Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I know this has been asked many times in the Internet, but I'm having a hard time deciding on what bike to get next

I've had my r3 for my second summer now, and really want to get a 600.

I'm having a hard time deciding between and r6 and a cbr600rr

I really love Yamaha but the cbr is said to have a much better mid range and I love the looks of the center exhaust.

I love screaming at high rpms but also like just screwing around town and pulling wheelies on the back roads.

I dont think I'm ever out for more than a few hours at a time though I want to take this bike to the tail of the dragon. ( 12 hours there)

Does anyone have any personal insight? Which might be better to goof around on? Cornering is a big thing, I love laying down in the twisties.

My biggest question is will I notice so much of a difference in mid range that I'll want a cbr just for that?

Also on longer rides I find my r3 to get uncomfortable and very cramped up. I'm 5'5" and weigh around 180

Any personal insight will be appreciated. I will go and sit in either if these bikes but its tough because I want around a 2007-8 and I dont know the difference from these to new at the dealer..

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Personal opinion R6 better sound, more savage, more end power, higher revs, no ABS till 2017 model, pretty much a race bike.
CBR600RR: linear power, fuel gauge, more electronics aids, no recalls known, pretty much a street bike with race bike heart.
The bottom line if you can control yourself on the street both are good for you but if you are that kind of guy that cannot behave on the street you better know how to ride the R6 or you are going to be on trouble pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm having a hard time deciding between and r6 and a cbr600rr
Nobody can tell you what to get. Test ride both of them.
Lots of 600's for sale on the internet. Go check out some used ones, and test ride them.
The R6 was unchanged for years, so they will all be the same.
The CBR's are mostly unchanged as well. Some people prefer the 2007-2008 models.
But the newer ones are just as good IMO. ( for a 600 class bike )

Don't buy a new one. Too expensive. SO MANY lightly used ones out there.
You will save thousands by getting a used one. They depreciate by the minute!
Find the best deal.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Prob out of the woods here, but have you considered a gsxr. Great bike, lower to the ground, so amazing for us shorter guys. And very well balanced.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You really just need to test ride them as @CBRpilot mentioned. When I was looking at my first big bike I was certain it would be an R1 but when I rode it I really hated it.
The CBR will be more comfortable for longer trips but I'ld suspect you'll prefer the R6 because it loves being rev'd.
I hated the CBR600 when looking for a track bike and loved the R6 (I got a great deal on a zx6 that I couldn't pass though)

·
Registered
53 Posts
R6 is one of the most uncomfortable bikes i have ever ridden. A 12 hr ride would be un-enjoyable in some respects, but that also comes down to rider

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
R6 is one of the most uncomfortable bikes i have ever ridden. A 12 hr ride would be un-enjoyable in some respects, but that also comes down to rider
I don't know if I would want to ride a super sport for 12 hours lol. Maybe get a bike more for that purpose? I'm sure people have done it, and most have probably regretted it after lol. Super sports aren't really made for long riding sessions. It's going to be terribly punishing on your body. A sport bike might be something worth considering.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you are doing alot of street riding, and still want something sporty, look into the FZ-07, SV650, Street Triple. Naked street bikes have more comfy ergos, but you can still twist the throttle and throw it around.

agreed on the yamaha r6 is one of the most uncomfortable street bikes there is. So tight. you feel every bump. Its a track weapon for a reason. And it runs hot, like all around your legs and stuff.

The GSXR600 or 750 are both great bikes. I know the GSXR gets a bad rap because of all the squids who are seen on youtube doing dumb things. But for street riding, the bikes are awesome. If you get a gixxer, relocate the stator asap. They are known to overheat and burn out.

I have owned a GSXR750, SV650 and an R6.
I love trhe R3 the most. But I am doing almost all track days now.

If I get another street bike.. i want to try the triumph street triple R.

·
Registered
3 Posts
At the moment i would choose one of those two:

- 2017 MT09 / FZ07 - Quickshifter, Anti-hopping, very modern full led
- Triumph Street Triple (what ever variant, R, RS. i like them all)

That's the "new" options. If you go to used, i guess it depends what price you get.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I personally want a Daytona 675. One dealer near me has a 07 that I just am in love with. I feel they're asking to much. They don't budge on price. And I'm tiptoed on it.
I own a fz 09. Although that's not a bike I'd recommend for someone coming off an r3.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm in the same boat in looking for a more versatile replacement to the R3, I've come to the conclusion for me a CBR650F would probably be the best option. Very comfortable for long rides with awesome power and easy to ride in town without much fuss during commuting.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm in the same boat in looking for a more versatile replacement to the R3, I've come to the conclusion for me a CBR650F would probably be the best option. Very comfortable for long rides with awesome power and easy to ride in town without much fuss during commuting.
I was considering the same.. Not sure the differences between 2016 and 2018 though and what happened to 2017? lol

·
Registered
346 Posts
2017 was only released in Europe, their 2017 version is our 2018.

The 2018 got shorter gearing between 2-5, revised inlets for the intake tract, revised muffler to be a little louder, new forks (supposedly better, but reviews say still meh), revised brakes (wasn't necessary), slightly different fairing design, LED headlight, increase of 4hp/1tq due to the exhaust/intake inlets and gained 8lbs.

Personally I think the matte black + candy red frame is the slickest colorway they had for this bike including 2018. Trying to get a couple thousand dollar discount on the 2yr old 2016 from new stock but the dealers only want to budge $800 off MSRP for a 2yr old bike in which I may end up with a 2018 with that price difference.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ah got it.

But no blue and I just go my RF-1200.. I laugh at that because a buddy warned me not to match the helmet to the bike for that exact reason.. LOL

·
Registered
346 Posts
LOL - could always plasti-dip :p I have a red/white/black helmet, goes with blacks, matte blacks, whites, reds so it's pretty versatile :)

Also forgot to mention, 2014 and 2015 CBR650's came in blue -- you can usually get them around 5k used with less than 5k miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A lot of what I'm reading suggests not to get an r6

I went and checked out a new one. For me the thing actually felt really nice, but that's only compared to my r3

I can see it potentially hurting your back after awhile since you can't really sit straight at any time

I met a girl yesterday who was on a really nice 06 r6

She said she wouldn't want anything else. And said that any supersport is going to be uncomfortable after awhile.

Thanks everyone for the Information so far. I'll still have to think for awhile. I'll likely hold off and buy one in the winter for next year

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
fz6, or fz6r
fz6 makes much more power.
Personally I think it's a terrible idea to go to an r6. But that's up to you.
Yup Xj6-N (FZ6R) has a lot of torque, with a top end of around 140mph. Its a good jump from an R3, i own both. You'd be happy with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts