Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a good warm up and a decent 15 minute ride (city streets, no highway), I park and grab a bite to eat. Finished 20 minutes later and come back to the bike and complete the pre-ride check (no fluid leaks, in neutral, visual checks ok, etc.) and the starter has a tough time turning over. After a couple tries, the engine finally kicks in. This doesn't happen that often but trying to figure out why it does that. For reference, I've had all the recalls done by my Yamaha dealership.

https://youtu.be/kjy3cYMHqIk

·
Registered
346 Posts
Your starter should sound the same, regardless if hot or cold. That's not to say the bike can't have a harder time starting when hot and sitting, mine does this too (but it's not the starter).

The hot temps can mess up the Airflow ratio a bit making it more difficult to start and requires a longer press of the starter button. Cars usually have more sensors/ecu tables etc that correct for this stuff, the bike is more limited in that manner.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Couldn't watch the video on my shitty hotel Internet, but my bike definitely starts better cold. I've had a few times where I needed to try to start it a second or third time if it's fully warmed up.

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Not a weak starter, just not catching. Looks like you are cranking the throttle while starting? Try not using the throttle during starting. There have definitely been reports of harder to start at gas stations (ie, bike hot and only off for a few minutes.)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!
I'll keep that in mind next time after I do a quick stop somewhere. Glad it's not abnormal, just needed some feedback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts