Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Last month I went down on my bike and unfortunately broke my finger and dislocated my shoulder when I went to the ground. Now I am in the recovery stages with my cast almost off and am looking at replacing some parts on my bike, but as a first bike owner I really don't know where to look. I figured you guys as owners, would be able to point me in the right direction. I road rashed the left plastic faring, bent in the shift lever, and broke the left signal turn light. Does anyone know where to get these in aftermarket parts? I really don't want to have standard parts on the bike anymore if I don't have too. I have been scourging the interwebz but have been unable to locate such parts since the R3 is relatively new to the community.

Thanks,
Thefaulkanator

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think he's looking for stock/oem replacements. <--- EDIT. Hahah, serves me right for not completely reading his post. Man, I should stop quickly scanning through topics. Oh well, I'll just keep my post in-tact to show my lack of reading skills.

First thing you need to do is locate the part number of what you want to exactly replace. Since we don't know all the exact pieces of fairing you need replaced, you need to look it up.

-Yamaha parts diagram website-

You see where it says "Cowling 1"? That is a drop down menu and the parts are in categories. Also note whenever it is a multi-color part (such as the one I linked you, it will list either Deep Purplish Blue, Black Metallic, or Vivid Cocktail Red. Use the corresponding number part for the color you need).

After you get the PART Number, enter that into google.

For R3, you will probably either use cheapyamahaparts, partzilla, yamahpartsmonster, or gearhead. I have used most of those, I do not recommend gearhead as they are extremely slow. They take 3 weeks. Well, if you don't mind waiting then they are fine, but in this day and age, 3 weeks is no business for me since I was under a time constrain so gearhead failed me. I also have not used yamahapartsmonster. There may be other companies like powersportswarehouse, I haven't used them either.

Each website will have a different price mostly, you want to also add up the shipping costs since these will generally be hefty, around 10 bucks minimum. Depending on each individual piece, you may have to do a fully tally on each website to find which one will save you the most money.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash, but glad you made it out ok and able to get back in the saddle.

Sounds like it's all cosmetic damages to your bike. I would take this opportunity to customize your bike. I would sand down the fairings and plastidip or paint them as fairings alone run upwards $400 for just one side. There is a lot of how to videos on Youtube of people doing that to their fairings after a crash. Def will make your bike unique and stand out.

As for the turn signals, you can purchase flushmount signals for a good price at TST industries.
https://tstindustries.com/Yamaha-YZF-R3-2015/

I think you can bend the gear shifter if you are reeaaaaally careful and don't snap it in half. I think there's also videos on Youtube to show you how to bend it back after a crash. YouTube is your friend lol :p

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow. You guys gave me a lot of good information. I plan on looking across all these sites as I have not come upon them before.
@FangShui thanks for the good wishes man.
@Lollingthunder thank you so much for the very detailed description. I am scouring the websites currently looking for the parts. Also, I appreciate the feedback on the 3 week period. I agree with you 3 weeks is a extremely long time is the day and age.
@Jem24x I have never thought about plastic dipping my bike. I should probably sand down the fairing on the left side as the right side shows no cosmetic damage. I was on the verge of bending the gear shifter back but was also worried I was gonna snap it and find myself in a bad situation. I guess youtube is the way to go.

Thank you everyone that commented with help. You guys are awesome. Hopefully one day I can become as skilled as you guys and help out other people in need.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you Dip one, might as well Dip the other, so it matches. And it protects the original paint underneath from minor scratches and sun damage. Also, if you get tired of the color scheme you can always peel it off and put on another color. :p Just make sure you apply at least 3-5 coats. Each can is around $8-9. Beats paying for a full fairing...just my thoughts

·
Registered
105 Posts
If your after OEM parts, best thing to do is find the guys converting their R3's to race bikes and buy the oem stuff from them. Unfortunately, most that are selling, would rather sell them as whole lot instead of select pieces.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Jem24x How much is a full fairing? The yamaha site doesn't have anything as a "fairing" for a part. I keep finding the whole body piece and its around 300 dollars.
@SLO where would I find these people making there R3's into racing bikes?

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
There are 2 of them in the Marketplace section under the FORUMS tab.

Otherwise, scan the racing-related threads and try PMing the members posting there.

You can also start a PARTS WANTED thread and see how that works.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, the OEM center fairing on the left side is $300-$400. You should follow Fangs advice about getting it from someone turning their R3 into a racebike. Good luck :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Actually, here bro, lemme do all the work for you, sinc you got a broke thumb and all and can't type as fast :p

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/54fdc94e87a86510e821036f/cowling-1

1WD-XF83M-40-P0 (P0 black/P1 blue/ P2 red)- larger side piece $75
1WD-F8395-00-P0 (only black)- smaller side peice (the one that looks like a Z) $55

You can also google those part numbers and shop around for the lowest price

You're welcome :p

·
Registered
810 Posts
What color is your bike? I know there is a Raven (black) being parted out in the marketplace. I will be posting up parts for a red one soon. Still need to start taking it apart though.

If you are going to try to bend the shift lever back, I would heat it up a bit first. This will make it easier to bend and less likely to break. Just take your time when you do it.

If you plastidip, be prepared for the dip not coming off as planned. Especially if you do it on a scuffed up surface. I, and others I know, have had to remove that stuff and found it a PAIN IN THE ASS!

One of my friends put it on his wheels. He said he will never use that stuff again to "paint" anything. Total pain to remove it. Use it on tool handles or stuff you never plan to take it off of.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Jem24x I didn't realize they cost that much. One of the guys is selling a left fairing which I am sorta interested in, but my buddy says we can buff out the cosmetic damage. I attached a picture below.

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
Just letting you know the risks of plastidip. If it were me, I would look at what is for sale in the classifieds. It would be $95 to replace both fairings, plus shipping from Stirz.

Otherwise, being that it is a simple black, you may be able to easily color match it. Sand it down and try a rattle can spray job with some clear coat. Then just get the R3 decals. The matte black area will be very easy to match. You don't have much to lose if you try it yourself. Maybe $30-40 for paint and sanding supplies. It doesn't look like anything is cracked so that is a great thing.

The Yamaha frame sliders look like they did a pretty good job of minimizing the damage. It would have been a lot worse if you hadn't had those on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The right side looks flawless and the bike flew into the dirt with me. So I really only need the left side. I am gonna try to sand it down either friday or sunday. The frame sliders looked cool but I actually felt like they are almost useless as the other puck looking ones stick out farther. But I am glad I had something on there or I would have been screwed.

·
Registered
810 Posts
@Capitalview How do you propose of heating it up? What tool should I use?
A propane torch. If you have access to that and a vice you may be able to straighten it out.

Put lever in vice and heat up area you want to bend. Then take a pipe, or larger vice grip clamped to the peg end, and place it over the lever and GENTLY pull it back into shape. You may need to do it a couple times, i.e. heat up, straighten slightly, heat up, straighten some more.

I need to remember not everybody has access to these tools. I am pretty spoiled with a garage and a plethora of tools at my disposal.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts