Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm all about the whole AGATT thing, and I've seen and heard enough crash stories to understand why it's important. Unfortunately I got my new bike in the middle of a Texas summer where its 100 degrees F out every god **** day, and sometimes I just want to go a mile or so on a local road without arriving at the office a full sweaty mess.

I've always worn all my gear when going on rides, but I'm frustrated that I can't use my motorcycle for quick trips around the block without technically endangering my life. Anyone else feel this way? Just ranting I guess.

·
Registered
68 Posts
yea I do fill this way but then I come to my senses and put the gear on, just part of the deal cause asphalt and skin don't like each other. Rant accepted :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Just ride naked. All the squids do it! :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
One of the advantages of living in England...it doesn't get that hot here, but if it does, you just don't ride that day!

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I live in Houston and know what you're going through. I do what I can to beat the heat-I wear a super lightweight mesh jacket(Joe Rocket Velocity), soak the front of my shirt with water, use a Camelbak so I don't have to pull over to drink water, and ride at night most of the time.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I know what you guys mean. While it isn't quite that hot here, the humidity makes it feel like its hotter than it actually is outside. That makes for a sticky, ugly ride.

I recently asked a friend of mine who has a Harley why he doesn't wear gear besides a helmet, gloves and boots.

He says its a cultural thing mostly. He says its rare to see a Harley / cruiser rider with all the gear on and the same is true for a sport bike rider where its rare to see a guy without all the gear on.

True? Maybe. But I can't see myself ever riding without all the stuff on - better sweaty than running an angle grinder down your body (which is what the road would be), right?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Do YOU squid?
Lol, no I don't, I just being sarcastic :D But I also haven't ridden on the street for almost 4 years. I did have my share of squid days when I was younger and dumber. Then I crashed wearing jeans and a t-shirt (thankfully had gloves on, and of course helmet). Showers were VERY painful after that. Learned a valuable lesson that day and the importance of quality gear.

·
Registered
106 Posts
We covered South Africa, Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe last year on 3 1200GSs and it was 44 degrees the entire time out there. Because most of it is desert in Namibia, you can imagine the dust and heat that goes with that!

I have all weather riding gear with the inner linings taken out for this kind of heat, they have very good ventilation and have loads of kevlar pads in all the right places, that would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have about 20 years of riding here in Metro Phoenix area and here are my thoughts:

1) While ATGATT is wise, if I'm riding on surface streets, riding jeans, gloves and helmet is what I'm wearing. Freeway riding dictates adding a jacket.

2) If its less than 10 miles, I'll ride a bicycle, still hat as balls, but at least my brain is not coking in a helmet.

In the end, it's all about what risks you are willing to accept. I'm lucky to live in the suburbs and mostly commute to school on streets that are 3 lanes in each direction, with raised medians and light traffic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I havent ridden my R3 in Dallas in a solid 1.5 or so months. I just run the Corvette with the A/C on.

Its been nice this past week, but I had to get stitches in my hand and cant put on my gloves.

Good thing once mid September hits it will be nice riding weather again until May/June of next year.

Ill give up riding in the heat of the summer to be able to ride 8 other months of the year comfortably.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I live on the Oregon coast, the weather here is AWESOME for riding half the year, perfect temp for riding. It's a challenge in the winter but I don't care, just put on raingear and I'm good to go. got some nice twistie roads next to the pacific ocean, gorgeous!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Squid it. Just don't crash
I said the same to a young CBR600RR rider the other day. Youngsters these days, when will they ever learn.

He said he only rides fully geared if he wants to look cool, but usually rides squid as it's too hot. which is the complete opposite of what I think, as I would like to go squid to look and feel cool but I value my safety and always ride fully geared with jacket, boots, gloves and helmet.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I started with a leather jacket have yet to wear it as I picked up a textile/mesh jacket for my rides/practice around the neighborhood and to combat the current temperature/heat. As the weather changes and I gain additional experience and I begin to tackle the freeway I'll be for sure switching to the leather jacket. Perhaps might bust it out early while its still a bit warm to gauge how hot having a leather jacket is just so I can start getting used to it later. But ya, sucks there are times where I'd like to just jump on the bike to run a quick errand and it becomes a whole pain to suit up but better safe than sorry as you know that it will always be that one time you don't suit up it comes back to bite you in the ass.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I started with a leather jacket have yet to wear it as I picked up a textile/mesh jacket for my rides/practice around the neighborhood and to combat the current temperature/heat. As the weather changes and I gain additional experience and I begin to tackle the freeway I'll be for sure switching to the leather jacket. Perhaps might bust it out early while its still a bit warm to gauge how hot having a leather jacket is just so I can start getting used to it later. But ya, sucks there are times where I'd like to just jump on the bike to run a quick errand and it becomes a whole pain to suit up but better safe than sorry as you know that it will always be that one time you don't suit up it comes back to bite you in the ass.
Exactly, as in sod's/Murphy's law "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"... only has to happen just that one time when you're least expecting ;)

Gear up and ride safe :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts