Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a lot on clip on varieties for my R3 and i really prefer the Vortex 41mm 7 degree drop.

Almost all the articles are with the Version 1. 2015-2018 which you can have the clip ons above and below the triple clamp which in this case,
Vortex clip ons are better off ABOVE the triple clamp.

Here's the thing, is this clip on compatible with the 2019 model? My clip ons are stock below the triple clamp. I'm not sure about clearance issues with this clip on.

Any insight would be helpful!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've been reading a lot on clip on varieties for my R3 and i really prefer the Vortex 41mm 7 degree drop.

Almost all the articles are with the Version 1. 2015-2018 which you can have the clip ons above and below the triple clamp which in this case,
Vortex clip ons are better off ABOVE the triple clamp.

Here's the thing, is this clip on compatible with the 2019 model? My clip ons are stock below the triple clamp. I'm not sure about clearance issues with this clip on.

Any insight would be helpful!
I have a 2019 as well. While I can't answer your specific clearance question, I assure the 41mm Vortex clip-ons will NOT work on the 2019. With the USD forks, you will need a larger diameter than 41mm. I'm nearly certain that they would need to be mounted BELOW the triple clamp. If you went above the triple clamp, you would have to drop the whole front end over 20mm. That would throw off the steering geometry significantly! I don't think you want that..... Have you considered Woodcraft? They make a variety of different rises/drops to suit almost any riders needs/wants. They make really nice stuff. Their website has a generic video on how to measure/order the right clip-on for want you want to achieve. Hope that helps you out-

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2019 as well. While I can't answer your specific clearance question, I assure the 41mm Vortex clip-ons will NOT work on the 2019. With the USD forks, you will need a larger diameter than 41mm. I'm nearly certain that they would need to be mounted BELOW the triple clamp. If you went above the triple clamp, you would have to drop the whole front end over 20mm. That would throw off the steering geometry significantly! I don't think you want that..... Have you considered Woodcraft? They make a variety of different rises/drops to suit almost any riders needs/wants. They make really nice stuff. Their website has a generic video on how to measure/order the right clip-on for want you want to achieve. Hope that helps you out-
Well that is a bummer. I understand that woodcraft has 1.5-3inch risers.
The only reason why i like vortex is simply because:
  • It has a drop angle without having a need of a riser
  • The distance from end to end clipon is much narrower than the others.

If vortex is a really No-Go then i wouldnt have a choice, i'll look into woodcraft. I understand that the risers do give a drop angle in return for a higher point of the handle.

My goal is to have a sportier ergonomics which is to change:
-adding 2inch to the seat
  • Installing aftermarket racing footrests
  • Changing clipons and possibly lower my fork (last resort)

Would love to have my clipons lower

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well that is a bummer. I understand that woodcraft has 1.5-3inch risers.
The only reason why i like vortex is simply because:
  • It has a drop angle without having a need of a riser
  • The distance from end to end clipon is much narrower than the others.
If vortex is a really No-Go then i wouldnt have a choice, i'll look into woodcraft. I understand that the risers do give a drop angle in return for a higher point of the handle.

My goal is to have a sportier ergonomics which is to change:
-adding 2inch to the seat
  • Installing aftermarket racing footrests
  • Changing clipons and possibly lower my fork (last resort)
Would love to have my clipons lower
Check out Norton Motorsports (there a supporting vendor). They actually recommend the Woodcraft for the 2019. If you go too low, you will most likely run into clearance issues-

·
Registered
195 Posts
Given that you have the 2nd-generation model ... just unbolt the stock handlebars from the bottom of the upper triple clamp and slide them down to where you want them and re-clamp them, then see where that ends up. Even if you opt for aftermarket handlebars, doing this will let you see whether you need the riser-style or not. I'm thinking that you probably don't.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Given that you have the 2nd-generation model ... just unbolt the stock handlebars from the bottom of the upper triple clamp and slide them down to where you want them and re-clamp them, then see where that ends up. Even if you opt for aftermarket handlebars, doing this will let you see whether you need the riser-style or not. I'm thinking that you probably don't.
Yeah, that was my initial plan as you replied on my other thread:

However, my mech told me that he wouldnt recommend such things as i'd have to remove the screw from the triple clamp that keeps it align and lowering it would mean having less support.

One question, with aftermarket clip-ons like woodcraft & vortex, is it possible/safe to rotate the clip-on's angle to make it closer to your body?

·
Registered
195 Posts
However, my mech told me that he wouldnt recommend such things as i'd have to remove the screw from the triple clamp that keeps it align and lowering it would mean having less support.

One question, with aftermarket clip-ons like woodcraft & vortex, is it possible/safe to rotate the clip-on's angle to make it closer to your body?
Then your "mechanic" has never worked on a race bike, and doesn't know what he is talking about. The ONE purpose of that screw from the triple clamp to the clip-on is to maintain the factory-designed consistent orientation of the handlebars at the assembly plant. It is not needed afterward. (And, none of the aftermarket clip-on handlebars that you are talking about, have provision for that screw.)

Once that screw is gone, indeed you can rotate them around the fork to position them fore or aft (and at correspondingly different angles) to whatever position you like ... and it's up to you to make sure that they don't collide with anything with steering movement. Race bikes frequently have narrower steering angles (via modified steering stops) to avoid such collisions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then your "mechanic" has never worked on a race bike, and doesn't know what he is talking about. The ONE purpose of that screw from the triple clamp to the clip-on is to maintain the factory-designed consistent orientation of the handlebars at the assembly plant. It is not needed afterward. (And, none of the aftermarket clip-on handlebars that you are talking about, have provision for that screw.)

Once that screw is gone, indeed you can rotate them around the fork to position them fore or aft (and at correspondingly different angles) to whatever position you like ... and it's up to you to make sure that they don't collide with anything with steering movement. Race bikes frequently have narrower steering angles (via modified steering stops) to avoid such collisions.
Appreciate the insight. I'm in ASEAN country where racing isnt a big thing here. I'm just doing it for the sporty ergo. Went to a couple shops where they'd tell me they werent sure of lowering it by removing the screw.. :cautious:
(Majority of bikes here are below 200cc)

I'll try them out once again this weekend. Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts