Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Thought I'd share my story. I always find someone can take from these if the rider has the opportunity to walk away uninjured.

So today on my ride on very very familiar road I found myself riding behind a Ford sedan. I always provide ample distance between me and car up front. Not traveling close at all. The Ford signals to turn LEFT (he also slows down) so began moving to the far right of the riding lane as to pass. SUDDENLY, Ford slows and cuts out to turn right into a deli/sub shop. Seeing from the time he slowed initially I've already made speed to pass I hit front brake to avoid collision, drop bike (road was at a decline at this point), bike slides to other side of road and i slide a bit beating up the right side of my REV'IT jacket. All captured on GoPro. Did they whole call a police, ecxhange info deal. However, I went away sadden to know I may not even have a case.

All in all i walked rode away uninjured. The beggest take from this is DRESS FOR THE SLIDE NOT FOR THE RIDE. We've reached a high of 90 today in Boston. I was tempted to just to rock a tee as most around here do but I said to myself that is not my MO. When getting into riding I promised myself one thing always wear gear. And I believe that is what saved my right side from road rash (wore normal jeans and sustained a quarter size gash below the knee.

From evidence that I have can insurance/law say I'm at fault despite driver providing wrong signal intention? Kinda sadden but again the fact i'm okay is a blessing.

inputs/comments/questions welcome

·
Registered
25 Posts
Was this a 4 or 2 lane road? Did you or your bike collide with the vehicle? Why didn't you upload he footage?

If it was a two, you should have waited to pass, that would be considered lane splitting, would it not? Where do you live?Not only that, but if neither you or the bike made contact with the car, you more than likely had more than enough room to stop. It sounds like you locked up he front wheel, which is a rider error. Until I can see a video, that's what it sounds like to me. Inexperienced and bad judgment call.

As for gear, if it's too hot to wear it, it's too hot to ride. If you've ever had the opportunity to see how they clean road rash in the ER, go ahead and look it up and watch a video or too. Glad you didn't come out injured.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Unfortunately, if you both were on the same lane, you would definitely be at fault even with his wrong signal.

So the thing you should have learned from this exchange is to be patient and not pass someone on the same lane as you while both vehicles are in motion.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Unfortunately, if you both were on the same lane, you would definitely be at fault even with his wrong signal.

So the thing you should have learned from this exchange is to be patient and not pass someone on the same lane as you while both vehicles are in motion.
Don't know the law in this instance, but if he's got it on video he might have a case. All the gear all the time as the OP alluded to is priority. Another thing to consider is patience, and I have a problem with that. By attempting to go around the car what was he going to save....4 seconds by not stopping? I do similar things all the time and I can see the consequences.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Don't know the law in this instance, but if he's got it on video he might have a case. All the gear all the time as the OP alluded to is priority. Another thing to consider is patience, and I have a problem with that. By attempting to go around the car what was he going to save....4 seconds by not stopping? I do similar things all the time and I can see the consequences.

Hey mikiee, I've been meaning to say this. Your sig confuses me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If it was one lane and you passed him your at fault , If he was on the left lane signaling to turn left and you passed on the right lane and he turned right into you , then driver is at fault. Would make it simple if you uploaded the gopro footage.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Hey mikiee, I've been meaning to say this. Your sig confuses me.
I believes it's a joke... sorta a play on words... er.. numbers.

3 comes after 1 but before 6, so going strictly by the numbers, the R3 should fall between those two bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Thought I'd share my story. I always find someone can take from these if the rider has the opportunity to walk away uninjured.
I'm in MA too... it's freaking hot out there today! I Also promised myself (and my wife), all the gear, all the time.

I normally ride by myself and stick mostly to back roads and just enjoy my 50 mile commute home. A buddy at work today rode in as well and since he lives just one town away from me, we decided to ride home together tonight. We took all major roads and interstates and since he's on a HD XR1200, I had a heck of a time keeping up with him.

I know, I know, ride your own ride. He wasn't riding aggressively but just his little blips of the throttle to get around traffic was a 2-3 gear downshift for me. The little R3 is a blast on its own but I didn't ejoy trying to keep up with such a faster bike.

He was cranking along and I was behind him, and we approached an intersection with a light that turned yellow. He hit the brakes and stopped easily and although I was several car lengths behind him, I couldn't stop as quickly and stopped just past the white stop line. I pushed back to get behind the line and he laughed about it... the R3's brakes are NOT the same as what he has on his bike. For that reason alone, I can't ride like him. That little incident scared me a bit and has me even more convinced that I need to ride within my skills and within my bike's abilities, stick to my own rules on how to ride and if someone I'm with is riding beyond what I feel comfortable, I need to just let them go on. I, just like you said, have learned from this little experience.

I NEVER pass on the right when on my bike. It pisses people off behind me but I don't care. I'm absolutely convinced that I'm invisible when I'm on my bike. I ride just that way.

Glad you're okay!

·
Registered
223 Posts
My Sig is a play on the numbers 1 to 6, obviously has nothing to do with engine size.

B...b...but but but for people who know the motorcycles, it is confusing! :crying:

·
Registered
271 Posts
B...b...but but but for people who know the motorcycles, it is confusing! :crying:
That's the whole point.........keep em guessing.............puts a little extra flavor in their mundane lives. :laugh:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree, being patient is the key lesson here. Considering with how unpredictable and many drivers are out there, I learned that same lesson the hard way.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The beggest take from this is DRESS FOR THE SLIDE NOT FOR THE RIDE. We've reached a high of 90 today in Boston. I was tempted to just to rock a tee as most around here do but I said to myself that is not my MO. When getting into riding I promised myself one thing always wear gear. And I believe that is what saved my right side from road rash (wore normal jeans and sustained a quarter size gash below the knee.
inputs/comments/questions welcome

Glad to hear you're ok... it was an unfortunate situation, for sure.

I'm quoting your mention of the heat and t-shirt temptations...I know 90 is hot, plus the humidity factor...but yeah, you gotta keep it in your mind, it if's too hot to ride with all your gear, it's simply too hot to ride. I'm in San Fernando Valley, CA and we have steady temperatures well over 100 in the summer and while a pain in the 'ars, to clean, I have all white leathers (perforated to let in the air), and it keeps me somewhat comfortable but there are definitely days where I'm bummed I can't go play because it's simply too hot.

glad you didn't squid it, saved yourself from a very awful day :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm glad you weren't hurt!

I'm lucky I never had something like that happen when I was riding in my younger years. These days I assume no one can see me and ride accordingly. I'm happy to hear you had your gear on! Riding here in Ohio we have summer days in the 90's with high humidity and it's tempting to riding without the gear. However, it's just not worth it. Gear will always trump being hot in my book.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just yesterday, I had a guy cut left across the intersection I was going through... no directional.
Luckily, I had a funny feeling about this guy in his POS car and was prepared for his attempted vehicular manslaughter antics.

Drivers never seem to surprise.. keeping more than enough distance is the key! Glad nothing went bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts