Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Recently took my bike in for new tyres at a service centre. Upon collecting my R3, the mechanic told me I needed new rear pads and discs. I find this hard to believe as I rarely ever use my rear brake, and I have done 29,000kms on the bike. I have attached some photos of my rear disc and pads, so I am just chasing a second opinion on whether or not they actually need to be changed.

Not to mention, he also said my rear axle washer is missing and made me purchase a new one from them (even though the part is on backorder?). This really quite annoyed me as I know for a fact you have to take the wheel off to access that washer, and they were the last people to take my wheel off in the last service. So they lost it themselves.

This is not the first time this mechanic has tried to swindle me either. Last service, they told me my front and rear sprocket and chains desperately needed replacing, although multiple other people told me I had at least 10,000kms to go out of them.

Are these rear pads and discs really in desperate need of replacement? They do not look too bad to me. I think it is time I take my bike for tires elsewhere, and I already do other servicing myself anyway.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi guys,

Recently took my bike in for new tyres at a service centre. Upon collecting my R3, the mechanic told me I needed new rear pads and discs. I find this hard to believe as I rarely ever use my rear brake, and I have done 29,000kms on the bike. I have attached some photos of my rear disc and pads, so I am just chasing a second opinion on whether or not they actually need to be changed.

Not to mention, he also said my rear axle washer is missing and made me purchase a new one from them (even though the part is on backorder?). This really quite annoyed me as I know for a fact you have to take the wheel off to access that washer, and they were the last people to take my wheel off in the last service. So they lost it themselves.

This is not the first time this mechanic has tried to swindle me either. Last service, they told me my front and rear sprocket and chains desperately needed replacing, although multiple other people told me I had at least 10,000kms to go out of them.

Are these rear pads and discs really in desperate need of replacement? They do not look too bad to me. I think it is time I take my bike for tires elsewhere, and I already do other servicing myself anyway.

Thanks in advance View attachment 68381 View attachment 68382
They look alot thicker then my pads and rotors.

·
Registered
460 Posts
That's what I thought haha, plenty of life left by the looks of it. Thanks for the input mate.

I am assuming these pads don't have wear indicators on them, because I can't see any on there
Idk if there are wear indicators, but i heard they make horrible sounds when its time to change. Im running these pads to the very end. Besides, theres always engine braking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Idk if there are wear indicators, but i heard they make horrible sounds when its time to change. Im running these pads to the very end. Besides, theres always engine braking.
That is also true. I just have a track day on the 28th of November with this bike, so if they are as bad as the mechanic said (in need of replacement) I would have to get it fixed before then or I'd fail scrutineering. In saying that, I had a track day 2 weeks ago on the same set of discs and pads and it passed scrutineering just fine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
  • Pad depth looks fine, but that's not to say they don't need to be replaced due to contamination of some sort or uneven wear. Do they work the same as always? 29,000km is a long time on a bike compared to a car.
  • Discs look somewhat grooved but don't look like they need replacing.
  • If they're the only ones to have ever touched your rear wheel then you should definitely call bs on that washer. They should also have plenty of spares lying around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
  • Pad depth looks fine, but that's not to say they don't need to be replaced due to contamination of some sort or uneven wear. Do they work the same as always? 29,000km is a long time on a bike compared to a car.
  • Discs look somewhat grooved but don't look like they need replacing.
  • If they're the only ones to have ever touched your rear wheel then you should definitely call bs on that washer. They should also have plenty of spares lying around.
Thanks heaps for the advice.

• The rear brake has been working perfectly, same as since the day I got it as far as I am aware. The pad on the opposite side of the disc is slightly thinner but only marginally.
  • The rear disc does not feel as perfectly smooth as front does, however there is no considerable pits or height difference where the pads have worn down on the rotor.
  • And they are 100% the only people to have ever taken my rear wheel off. I thought it was utter ridiculousness he blamed me it was missing. They tried charging me $5 for the replacement as well (how tf is a generic washer on backorder in a service centre anyway???). I just picked up a replacement at the local hardware store for 50 cents.

It is that kind of stuff that makes me think he is making up how bad the wear is on my rear brakes to get a few more bucks out of me. I am Australian, and on my P plates. These guys are pretty renowned for taking advantage of learner riders and P platers on servicing because they don't know any better.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
I can't see a problem, but in all honesty, it's hard to get a feel for what's going on with the inner disc brake pad. With 29K s on the bike, I'd probably consider replacing the pads, maybe front and rear if they're still original, for nothing more than peace of mind. But, if I was going to pay someone to complete the job for me. I'd probably look elsewhere for a technician to do the work,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts