Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, recently I just had my first oil change and the weird thing is the vibration on the handle bar became more apparent my hands gets numb much faster than before. Did changing to 20w-50 oil contributed to this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
20/50 oil is too thick. Try 20/40 or lighter. Your owners manual should shed some light. Still, I don't understand why the oil viscosity would cause vibration.

CJ

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Overfilled nope I dont think so.

Thats what the mechanic told me to get, so thats what I bought. Will probably change the oil again. Btw what is the stock oil that came with the bike is it 10w-40? Using 20w-50 can really tell the bike seems slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
406 Posts
20-50 is ok in Harleys, not in a wizzy wizzy jap bike.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Don't use that mechanic again.

Drain that oil out and pour in some 10-40. OE is actually conventional oil, so get whatever you want (semi-syn, synthetic, whatever makes your heart happy)

Whether that is causing your issue or not, it needs to be changed out.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I really don't think it has anything to do with the viscosity. 20-50 is fine, especially in a warm environment. If it's cold then it could be a problem. Was there anything else done to the bike while you dropped it off?

For reference, page 9-1 in the manual

·
Registered
111 Posts
Vibration on the clip ons might not have anything to do with the oil. The clip ons would vibrate like crazy above 70mph. I found that the inner bar weight isn't a tight fit inside the clip on. I removed the stock bar end and the long weight inside the bar. I replaced that with these $17/pair bar end lever guards and now the vibration is gone. Even at 90mph there wasn't any vibration. 20W50 isn't bad. But in case you're wondering, I'm running Castrol Actevo part synthetic 10w40. 1700miles so far.

Link to the bar end lever guards: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301913018455?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

·
Registered
330 Posts
I really don't think it has anything to do with the viscosity. 20-50 is fine, especially in a warm environment. If it's cold then it could be a problem. Was there anything else done to the bike while you dropped it off?

For reference, page 9-1 in the manual

There's been mornings here in Texas in the last month, in summer, where it was below the minimum temperature recommended for that thick of an oil. I would only recommend going that thick if you have a good reason for doing so. Otherwise, blindly listening to a mechanic telling him to run 20W-50 just because it's a motorcycle probably isn't sound advice.

Edit: But agreed I doubt this issue is oil related, although I suppose it could be. Regardless, unless he lives in the Sahara where it's 100+ nonstop I'd stick to 10W-40.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts