Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm waiting for the 2017 R3 to become available,..any idea as to when they will be available?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Should be in a month or two, but will vary from dealer to dealer. Call around to a few yammie dealers and get an eta if you are dead set on a 2017.

You can probably put down a deposit to guarantee you get the first one in also.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Should be in a month or two, but will vary from dealer to dealer. Call around to a few yammie dealers and get an eta if you are dead set on a 2017.

You can probably put down a deposit to guarantee you get the first one in also.
Second that. You should definitely look into to putting a deposit down to get a guarantee. In 2015, they were flying out of the dealership, but of course, they were delayed due to dock strike, it was the newest 300, etc. I guarantee the ABS version will be a lot harder to get than the Non-ABS. I don't know how they allocate per dealership, but from what I've seen anecdotally, they usually get a few in per month, and I still think the R3 is a highly allocated bike.

I'd have a hard time choosing the color. That's another thing-if you've got your heart set on a specific color, that complicates things even more. You might have to wait for the color you want. I dig the new matte black (still love the matte gray), and the new white/gray/yellow R3 is really growing on me. But it's your bike. Does the color matter to you or would you grab any of them?

Unless you've got your heart set on a 2017, why not see if you can get a deal on leftover 2016 stock or a used one? This time of year is slowest for motorcycle dealers and they're usually giving nice rebates.

Also, welcome to the family! It will be great to bring another R3 rider into the fold. Whether you're a neophyte or experienced rider, I am sure you'll love it. I'm a long time rider, and am still smitten. Haven't ben able to ride the past few days due to being slammed with work/chores, but the mild sunny 60 degree days in NY are taunting me. Been dreaming of riding since it's been over a week since I took her out. It's going to be a long winter waiting.

·
Registered
199 Posts
doesn't that annoy ya, just got my 2016 off the lot a few weeks ago....
Meh, not many changes besides ABS I guess.

I got my 2015 R3 in February of 2016 lol. Bugged me a little, but wanted to ride so bad, so just went with it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I searched for leftover 2015 R3's and there are 8 listed within 90 miles. Anyone could probably buy one of those for $2000 off right now. There are also 5 2016's sitting around. It was 25F this morning so even I didn't ride to work. None of those are going anywhere until spring. Those dealers would be very hungry to get rid of one of those.
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/motorcycle/inventory/results/13045/yzf-r3/2015

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Don't wait for a 2017, snag a new left-over model.
Save some money. Be riding NOW. It's the same bike, no changes except ABS which you don't need.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I disagree on ABS. If ABS is something you want then I do not blame you. I feel safer riding on my big heavy BMW than I do on my lightweight Yamaha because of the ABS and traction control.

However, if ABS is not a deal breaker then I also agree on finding a leftover 2015 or 2016, especially if color isn't as important to you.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I disagree on ABS. If ABS is something you want then I do not blame you. I feel safer riding on my big heavy BMW than I do on my lightweight Yamaha because of the ABS and traction control.

However, if ABS is not a deal breaker then I also agree on finding a leftover 2015 or 2016, especially if color isn't as important to you.

I'm on the fence about this. I'm old school though. I've been riding since I was a teenager in the 90's. Never had ABS, but am interested in one day having ABS, and electronic rider aids like traction control and rider modes. Rider aids, I feel, are helpful especially the "background safety systems" like ABS and traction control which are running without driver/rider knowledge. Semi-autonomous aids, which are more prevalent on cars like lane departure, automatic braking, etc are creating a false veil of safety, encourages drivers to zone out, and makes people less capable riders/drivers. ABS can be helpful especially in a panic situation where one tends to overcompensate. Maybe learning on a Non-ABS bike will prove to be helpful, but I don't think having ABS is ever a bad thing. I think semi-autonomous aids that override the human are evil and promote shitty driving; drivers are bad enough out there. When driving or riding, you need to be locked in like a pilot. There is a reason the FTC requires pilots to fly without auto otherwise their skills fade and will be worth a **** in a pinch. If you need help parallel parking, you shouldn't be driving. It is a subject I am passionate about, and the thought of fully autonomous cars makes me a mushroom cloud laying muthafucka, muthafucka.0:);)

There is one other caveat with ABS. If you're interested in upgrading the brake caliper or master cylinder/lever, one might run into compatibility issues. For example, not only did I upgrade my brake lines with Core Moto stainless steel lines and Galfer brake pads, I upgraded the caliper and master cylinder with Brembo parts, and am not sure which parts are ABS compatible. Just something to think about. When upgrading, you need to think ahead and plan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
my 2016 has ABS so no biggie for me. if it had less weight or slightly more power, the annoyance might be warranted...personally, I just ordered a bunch of new parts anyway, so whatever :p

·
Registered
330 Posts
This rider aid vs. no rider aid argument goes long and far. Simply put, ABS is nothing but an emergency aid, meant to help in the most dire situations. If you don't want it, fine. But just like gear, just because you choose not to be as safe as possible when you leave the house does not mean you should advise others to do the same.

I like to put the odds as in my favor as possible each time I leave the house. This is why I'm ATGATT, and also why I'm very pro ABS and TC. I don't want an autonomous bike, just something that helps me if I get myself in trouble. Luckily - knock on wood - this hasn't happened yet.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
IF you ride in the rain alot... then I suppose ABS could be a good thing.
Otherwise.... nah.

·
Registered
330 Posts
On the R3 you'd be have a hard time grabbing enough front brake for ABS to make a difference. But not all new riders know to keep off the rear brake or, if they do, their SR may be to hit rear brake as well. ABS matters for new riders even if they don't ride in the rain.

As per in the rain, I ride every single day, rain or shine. I have tried to make the front tire slide and it is VERY difficult to do. But absolutely, if you plan on riding on anything that perfect days, buck up the $300 and get the ABS. If they offered it when I got the R3 I would have picked it up. But it's not worth it to me to pay the difference just for ABS. Which is how I opened this, if ABS matters to you, wait for a 17. If it doesn't, grab a previous year model for cheap and enjoy the money saved!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts