Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a fun fact: you can indeed highside the R3

Production 500 Class, Race 1 Saturday:

Brandon Fossbinder (camera, RC390 #373), Sean Thomas (14 y.o, 100 lbs, RC390 cup bike #520), Brady Randall (Ninja #114) and I managed to get through traffic and were battling for the lead by lap 2. Brandon and Sean in particular were my "metric" last season, as I knew if I could stay in contact with them I had a chance of pulling off a win - they usually get better starts than me, and I have a hard time reeling them in unless they turn some bad laps - and they don't usually.

It was great, because each of us had the lead at some point and were all strong in different parts of the course which made for a really fun race. That is up until Sean got by me in Turn 5, and I knew I could pass him back in 6 by taking an outside line. All was going to plan until the rear stepped out, then regained grip - tossing me to the curb. I kinda figured right away that I had jacked up my shoulder and was not happy that I did it my first race of the weekend.

Sure enough - right shoulder dislocation, but a buddy reduced if for me on the floor of the pit garage. The bike didn't take too much damage, other than the upper triple. I had double-checked all the clamp bolts earlier that morning so cannot explain how the left upper clamp bolt was gone and the right was only finger tight when I retrieved the bike - I think they just pulled through from the impact.

After immediately electing to self-medicate, I decided it probably wasn't a great idea to drive (manual shift too) or even try to load up that evening - There was so much love in the paddock - beer just kept magically appearing for the remainder of Saturday. Stayed until Sunday afternoon (and kept sober too) and managed to get everything home with no further incident. Turns out, dislocation and broken in 4 places, so looks like I'll get to add some hardware to at least one of my appendages.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
if its any consolation I think its totally bad ass to ride the r3 hard enough to be able to highside in dry conditions!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I do appreciate it.

After I saw the video, I was surprised at how fast it happened in real time. "In the moment", I had time to think about 1) the rear is stepping out - a lot, 2) countersteer, 3) I didn't think you could high-side this bike and 4) this will probably leave a mark - all before face-planting the pavement. Then I was more disgusted than anything else because we were all still in it up to that point. Oh well, part of the game so it'll all work itself out somehow I'm sure - I just hope I can get back out before too much of the season is over.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pirelli SC 110 front, DR II 140 rear. Roughly 31/29 off the warmers. Ambient in the 70's. Track may have been a bit green as it had rained all week. I could see where I'd laid down rubber on my line before the HS, so was probably at the limit of the profile when it happened. Rear is "polished" about 1-2" from right edge, so I seem to have exceeded available grip in my overzealous attempt to regain position coming out of the turn. Shoulda stood it up more before pinning it I guess.....

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sorry that I have not been as diligent with the mod duties, but I've been otherwise engaged in other 'issues'. Hoping to be able to make the Fall rounds, as the first four rounds of the USBA series are looking like a washout this season....got a cool 9-Iron, maybe a sand-wedge out of it though!!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts