Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Round 4 R3 cup joined the VRRC at Phillip island on the weekend.

Tuesday- flew in to NSW to pick up the bike and Van. New hoodie, polo's and skins were awaiting my arrival thanks to James @ www.brandsense.com.au

Wednesday- repaired some of the fiberglass from my less than ideal Morgan Park round (most of the movement is back now and most of the pain gone). I also tried ringing around to have the swingarm spool welded back in place but eventually had to pull off a McGyver-esk repair. I then started my 14hr journey down to the island

Thursday- I continued my long drive arriving on the island mid-afternoon, I joined a couple of other R3 riders at the go-kart track. I also picked up some adjustable tyre warmers anticipating the mixed weather that Phillip island is renowned for.

Friday (PRACTICE)- I was pumped, really looking forward to riding Phillip Island. It was raining but it looked like it was clearing and I decided it wasn't worth while swapping to wets and cross my fingers it would be dry next session. It cleared just in time and I was out on the track. My times were improving and by the end of the day I noticed I was keeping pace with a few riders that have previously been much too fast for me. I was optimistic for the weekend

Saturday (QUALIFYING + RACE 1)- after getting slowed massively through qualifying 1, I was in 5th position 0.06 behind 4th and confident I could drop at minimum 2s.
Qualifying 2 went a lot better, I still didn't get a clean lap in and was slowed several times. I managed to qualify 3rd and was confident I had more pace, 2nd was 0.8s faster but I was confident I'ld be able to keep up.
Race 1, my first front row start. My reaction time was dreadful as I slipped back to 5th off the line. I managed to somehow still make it to turn 1 in 3rd. The pace had gotten HOT at the front, the first 2 riders started getting away but they were taking a lot of risks and riding dangerously (well one of them). I really thought they may take each other out. One of them did highside 2.5 laps later causing a red flag.
Restart meant I'ld start from 2nd, almost a replica of the first part. Before I knew it I had made a pass on the leader, I was leading a national race!!! We swapped places a few times before one of his overtaking maneuvers forced us both wide and opened the door. I started drifting back then battled with another rider for 3rd. I planned to let him lead and pass him with the slip stream across the line. I noticed my pace had picked up, I thought to myself "I can catch these guys" (at the front). I put my head down and focused, I was decreasing the gap but needed another lap finishing 3rd, 0.6s behind.

Sunday (race 2 & 3)- our first race wasn't until after lunch so 15 of us R3 riders hit the kart track (and got a mouth full off the employees for being too aggressive and not following the track rules lol).
Race 1- I had made some setup changes, my start was awful again, I settled into 4th in the group. Coming over Lukey Heights there was a knee slider bouncing at my head. I felt like I was really having trouble with my rear tire sliding everywhere (warmer conditions with a different tire selection meant the tire was holding a lot more heat and causing the pressure to be too high). I was battling for 4th, it was a close battle until we tried out braking each other into Honda Corner, I managed to pull it up on the Tarmac runoff but the other rider had a trip through the grass. It was a lonely ride to 4th from there on.
Race 2- I had done the calculations and unless I did something stupid I'ld finish 3rd for the round. I got a much better start but got boxed in into turn 1, I throttled off to give myself a tiny bit of room. I was now 8th and furious at myself, by turn 2 I could see the front 4 getting away already. I had to make a move, Honda Corner would be the next hotspot for overtaking. The rider infront thought this as well as he lined up the rider infront of him, I twisted the throttle and thought "I can put it up the inside of both", I was 1m off the inside of the track holding it extremely tight. I went in HOT... Jammed on the brakes and managed to pull it up on the apex, this blocked the other riders on a better line getting back past. Unfortunately it majorly affected my exit speed as the front 4 pulled a small gap but I had made up 3 positions in the one move (the best overtake I have ever completed). This whole race I battled the bike, I was fighting it at every corner, I had managed a gap behind but wasn't able to make up the difference to the front group. I really wish I hadn't made the changes I did but was really happy with my result 5th in the final race and 3rd overall for the round

·
Registered
433 Posts
nice job snagging third for this round! Its my dream to ride phillip island one day!

Just curious how you macguyvered your rear spool? Mine is about half sheared off right now but with the upwards force from the rearstand it is pushing the spool up and resting fine against the swing arm for now...very sketchy for me though

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice job snagging third for this round! Its my dream to ride phillip island one day!

Just curious how you macguyvered your rear spool? Mine is about half sheared off right now but with the upwards force from the rearstand it is pushing the spool up and resting fine against the swing arm for now...very sketchy for me though

I used a timber frame joist and riveted it to the swingarm. It is a very temporary fix and will be welded when I get the bike back home

1 - 3 of 3 Posts