Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ROUND 5- Morgan Park (QLD)

It's been a flat out couple of days. I was up nice and early Friday morning, looking forward to riding this track, I knew the track layout from the track walk I did the night before and had a rough plan of my lines.

First session was terrible (as expected) as I tried to learn the very basics involved. I loved turn 1 but wasn't going fast enough, hated turn 2 as it tightened off the exit of turn 1, didn't like turn 3 as there was a concrete wall on the inside stopping you from looking through the corner. Turn 4 was extremely bumpy in the braking zone and my bike was out of control, turn 5 bumpy as you approach the exit, turn 6 bumpy under brakes, turn 7 was alright, turn 8 was bumpy on approach and at the apex, turn 9's bumps were horrific as you were full throttle at the top of the revs in 6th (this corner seperates the boys from the men), turn 10-12 were fine.
The next practice session was going well, I knew my times were significantly better. It was going great and I was getting comfortable. I was still having trouble at turn 2. 7 laps in I finally nailed the entry to turn 2, I got on the throttle early and was stoked with the performance..... Until the rear tire lost traction, I was sliding along the ground, I kept hold of the bike (not advisable). When I came to a stop my hand was jammed between the fairing and the handlebar, I couldn't pull it out. I lifted the bike and was able to free my hand and wheel the bike to the tire wall.
My hand was sore and swollen, I didn't want race safe to end my weekend so I kept quiet. I missed the next session repairing the bike (damaged handlebar, foot peg, throttle tube and fibreglass damage). I continued to improve my times throughout the day (so did everyone as expected).

** I had just switched to Dunlop tires to see what they were like, I initially blamed the tires but after some suspension advise from the Race Centre Yamaha support crew I made some adjustments to the suspension (which was the real cause of the crash).

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Saturday I was fairly confident, I hadn't been rattled from the previous crash and my bike was performing better all around the track, especially under brakes (due to suspension changes). I was pretty happy with my first production qualifying as my times dramatically improved, I was 14th but confident my times would improve to put me top 10 in the next qualifying. The next session was the R3 cup qualifying, 3 laps in and I had knocked off half a second and was feeling great, I passed 2 riders on the inside of the entry to turn 3. I didn't feel like I went in to hot but was on the wrong line, I turned the bike to get back onto my ideal line and kept the throttle pinned. Unfortanately my grip level didn't allow for that and I exceeded my rear tire capability. I was now sliding along facing back towards where I had come from, I was still holding the bike as it followed me. I tried throwing the bike away but it ending up resting on top of me in the dirt, I threw the bike off and hopped to the barrier, my calf was really hurting. In the med Centre they weren't impressed to see me again but deemed it soft tissue damage and I was able to continue as I had full strength and range of movement.

I missed production qualifying 2 as I repaired a foot peg and damaged handlebar and some fibreglass (duct tape repair), I was pushed back to 17th.
The bike was ready well before qualifying 2 R3 cup, unfortunately I was sore and fatigued and made no improvement due to multiple mistake on every lap. I qualified 7th (but I wouldn't check this until it was too late).

PRODUCTION RACE 1;
Starting from 17th I got a good start and made up a few places, as the race settled I made a few more passes until I approached a group of 3 other riders. I was faster, I felt great on the bike and was certain I'ld be able to get past easily enough. I had set a new PB whilst being slowed by the other riders. I followed into turn 1 on the 3rd lap but my pace was significantly faster, I went to the outside of the rider infront (he was also getting slowed by the rider infront of him). My front week was equal with his boot, I waited until he tipped in to turn 2 before I could turn, this left me >1m off the apex! Not an issue, I had tipped in extremely late and was able to stand the bike up and throttle out of the corner. As the rider infront pushed wide on the exit (he was at the white line on the edge of the track) it forced me wider and wider until I was on the corrugated rumble strip... A huge tank slapper, as the tanks slapper continued I thought "I've got this", however as the rumble strip ended my front tire dug in to the dirt sending me flying over the handlebars. My race was over!
I had 20 mins to replace the windscreen, fix the foot peg, replace the front brake lever.

R3 CUP RACE 1;
With a little help from a couple of other riders and support crew I was going through scrutineering as the rest of the field lined up for the warm up lap. I was able to join in the warm up lap from the rear of the field, I had made it! I hadn't checked my grid position or topped up the fuel though I made sure I was the last to the grid spots so I would just take my position (whatever was left), it was 10th! Really? ****! (It later turned out someone had taken my position and I took theirs lol). I got a great start, going into turn one there was one rider (an international Yamaha invite rider) on the inside of me, I forced him narrower knowing he'ld need to brake earlier for the corner. It worked perfectly as I took the position. He remained right on my tail the whole race but wasn't able to manage to sneak past as the riders infront dissapeared. I messed up badly and went really deep into turn 4 and he went on past, he was holding a tight line and couldn't get on the power early whereas I could get full power as soon as I straightened. We were side by side into the next corner but I had the inside line, I held him wide really late into the corner and took my position back. He'ld remain on my tail through the rest of the race but wasn't able to make a pass as I defended almost every corner. I finished 5th, I was really happy considering I felt slow (neatly 2s slower than the previous race), I was sore everywhere, and I almost didn't make the start of the race at all.

