may change in the given timeframe. I am thoroughly enjoying my R3.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No upgrade for me. I will add something that rocks the torque wave (Street Triple RX and Ducati's upcoming SS on the radar) but will never sell my R3. Unless finances dictate otherwise I would suggest you hang onto the R3. It's way more fun than a bigger bike 85% of the time unless you live in the land of unclogged freeways and no cops.
When I do reach the 3-4 years it'll be a tough decision for sure. A two bike garage would be nice but I just don't see me owning two bikes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
for just sports category hopefully 250RR/300RR will be my "upgrade". Given that I lost my R3 recently and picking up a CBR500R today, I will still go for the good bike at the same displacement range(well honda's 471cc to yamaha's 321cc, not really that much of an upgrade, just avoiding 300r for the single instead of twin)

With having a garage in short future, I do have plans for getting a cruiser(for two up), and a naked supersport(like Triumph street triple) just for refined suspension/brake on aside from the low displacement sports bike though

Supersport is out of question imo unless you have plans going to ride it for track only bike. The speed is just baiting you into getting into trouble/ticket on the street. People start to realize that and that's why the sales of those 600cc just went down the drain

·
Registered
199 Posts
Funny enough, this past weekend I pin pointed it down to those two as well. But didn't wanna do anything impulsive...although, I was very close to.

Dealership I was at let me test ride a bunch of bikes..

16' Suzuki GSX-R 600
15' Daytona 675 (w/ Showa dampers)
09' Honda CBR600RR
14' Yamaha R6

I was pretty much browsing for all the 600s lol. They had a ZX6R there too, but don't really like the looks of those, so eh. Don't like the looks of the Gixxer either, but they insisted hard on me trying it.

So after a few rides, it came down to riding the R6, and then the 675 right after. Besides both of them being great bikes, the 675 has power all around throughout. While the R6, around 10K RPMs or so, you best hold on.. that thing just GOES and you feel it pull. Riding position with the 675 seems to be a bit more practical if you wanna do city riding too. R6 is just a tad more aggressive, but not too bad as (from what I read) others say it is. Overall, they're both streetable and more than capable. It'll just come down to how you feel the bike fits you.

I really wanted to like the CBR600RR, as I'm a Honda guy. And mentally, I was set on buying a CBR before even test riding any other bikes, but nope. I absolutely dislike the seat on the CBR.. it just felt like I was sliding off the seat, never felt planted. While all the other bikes were the total opposite.

Dealership ended up trying to sell me on a NEW red/black 15' 675 for $9.9K OTD. I wanted to do it, but wish they had that price for a white/black one instead. I recommend you go test ride and see which you like, you'll probably fall in love with both lol.

As for my upgrade path, I'm definitely going with the R6. I absolutely loved that pulling feel that it gave, and I like the more aggressive position as well.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Dealership ended up trying to sell me on a NEW red/black 15' 675 for $9.9K OTD. I wanted to do it, but wish they had that price for a white/black one instead. I recommend you go test ride and see which you like, you'll probably fall in love with both lol.
I love the look of the 2015 Black/Red 675

·
Registered
304 Posts
In a perfect world, I'll keep my R3 for track days and upgrade to either the Ducati Monster or Daytona Speed Triple for the streets and rural roads of southern Arizona. Those bikes are just classics every rider should ride before they shuffle off this mortal coil.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Which magical dealer in CA allows test rides?! Tracy won't even let me try used bikes that have been down.

When spectrum motorsports in irvine was open, they would allow you to test ride bikes (Ducati and Mv Agusta). Ducati newport beach also allows test rides.

Spectrum let my dad ride a monster 696, 1100S, and the 1098 streetfighter. He went with the monster. Granted this was back in 09'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
When spectrum motorsports in irvine was open, they would allow you to test ride bikes (Ducati and Mv Agusta). Ducati newport beach also allows test rides.

Spectrum let my dad ride a monster 696, 1100S, and the 1098 streetfighter. He went with the monster. Granted this was back in 09'
I've been all about the Monster lately... need to stay away from the dealership!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Aeson, i miss my dads monster, it had termi's and carbon covers. Sounded and looked great. Nearly bought the 1200 stripe earlier this year. Decided on the cbr650f instead. Now that ducati is making a relaxed super sport, that might be in our garage soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts