Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you younger MotoGP fans might not know that MotoGP used to be 2-stroke beasts. It was WSBK that had 4 strokes. I think for emissions, and newer tech which got 4 strokes closes to the power:weight ratio among other things caused MotoGP to change to from 2-strokes. I think 2-strokes are still legal in Japan. Several years back, you'd see tons of 125, 250, and 500cc 2-strokes zipping around on the street. Anyway, there are a lot of exciting custom bike boutiques, and custom race bike shops. The Suter MMX 500 is certainly a beast reminiscent of the old 500cc 2-stroke MotoGP monsters. They are making a limitied run of 99 bikes. Not street legal obviously, and therefore obviously intended for racing only. I wish was a millionaire with a private track, and had the means to get one or two. They'll be pricey. But man, it is a beautiful bike. It still has the lines of a contemporary bike but with futristic lines and aesthetics without totally being strangely bonkers like many concept bikes are.

Here is a link to the Suter MMX500 bike site-> http://suter500.com/buyers-choice/Below is one of their pics.

·
Registered
87 Posts
aahhh remember them well, RD500, RG500, RD 250/400, (LC's) X7's etc etc, still legal over here!, I do a lot of 50cc motorhispanias and Derbi Senda's etc as a paying hobby, great smell great sounds. remember schwantz, rainey, gardner doohan & mamola awesome!

marshy (UK)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aahhh remember them well, RD500, RG500, RD 250/400, (LC's) X7's etc etc, still legal over here!, I do a lot of 50cc motorhispanias and Derbi Senda's etc as a paying hobby, great smell great sounds. remember schwantz, rainey, gardner doohan & mamola awesome!

marshy (UK)
Yeah my brother had an RD400. Think it was an 82? 84? Yeah I was a tween and teenager when Miguel Duhamel and Max Biaggi were the Nicky Hayden and Valentino Rossi of their time, if you will. Those bikes had crazy power to weight ratio that I think even today's highly texhnoligically advanced 4-strokes still can't match. I think Doohan rode a Honda NSR500 which was the premier 2-stroke 500 of the time. If you've even watched the Faster series narrated by Ewan McGregor, it covers the 2-Stroke era. Think it was made in 2004-2005. Forgot the transition when motoGP switched to 4 from 2. But yeah, I'd love to have this bike! Probably at least $100K US.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts