Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so I've been hearing a new noise at specific rpms. When I hit around 4500-5200 rpm I hear a loud rattle almost like putting a card in a bicycle wheel. I read it could be the cam tensioner but the bike only has 52xx kms on it. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Hi there, and welcome! First question - have you had the recall done on your bike? You didn't specify the year so I can't be sure that it isn't one of the recalls that's outstanding on it.

If that's not the issue, you might try looking at some obvious things - like checking all the screws on the bike to be sure they are tight, especially underneath where it sounds like it might be an exhaust thing.

Failing the above, take it to your dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for your response. It's a 2015 and I recently got the recall done with the part below the gas tank. I didn't notice any odd noise afterwards. I'll check the bolts and other bits after work. Hopefully it's nothing serious!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update, the noise kind of went away? But at 4500 rpm I'm hearing a loud noise almost like what you would expect from a hole in the exhaust. Calling the dealer tonight

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bit of a delayed update but I ended up doing a tear down of the bike, turns out the guys who did the recall forgot to put a rubber bushing in the tank back in. It was the one that's holds the tank cover down. The fellas covered the cost of the part and the noise is gone now. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
Bit of a delayed update but I ended up doing a tear down of the bike, turns out the guys who did the recall forgot to put a rubber bushing in the tank back in. It was the one that's holds the tank cover down. The fellas covered the cost of the part and the noise is gone now. :D
Oh so that's how mine went mysteriously missing. Though it didn't rattle that I noticed.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had a weird rattle coming from the front which turned out to be the instrument cluster/ panel rattling around the infill panels. I just gave the instruments a quick yank and fixed it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts