Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, this is a farewell to the R3. I still have the bike, it just needs the recall service done and an oil change then I will find it a new home. I knew I was going to upgrade and I've been looking for a while. I wanted to share my experience with you all because I went in a different direction than I ever imagined and I'm so happy about it.

My main considerations for the last six months or so were Triumph Street Triple and Yamaha FZ-07. The Street Triple, on paper, was what seemed the perfect bike for me. Upright, torquey, nimble. I loved watching vids of it and hearing that 675 triple whine. The FZ-07 seemed really fun and looks cool in a futuristic way. So I just kept my eyes open and waited patiently while I enjoyed the lovely R3. My continued search led me to take notice of the Ducati Monster 796. Again, upright, light weight, and less power than the Street Triple. One thing about the Triumph is that the power was intimidating and I don't have a tame wrist (just the truth). Problem was no 796's were in my area, only 696s which I didn't want. So I started to get rather enamored with Ducati's and their wonderful vtwin rumble. I finally had the chance to check out a Street Triple in person, and it just seemed so clinical. It was strange to me because I had built it up so much in my head. I knew it was the bike I wanted. But it did not speak to my heart.

Then one day, just by chance, I noticed a Ducati Scrambler for sale down the road from me. I was skeptical and found plenty of reasons not to want it. But I went to check it out. It was a private seller so I was really surprised when he asked if I wanted a ride and tossed me the keys. That was pretty much all it took. Upright, light weight, nimble, and cool as ****! I was surprised at myself going for a bike like this. I would have never imagined that I'd be on this "modern classic" style bike.

So here's a bit of how it compares to the R3. A bit taller, much wider bars that are also higher and further back, foot controls are further forward. The riding position was an adjustment but I love it. I will put on some lower bars. At no point do I have to remind myself to keep the weight off my wrists like I would at low speeds on the R3. The power is exactly what I need. Quick enough to be scary, really nice torque and it just inspires confidence. Being a new rider, I don't know all the technical details that go into cornering feel, but I found myself going down familiar roads more quickly with no extra effort.

The R3 has been a great bike and will always be special since it was my first. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Ducati Scrambler if you can see yourself riding one. Additionally, if you find yourself drawn to a bike that doesn't really fit what you have in mind, give it a try cause it might end up being perfect!

Cheers.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just be careful of the Scrambler's tendency for false neutrals. If you've never had a false neutral, its when you shift it into gear but the engine is in a neutral state, so when you apply the throttle, nothing happens.

Anyway, grats, and ride safe.

·
Registered
41 Posts
First, this is a farewell to the R3. I still have the bike, it just needs the recall service done and an oil change then I will find it a new home. I knew I was going to upgrade and I've been looking for a while. I wanted to share my experience with you all because I went in a different direction than I ever imagined and I'm so happy about it.

My main considerations for the last six months or so were Triumph Street Triple and Yamaha FZ-07. The Street Triple, on paper, was what seemed the perfect bike for me. Upright, torquey, nimble. I loved watching vids of it and hearing that 675 triple whine. The FZ-07 seemed really fun and looks cool in a futuristic way. So I just kept my eyes open and waited patiently while I enjoyed the lovely R3. My continued search led me to take notice of the Ducati Monster 796. Again, upright, light weight, and less power than the Street Triple. One thing about the Triumph is that the power was intimidating and I don't have a tame wrist (just the truth). Problem was no 796's were in my area, only 696s which I didn't want. So I started to get rather enamored with Ducati's and their wonderful vtwin rumble. I finally had the chance to check out a Street Triple in person, and it just seemed so clinical. It was strange to me because I had built it up so much in my head. I knew it was the bike I wanted. But it did not speak to my heart.

Then one day, just by chance, I noticed a Ducati Scrambler for sale down the road from me. I was skeptical and found plenty of reasons not to want it. But I went to check it out. It was a private seller so I was really surprised when he asked if I wanted a ride and tossed me the keys. That was pretty much all it took. Upright, light weight, nimble, and cool as ****! I was surprised at myself going for a bike like this. I would have never imagined that I'd be on this "modern classic" style bike.

So here's a bit of how it compares to the R3. A bit taller, much wider bars that are also higher and further back, foot controls are further forward. The riding position was an adjustment but I love it. I will put on some lower bars. At no point do I have to remind myself to keep the weight off my wrists like I would at low speeds on the R3. The power is exactly what I need. Quick enough to be scary, really nice torque and it just inspires confidence. Being a new rider, I don't know all the technical details that go into cornering feel, but I found myself going down familiar roads more quickly with no extra effort.

The R3 has been a great bike and will always be special since it was my first. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Ducati Scrambler if you can see yourself riding one. Additionally, if you find yourself drawn to a bike that doesn't really fit what you have in mind, give it a try cause it might end up being perfect!

Cheers.
I don't believe you. Pics or it didn't happen.....:cool:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Test rode the Scrambler a while back during a Ducati Demo Day, was pretty good. Nice torquey feel, and has a nice rumble to it as well. I love all those bikes, the Scrambler, XSR900 and especially the BMW RnineT

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was tired of my FJ09, so I looked around and ended up adding this to my new R3 in the garage, so I hear you about upright, naked, powerful....

Amazing!!!!! That's my next bike in a couple of years when I'm ready to upgrade. Maybe sooner if Yamaha pulls their collective heads out of their collective butts and brings the XSR700 to the US.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The XSR900 really is a nice looking bike but it's too big for me as far as seat height and tank width. The 700 with ABS would be the perfect bike for me. The RnineT is probably my favorite looking of the modern classic bikes, I'm just not a fan of the engine sticking out on both sides.

With the Scrambler, one issue that's taking some getting used to is the fueling below 4k. It just hates being there and wants to lug and chug. From what I understand that's fairly common among Ducati's.

·
Registered
41 Posts
HTML:
The XSR900 really is a nice looking bike but it's too big for me as far as seat height and tank width. The 700 with ABS would be the perfect bike for me. The RnineT is probably my favorite looking of the modern classic bikes, I'm just not a fan of the engine sticking out on both sides.

With the Scrambler, one issue that's taking some getting used to is the fueling below 4k. It just hates being there and wants to lug and chug. From what I understand that's fairly common among Ducati's.
I don't see the problem. "Officer, she really doesn't like it below 4k!".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts