Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, finally got to wring out the R3 in race trim today. Apex does trackdays the day before USBA race events. This weekend the WERA boys and girls have joined in on the fun, so good numbers at the track. I ended up doing C group: A was sold out, B is almost always the sketchiest group so I decided that - on a basically untested bike, with possible speed differentials of 80 mph+, C would be fine. Over 40 in the group - but on the 3 mile perimeter course, it was easy to get open track. Like a douche, I get myself pulled on the second session for a (what I thought was a clean) inside pass. I got all carried away and forgot no inside passing rules for C group - turns out it was a clean pass, but the control rider said I scared the crap out of my victim. I duly apologized and promised not to do it again - all was then well with the world. Good weather, excellent track conditions.

The bike - pretty much everything hoped for in a lightweight twin. Managed to lose the shift link in the second session, and a clutch cable adjusting nut in the third - expected on a new bike, whose owner went through more than one mock-up and may have forgotten to tighten and Loctite some bits. Took three or four sessions to dial in the shock settings. I ran the stock Michelins first three sessions, then switched to softer rubber (Pirelli). It may have just been new bike jitters, but I couldn't manage to use all the tire with the Michelins - I had grip, but I could feel a bit of loss of grip on the exits - not enough to freak me out, but enough to chop throttle a bit. For the four afternoon sessions, tried the Pirelli's and felt more confident - could just be in my head, but whatever works. The hardest braking zones are 6th to 4th, and 5th to 3rd, so you're only scrubbing 30-40 mph on this course - brakes were more than adequate I thought. Right now running Yosh full and Yam HP filter with no retune - response seemed fine, but something I intend to address in the next few weeks. Suspension has been upgraded with respring/emulator and Ohlins rear. The front is better than stock, but not quite there, although it's far better than my old Ninja 250.

The numbers: not sure of lap times, we'll see tomorrow. On the 1/3 mile front straight, top indicated was 107 (6th) which is about what the KTM cup RC390's ran a few weeks ago. Still, it would be nice to have an extra 10 or 20 hp. Not calling BS yet, but reports of 117-120 seem unlikely with stock gearing. For my bike, you are close to rev limiter at I'd guess 108-110.

No glory shots or video -

·
Registered
717 Posts
Well, not ALL inspiring, but definitely thanx for the update. Coming off a ninja 2-fitty myself, I'm looking forward to the suspension upgrades on the R3. (I think we share the same parts: traxxion front/ ohlins rear). I've also been chastised for passing on the inside in the novice/A group. Keep us posted, Stirz.
How'd ya like that Ohlins shock?
Oh, yeah... Some pix of your bike in race colors? Red and gray?
Good luck this weekend, bro.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So you west coast tards missed out. Grids as big as 35 rows in some races. Some excellent races and very few crashes, so a good event - maybe next year? It did get into the 90's today, so it were hot, otherwise near-perfect weather.

I ran two classes with the big bike and two with the R3 both Sat and Sun. Could have entered more, but I'm not 23. R3 ran in D and E Superbike Expert. Mostly Ninja 250's and 300's, an RC390 cup bike, a Morwaki, an R4 and some assorted 250 to 350 cc. cheater bikes on my grids.

I've decided the R3 is a keeper. I found I could run some turns faster than the big bike - hopefully I can translate that up to help my big bike skilz. Love the way this thing turns. Just a few more hp would have been great a few times, so a retune is probably in order before next outing. The R4 seemed to be the bike I kept battling with - guy was pitted next to me, so it was all good.

Ended up getting a 3rd in ESS, and a couple of wins in DSS (got a 3rd in Heavyweight Twin SB too, so good weekend all in all). The R3 would run down a Morwaki, R4. Ninja 250 or 300 and stay even with the RC390 on the 1/3 mi. front straight (keeping in mind I'm giving up 50 or more pounds and 30 years on much of the competition). I could not gain ground on the cheater bikes on the straights - faster bike and better riders. They were running 2:25's to everyone else's 2:30 to 2:40.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Retune... you getting a power commander with autotune so you can tune yourself when you change or add things. Or putting it up on a dyno and having someone do it?

I just installed my PC and just ordered the autotuner a few hours ago.

No in action photos or videos :(

No matching paint scheme on your bikes?!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Good job, Stirz. Thanx for the update. Congrats on your podiums!

·
Registered
433 Posts
awesome! good to hear she performs well on the track and that your having fun..cant wait to get my race body work on her and start racing as well!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Wow, I am surprised you were able to run down the Moriwaki. There was one at RA a couple of weeks ago in on of my races. I was running my SV650. There was a 80 lbs 12 year old on it. Down the front straight, I could have passed him, but it did take a bit of time. I am 200lbs without gear. I let off and let him take turn one instead of being a douche and passing him into turn one. That little kid was FAST. He even passed the completely built SVs that are running 90 hp and 300 lbs wet! That little kid and bike were fast!

I had never heard of the R4 before. Just from an internet search, it is a 250cc?

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ran down the Mori at the start - Gridded 4 rows back and got a better start on the long front straight and managed to stay ahead about a half lap - once he got it wound up, he kinda blew by me and I didn't see him again......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Track Days and Racing at Miller Motorsports Park Labor Day Weekend

Friday, September 4 - Track day on West course configuration:

Saturday 9/5, Sunday 9/6 - Joint USBA and AHMRA racing on the West course.
Reciprocity applies for card holder in other race orgs. AHMRA and USBA both offer new racer schools that weekend: http://www.ahrma.org/ahrma_pdfs/Z-2015/Forms/15_RR_school.pdf Between the two orgs, there are a bunch of classes the R3 can run in.

Monday, September 7 - Track day on 4.5 mi. Full course configuration (this course is only run once a year - 30 minute sessions)

Track Map: http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/track-maps.html
Track Day Vendor: http://www.apex.moose.cc/shop/
USBA: http://utahsba.com/racing/
AHMRA: http://www.ahrma.org/calendar-results/road-race/

The standard invitation for R3 guys who make the trip applies. Garage space and beer will be provided -

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
A good weekend all in all. Really windy for Friday's track day, but then it calmed down for Saturday and Sunday's racing. Sunday was near-perfect with highs in the upper 70's. First time out with the re-tune and my lap times came down with each race - now if I could just get better starts.....(gridding on the back row probably didn't help either) I am really diggin' the R3 - the most fun I think I've had racing in a while. The Pirelli's were great. My biggest issue is those dang kids on built Ninja 250's - Sean Thomas (Firestone, CO) is 13 years old and weighs 95 lbs - he's a great kid, but I hate him. I'm giving up 42 years and a hundred pounds on the little turd. I just couldn't match his drive out of the turns and had to watch him slowly walk away (photo below).

Moto3 was my best finish - but again, not such a good start, and I ended up a good 300 yds back of the leader by the end of first lap. It took me three laps to get through traffic and back up to him (Braden Randall, on a Ninja 250). His line was almost identical to mine and I just couldn't get around him - had I known he was the leader, then maybe I'd have had more testicular fortitude and wouldn't have had to settle for first place loser. Managed a 3rd in Production 500.

Jason Madama ("Hammer") came out from (Edgewater) Colorado and this guy is crazy fast on the R3 - his lap times were competitive with built SV650's and some of the R6's - keep an eye out for him - he's setting track records for the class, and he's good people. Props out to Spears Racing - nice build (second photo).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
USBA Final Round, MMP Sept 26/27

The final 2015 Round of the USBA Masters of the Mountains (MoM) is coming up, and again I wanted to extend an invitation to come out and play. Track day the Friday before. Both TD and racing on the East Course.

Links:
http://utahsba.com/racing/
http://www.apex.moose.cc/shop/
http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/track-maps.html

Jason Madama said he'll be coming out from Colorado and is planning to bring a bunch of other MRA guys. He'll be the guy to beat on the R3.

If you can make it, that would be awesome - let me know and I can line up garage space for you.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Good weekend, excellent weather but numbers were a bit down - apparently a bunch of local guys weren't in the points championships, so bagged the last race of the season (No wonder they're losers). We did get a good number of racers from Colorado, Idaho, Washington and Oregon, so grids were good.

Saturday was one of those 'best days ever' days. Needed a 3rd or better to finish 3rd for the season in Open Twins (big bike), but to do that I had to beat a guy I have never beat. I owned him - it was awesome. On the R3, I ran PR's in each race - didn't get a podium, but beat some guys I (also) had not beaten this season - and gave up 50 lbs to them to boot.

Sunday not so much - managed to kill the big bike at the start and couldn't find neutral, so not such a great finish. DQ'd myself from Moto3 when I figured out I wasn't legal in the class - I could have raced, but it would have messed up points champ for some guys that had been racing that class all season, then they would have had to protest - so decided to just bow out. Got caught in a bunch of traffic early in Prod 500, so never really got up to pace, but had fun passing some guys. So right now the guy to beat in the Intermountain area is Jason Madama - David Absolon also quick on the R3.

Results (finish, best lap):

Production 500 (Saturday)

Jason Madama 01:49.719 Yamaha R3
David Absolon 01:50.535 Yamaha R3
Sean Thomas 01:52.643 Kawasaki EX300 (he's 13 and weighs 95 lb)
Brian Jackson 01:52.102 Kawasaki EX300
Jeff Masters 01:52.825 Yamaha R3
Brandon Fosbinder KTM RC390
Duncan Biles 01:55.952 KTM RC390
Braden Randall 01:55.735 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Anthony Morgan 01:55.374 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Tyson Rapier 01:56.441 Kawasaki EX250
Donovan Busby 01:57.984 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Chad Richins 02:27.324 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Sunday Production 500:

Jason Madama 01:48.642 Yamaha R3
Sean Thomas 01:52.043 Kawasaki EX300
Brian Jackson 01:52.169 Kawasaki EX300
Brandon Fosbinder 01:53.277 KTM RC390
Jeff Masters 01:54.033 Yamaha R3
Duncan Biles 01:55.257 KTM RC 390
Tyson Rapier 01:55.577 Kawasaki EX250
Braden Randall 1:56.268 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Anthony Morgan 01:56.596 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Donovan Busby 01:57.407 Kawasaki Ninja 250
David Absolon 01:50.413 Yamaha R3

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
and,...
Beers!!!!!!!!!!!
That was both the problem and the solution. I made the mistake of sleeping at the track in my (5x8) trailer, figuring I'd have a couple or two at end of the day - and I did.

First night guys pull up at 11 and set up the only two genny's in the paddock 3 feet from my trailer. Ran 'em all night. Finally just picked up the trailer and moved it to another spot. Second night same guys were working on bikes till 2 and were jamming to trance of all things - better than the genny - beer helps you sleep.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts