Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone else here that has gotten peer pressure from other riders to dump there R3 to upgrade to a bigger bike just cuz the person who's telling you this is riding a 600cc + and doesn't like your small bike in there group rides.?:(

·
Registered
186 Posts
As a lone rider myself I would tell him to bug off.

Reactions: R3Modifier

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have ridden for 20+ years.

I just traded in my 650 Bandit for an R3....my buddys couldn't keep up if they tried.

There is nothing more fun then heading to the track on a small bike (my track bike is a Bandit 400) and embarrassing the "big boys" who spend money to go fast rather than learning how to actually ride their bikes.

Get new friends, or learn to ride fast and embarrass them

·
Registered
169 Posts

I just traded in my 650 Bandit for an R3....my buddys couldn't keep up if they tried.

There is nothing more fun then heading to the track on a small bike (my track bike is a Bandit 400) and embarrassing the "big boys" who spend money to go fast rather than learning how to actually ride their bikes.

Love this statement. Its true, I ride with a friend who has a monster 620d and sure he will go faster than me in a straight line if hes really throttling it but when it comes to the windy backroads it all comes down to how well the rider can push his bike.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah find some other riders man.

I ride with several different groups, ones is a group of sports tourers/ adventure bikes all around 1000cc, they struggle to keep up on corners.

I ride with a group of 600 sports bikes, good bunch and I've have to ride hard to stay with them but good fun.

The main group I ride with consists of a Z300 and a CBR500R. They're the best, machines are closer to being matched. Its all about the rider.

Basically find some good guys to ride with. Stick with your R3.

I for sure am still gonna ride mine, even if I end up having 20 bikes. She's not going anywhere.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ride your own ride

I ride a Grom and an R3. You have to have a thick skin and a sense of humor to ride a Grom. Some folks laugh at me but most laugh with me. As for the R3, I have never had any negative comments or pressures to buy a bigger bike. My riding friends ride all sorts of bikes and enjoy the fellowship. No need to bash another persons ride.

Ride your own ride.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I ride a Grom and an R3. You have to have a thick skin and a sense of humor to ride a Grom. Some folks laugh at me but most laugh with me. As for the R3, I have never had any negative comments or pressures to buy a bigger bike. My riding friends ride all sorts of bikes and enjoy the fellowship. No need to bash another persons ride.

Ride your own ride.
In SoCal, there is a dude that goes by "MrGrody". Hes got a few bikes, a Grom being one of them. He makes a few videos and puts them on youtube. Most of the people that havent ridden with him usually ask if they can ride it rather than mock it lol.

·
Registered
330 Posts
x10 on finding a new group to ride with. I'm one of two 300cc bikes in a group of 30+ of riders who goes out once or twice a month and we are both welcome with arms wide open. I actually outride some of the guys on bigger bikes, but most of them have the same skill or more with their bigger bikes and I have a tough time keeping up, but I can still keep them within eyesight.

What matters more than anything is that you enjoy what you ride.

Ride your own ride.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Most people who start out on smaller bikes put the pressure to upgrade to a bigger bike on themselves. If for no other reason than just to experience what it is like to own and ride the big rocket. But once you get the big bike, you appreciate the smaller bikes more. Power is fun, no doubt. But the smaller lighter bike has it's good points too. Power isn't everything. This is why it's really hard to be satisfied with just one bike. Experienced riders end up with four or five bikes in the garage after awhile. Some have even more, if they can afford it. It's all about the ride. Different bikes offer different riding experiences. Sometimes you want the rocket, sometimes you just want to bomb around town on something that is comfortable and practical. Lots of times I will be stuck in traffic with my CBR1000RR, and I wish I was on an R3 or a FZ-07. One of these days.... I will take care of this little problem!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like guys more focused on their image than having fun riding with friends.
thats what i feel like they are all about who has the bigger bike and who can go from point A-B ( 80 miles) in under 20mins. ive tried to ride fast with these groups and the fastest i Ever went on my R3 was 100mph and Honestly i felt scared and was Not having fun at those speeds all i was thinking about going that fast was that alot can go wrong in a split second, so i slowed down took the nearest exit and went home alone.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

actually im planning to do a track day here in chicago and learn more on bike control. im hopeing to make new friends this season who Enjoying rideing like i do.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah find some other riders man.

I ride with several different groups, ones is a group of sports tourers/ adventure bikes all around 1000cc, they struggle to keep up on corners.

I ride with a group of 600 sports bikes, good bunch and I've have to ride hard to stay with them but good fun.

The main group I ride with consists of a Z300 and a CBR500R. They're the best, machines are closer to being matched. Its all about the rider.

Basically find some good guys to ride with. Stick with your R3.

I for sure am still gonna ride mine, even if I end up having 20 bikes. She's not going anywhere.
Thanks for the Great advise , :) ill try to find different group rides

1 - 20 of 87 Posts