Hopefully today will be a bit kinder on my wallet and my body

Live timing at www.computime.com.au

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The soreness from the crashes was apparent when I woke up sunday morning, I had a nice size bruise on my right thigh/buttock and another on my left flank. My left calf was still really sore and tender and I was walking with a significant limp.
I decided to skip the production warm up and just go out for the R3 cup warm up. Once I had my leg over the bike the soreness wasn't a huge issue, it was only very mildly limiting my body positioning.
PRODUCTION RACE 2;
On the sighting lap one of the BikeBiz ninja 300's went down at turn 2 (I heard it was malfunctioning warmers). I got a great start and had made up a few places by turn 3, entering turn 4 and there were bikes scattered everywhere, atleast 3bikes involved in an incident (that's another 3 places I moved up). On the next lap there was something grinding on the right hand corners stopping me from getting the bike turned properly, on the next bit of straight I had a look down and saw the rear brake pedal dangling. i lost a few positions as I limped the bike around. On lap 4 there was a bike down at turn 10, the rider was injured and crawling away from the track on his hands and knee, a couple of corners later and the race was restarted. I jammed the brake lever high above the peg and re-tightened the footpeg which had loosened a bit. The race would be restarted as a 4 lap dash, I'ld be restarting from 14th. We settled in to the race and on the second lap there was a rider down at turn 4, he wasn't moving very much and was obviously hurt. The race was declared and I finished 14th (8th 301-400cc)

R3 CUP RACE 2;
I got a great start, I had made up a couple of places through the first 3 corners. I was right with the lead group of riders and was determined to stick with them. As I exited turn 6 the rear tire let go with no warning, it was extremely late in the corner and I slid along the Tarmac and over the huge burm on the exit of the corner. I picked the bike up and jumped back on, the right handlebar was snapped but still attached. I got it restarted but the bar was too damaged to continue. 4th crash for the weekend! I had bit my right hand again and it looked like it was going to bruise and swell.
Damaged the handlebar, throttle tube and footpeg.
The damage was repaired quickly- I was getting efficient
PRODUCTION RACE 3:
I could feel my body starting to suffer from the continued crashes. The last crash was the last straw for the dunlops and I swapped out the rear tire for a new Pirelli SC2. I got a great launch, the front tire lifted to about 30 degrees but I wasn't getting off the power, I clicked it in to 2nd as it started coming down. As I tried to change in to 3rd it was jammed, half a dozen riders zoomed past. I was going to have to pull off the track and retire ... Then all of a sudden it clicked into 3rd and I was off. I had a few extra positions I'ld need to make up now! Lewis Dray (Yamaha invite rider from NZ) who had also stuffed up his start and Keegan Pickering were infront, I had been paying attention throughout the weekend and noted I was significantly faster than Keegan around the whole track, I decided to make a pass on the inside of turn 7 and take them both by surprise but she went in there a lot fast then she had previously. I squeezed the brakes as hard as I could, the rear tire was skipping along and I just avoided Dray. We'ld continue to battle for the remaining 8 laps, I had a few attempts at passing but just couldn't pull it off finishing in 14th (7th 301-400cc).
The Pirelli tire had excess grip where the Dunlop failed, it also absorbed some of the horrible bumps a lot better than the Dunlop which made the bike a lot more rideable- I regret trying the Dunlop alpha 13's but atleast I know for sure now!
R3 cup RACE 3;
I was getting really sore now, I could feel my whole right leg, hip and buttock swelling and restricting my movements, my leathers were now skin tight! 9 laps and I'ld be done (if I could keep it upright). I got an average start off the line, I was right with Dray again but he slowly started making a gap. A few laps in and I noticed I was catching Ty Linch, I got past reasonably easily but I knew he wasn't going to let it go and he'ld try to get the spot back. He came through into turn 1 on the last corner, I tried to take it back on the 4th corner, then again on turn 6. I made it stick on turn 8 but he got me back under brakes for turn 10 as I blocked the wrong line. I got great drive out of 10, I was going to line him up for a pass onto the main straight across the finish line. His drive out of 10 was poor after the pass and I should have taken him on the inside in to 11 but I didn't as I was focused on making a move 50m further, unfortunately his lack of drive affected me as I had planned on slip streaming him and hadn't adjusted my plan, I wasn't able to make the pass as I had planned and finished 8th.

When I removed my leathers I saw the bruising, a massive bruise from my right hip down to the back of me knee and going right around my whole calf and groin with significant swelling

·
Registered
433 Posts
god **** vulgr you are a true track day warrior

p.s nice bum...mines more hairy though :p

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Were you on stock suspension?

Did you had to make a lot of modifications to prepare R3 for track? (not cosmetic)

Nah, aftermarket suspension- a lot of adjustments made throughout the weekend. The bike was already race prepped from previous rounds, the only new addition was new front brake pads

1 - 10 of 10 Posts