Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm looking to buy a 2015 R3 with 4600 miles. Mods include fender eliminator, smoked led taillight, color matched shorty levers, flush mount turn signals, m4 street slayer slip on, and a tinted windscreen. How much would y'all say this bike is worth? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have sold two R3's both 2015's

Blue one with 3k miles for $4000
Black one with 100 miles for $4400

That was in SoCal the softest market. They all come into the Long Beach port so they get more expensive as you spread them out from there for freight.

$3800-$4000 is the most you want to spend on a used one if it has all the records and parts.

Depends on where its located, and if its from a dealer or private party. Need more information. Like some pictures. Has it been down? What kind of maintenance records, receipts etc.

Mods mean nothing on the price, you can ignore them. I would want all the stock parts that have been removed. Going to lose resale value on the next guy that wants the stock parts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
$3500 to $4000 if not dropped. I would want the recalls to have been performed - it demonstrates care of ownership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike is from a private seller. Never been dropped. Location is central Texas. Not sure about the recalls, I will have to look into that.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Depends on where its located, and if its from a dealer or private party. Need more information. Like some pictures. Has it been down? What kind of maintenance records, receipts etc.

Mods mean nothing on the price, you can ignore them. I would want all the stock parts that have been removed. Going to lose resale value on the next guy that wants the stock parts.
Agreed, I have stock fender,tail light, turn signals, levers, exhaust (w smog equip fro under gas tank) all in cardboard box for the day I sell (hopefully never).

Also make sure to keep all receipts for service/recall

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got mine new for 5100$$. Mods add little value. I almost got a very nice r3 with a few mods with 532 miles at a dealer for 4500$. It was in brand new condition. I wouldn't pay more then 4 k$ for that one you are looking at. I'm really enjoying mine.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I paid $5k OTD for a brand new 2015 R3 from a dealer in Southern California.
I put $500 worth of mods on it since I have had it. ( Graves slip-on, Yoshimura FE kit, Yamaha OE rear seat cowl )
It has a little over 2,000 miles on it. I saved all my original take-off parts, and I have dealership paperwork for the recall.
If I was going to sell it tomorrow, I would ask $4,000 for it. Price would be firm. I would not take $3,800 for it.
It's never been dropped, no scratches on it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
$3500-$4000, give or take.

There's a couple R3s in the area in that price range so they really can't ask more than that without you just looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
As mentioned, mods mean nothing and it's just something you will have to accept when you sell. Some people will want stock parts, especially when an inspection could fail if stock parts are altered (exhausts come to mind). Me personally, I take off the mods and sell them separate and put back all the old parts. For the bike you mentioned, I would aim for $3500. I paid $4000 for mine with 94 miles on it. The lady realized after 94 miles that riding wasn't for her.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I picked up my R3 a couple months back for $3900CAD. It had 4500kms (2800 miles) on it with some slight mods. Anything between 3800-4000 would seem fair. Ask him if he has tuned his bike for the M4 street slayer because the catalytic converter is deleted with the slip on. If he hasn't I wouldn't bother with the bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got my 2015 Raven w/ 1500 miles for $3800. I live in the Bay Area. Clean bike. Thoroughly checked. The bike was from a gentleman who lived in the central coast. No one in their right mind would drive down there to pick up a bike, but I did.

A bike of this condition would typically run 5k (if not more).

·
Registered
346 Posts
Bikes in Cali are always more expensive than bikes in the rest of the country, take that with a grain of salt... I got my bike for $3000 with 67 miles never been dropped in perfect condition. It totally depends on your area, they aren't that popular here (R3's that is) so it was pretty cheap and it was the off-season plus the dealer had it collecting dust for a while and wanted to get rid of it. I'm able to get a brand new R3 right now for $3999 before fees from Virginia. Take a look at what's in your area that's your best bet (look at new year old models at dealers for reference), but I'd say $3500-$4000 is probably a decent price on a good bike with really low miles depending on the area.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ask him if he has tuned his bike for the M4 street slayer because the catalytic converter is deleted with the slip on. If he hasn't I wouldn't bother with the bike.
Why is that?

I installed an M4 street slayer and see no need at all to get it re-tuned.

I've not even put on the block off plate I bought because there is very little back firing that I thought would occur.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Because when you remove the catalytic converter your AFR changes due to different flow characteristics, this is terrible for the motor, it needs to be tuned and compensated for.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Because when you remove the catalytic converter your AFR changes due to different flow characteristics, this is terrible for the motor, it needs to be tuned and compensated for.
And while you are correct, it's not like there isn't a system on the vehicle that is making adjustments for the changes that were made. Same **** as cars. If you throw on a bigger turbo or a new cam, you need a tune. NEED. But an exhaust is different. While a tune will fix some AFR issues and net power gains, our bikes have systems in place to adjust for a certain amount of changes.

Case in point? I know someone with 70k miles on a bike that is beat to piss that has had a full exhaust since showroom floor and has never been tuned. He changes his plugs as per maintenance schedule and they are never fouled. Compression is perfect. And bike still makes the same power it did new. Every computer will account for those changes differently but let's not pretend it cannot make adjustments.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I didn't say it couldn't make adjustments, but me and you both know that's not a wideband O2, which means those adjustments are minor +/- 5%. This isn't a car ECU that is highly advanced you're talking much more basic tech and analog adjustments without a wideband.

Miraculously the R3's run fantastic with those mods after tuning because now it has the correct amount of fuel and the correct AFR, same thing with a car except the R3 doesn't have a wideband or a MAF sensor (R3 uses a MAP sensor IIRC, probably less accurate) with +/- 20% fuel adjustment range.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm not disagreeing at all. I am merely countering the point that you should write a motorcycle off as a total loss just because it wasn't tuned for a full exhaust.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Going lean isn't really helpful to your pistons or valves, I'd probably pass on it too TBH - to each their own :). I typically like to start off with showroom stock so I know the status and not some other mods someone else botched :/ (not talking exhaust here but typically electrical lol)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts