Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Id like know how to make a valve clearance with all details...maybe im not the only one that need it. Im not really willing to pay a great amount of money for that job, i really prefer learn it by my own and with you help guys. Thanks very much!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Valve clearances are shown on the left side swingarm sticker. Also shows spark plug gap, and air pressures.
Nice. I never noticed that sticker before. Very small print on that sticker.
( So basically... I was right. )
;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here in Brazil Yamaha does not sell service manuals. When I visit USA, for sure, I'll bring one to me. :)

Valve regulation is indicated in the owners manual each 40.000km. My engine has now 5000km and it is so silent... I think it won't need valve adjustment so soon.

Good luck my Chileno friend!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Take a look at Youtube, for sure u will have a good idea how to do this service.
You will have to disassembly almost all the fairings to do this.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
It's fairly easy to check the clearance, but more work if you end up having to adjust it.

To check, you just remove the valve cover, rotate the cam lobes to the "heel" side, and stick a feeler-gauge in between.
If they are all within spec, you put it back together and ride.
If they need adjusting, you have to pull the cams. There are shims under the buckets.
You swap the shims for different thickness to achieve proper clearance.
You have to pay attention to "cam timing" when you re-assemble everything.
To measure the shims, you need a micrometer.
If you have too much clearance, you need a thicker shim. If you need more clearance, you need a thinner shim.

If you do not have lots of tools and mechanical experience, it's best to let a mechanic do this.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
In third world countries, they sometimes grind the shims ... o_O
I wouldn't trust that.
If you accidentally grind an angle into the surface, you don't get an even load.

Best to replace them. They don't cost that much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey guys, my user manual indicates i must make valve clearance each 21.000km...what with this manual ? ive researched and download even manuals from another countries and there's really different data alongside of the chilean's....i smell a damned rat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts