Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, coming from a FZ09 to this R3 I found a Major power difference! I knew it was not the torque monster the FZ09 was but it seriously lacks low end power. I see that you have to keep it in the upper RPM range to get any speed up. I ordered the R6 throttle tube this morning, is there anything more that I can do to improve power?? I know you need to use the gearbox more on this bike compared to the FZ, just hoping for way to wake this bike up. Thanks , Decon.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Completely different bikes with completely different power deliveries. Outside of changing the rear sprocket (and sacrificing what little highway ability the r3 has) there is almost nothing you can do to increase low end pick up.

Any power mods, full exhaust, intake etc will only make the low end worse in order to increase the top end.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Why did you get rid of the Fz9?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I had R1 before the FZ09, couple years ago I hit a deer on the R1, was laid up for quite awhile and lotts of rehab. I bought the FZ on a whim thinking the upright riding position would be easier after rehab. Just never got comfortable on FZ09. It's more of a Supermoto to me, riding position to high. Kind of feels like your on the bike instead of part of it. I did put over 16000 miles on it with lots of mods. Just got tired of the high riding position I guess best way to put it. Hopefully the R6 throttle tube will help. R3 is ok once it gets up to speed, just looking to see if it could be perked up. I am retired now and could have gotten R6 or another R1, but being retired and finally debt free I went the cheaper route with the R3. I sure after I get used to reving the engine higher than being used to I'll get used to it, going to start mods next week and hopefully be able to ad pics to post by then. Thanks for replys, Decon

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am in a similar situation. I went from a 600 Katana to a FZ-06 then a Boulevard M50 and now havr the R3. Out of all of them I can say I have been enjoying the R3 the most but do wish it were just a bit quicker. I am fine with the top end, I just wish it had a bit more getup. I added a M4 slip-on and it sounds bad ass and sometimes shoots flames but didn't add any real HP. Looking into other modifications I can do to squeeze a bit more out of it. Overall though this is a great bike and I love it. "Beginner bike my ass."

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
Gotta remember that you only have a 321cc P-Twin on the R3, and low end torque isnt going to be amazing. The power should be about linear from 5500-6000 to about 10500-11000. There is a noticeable flat spot at about 4500-5500 on dyno charts for the R3, which you want to avoid if youre aiming to lay down the power.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Gotta remember that you only have a 321cc P-Twin on the R3, and low end torque isnt going to be amazing. The power should be about linear from 5500-6000 to about 10500-11000. There is a noticeable flat spot at about 4500-5500 on dyno charts for the R3, which you want to avoid if youre aiming to lay down the power.
This is easily felt when riding the bike, especially when riding uphill.
For me, the biggest improvement over this flat spot was the install of an R6 throttle tube. Now, just a little increase in throttle and the flat spot quickly disappears.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts