Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Resigned to having to buy a set of tires for R3.

Read lots of comments on tires.

I have only one need. The best tires for south Florida's summer torrential rains.

Don't care about cost, longevity, cornering etc. Only wet road performance.

Experience, comments etc. Please. Thanks.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Pilot road 3 front in stock size, road 4 rear in 150/70.

A great do it all set of tires, and consistently considered one of the best in the wet.

Although the rear is a small increase in size, it shouldn't be an issue. Lots of us run 150s, I've run mine for about 5k miles now without any problems.

Not sure what is available in the stock 140 size, options are a lot more limited.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I've ran both the stock tires and S20 EVO's in the rain. In San Diego to be specific. Doesn't rain much there but when it does, the smaller roads can get flooded. The interstates are usually fine. Traffic goes from the usual 75-85 to probably the limit of 65. I don't really slow down during the rain, so for me the tires performs just as well in he rain as it does dry under the same conditions I would be commuting on them. My bikes have always been my daily commuter vehicles, rain or shine. Here in Japan it rains much more and I still have stock tires. The roads are slower but I have no doubt they are just fine in the rain. What really worries me here is the low temps during winter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CXA: Are you saying the Pilot road 4 in 150 is a bias ply that will mate with my road pilot 110 (front) that is a also a bias ply? I have been told it would be bad to run my existing bias ply on the front with a radial on the rear. As you can surmise I have no clue about tires.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Koji; If I am unsuccessful at finding a proper mate for my front bias ply (oem) 110 Michelin Street Pilot I will probably be leaning towards the s20 evos. Unless I discover something more promising here. I just use my bike for running back and forth to the tennis courts. About 40 Mi. round trip. Speed limits no more than 55 on any stretch. Mostly 40/45 city traffic. At 80 yrs I do not have the reflexes of my youth when I could yank a bike out of a slide. In summer there are sudden showers that bring road oil to the surface and cause slippery conditions. Even with 80 yrs. in the bank, I would like to deposit a few more. Haha.

Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Koji; If I am unsuccessful at finding a proper mate for my front bias ply (oem) 110 Michelin Street Pilot I will probably be leaning towards the s20 evos. Unless I discover something more promising here. I just use my bike for running back and forth to the tennis courts. About 40 Mi. round trip. Speed limits no more than 55 on any stretch. Mostly 40/45 city traffic. At 80 yrs I do not have the reflexes of my youth when I could yank a bike out of a slide. In summer there are sudden showers that bring road oil to the surface and cause slippery conditions. Even with 80 yrs. in the bank, I would like to deposit a few more. Haha.

Thanks for the info guys.
I hope you find the right tires. Good on you for still riding at that age. I started late (2013) and am now 36. I hope I am still riding when I hit your age!

·
Registered
542 Posts
CXA: Are you saying the Pilot road 4 in 150 is a bias ply that will mate with my road pilot 110 (front) that is a also a bias ply? I have been told it would be bad to run my existing bias ply on the front with a radial on the rear. As you can surmise I have no clue about tires.
Pilot roads are radials. The pilot streets that come from the factory are bias ply. There is a huge difference in these tires, despite the similarity in the name. If you switch the whole set its fine.

Don't change just one tire, do the set. This is in line with what you've been advised, changing just one tire would result in the bias/radial mix we want to avoid.

Links.
front, size 110/70
https://www.revzilla.com/product/michelin-pilot-road-3-front-tires

Rear, size 150/70
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-pilot-road-4-rear-tires

·
Registered
239 Posts
Pilot road 3 front in stock size, road 4 rear in 150/70.

A great do it all set of tires, and consistently considered one of the best in the wet.

Although the rear is a small increase in size, it shouldn't be an issue. Lots of us run 150s, I've run mine for about 5k miles now without any problems.

Not sure what is available in the stock 140 size, options are a lot more limited.
That's exactly what I have on my R3. Although I can't really comment as the Pilot Road 4 has only just been fitted (previously I had a Street radial) .

That said, I've used Pilot Road 3s for years on several bikes and I absolutely loved them. The best wet weather grip I've had by a very large margin.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK! Now I can make a decision based on information. Came on here this PM just in time. Was getting 'itchy' to order new tires. Was leaning towards the S20. Now seriously reconsidering and looking into the Mich. Pilot 4's. May delay long enough to wait for Paulie's feedback after riding them some. There is a plug in my rear tire. I think that taking it slow should enable me to get away with delaying the new set long enough to get some feedback on the PR4's.

By the way. The S20's would be $75 LESS for the pair installed than the PR4's. Going to check that out some more. Your (Paulie's) comment about the 3's being the best wet grip is very persuasive. I have a bit to mull over now.

Thanks guys.

Coaster. Tried to add a pic for you but doubt it worked.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Coaster. I tried to put an old fart image in my post but clearly it is way over my head. But I was able to get it in the avatar spot.

Ciao.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The S20 is a sport oriented tire that happens to be good in the rain. The Michelins are an all weather touring tire, which also happen to be good at riding fast.

In my opinion, and I'm a cheap ass guy who only buys tires if there is a rebate out for them, I'd still pay the extra money for the Michelins if rain performance is really what you want.

·
Registered
239 Posts
May delay long enough to wait for Paulie's feedback after riding them some.

Going to check that out some more. Your (Paulie's) comment about the 3's being the best wet grip is very persuasive. I have a bit to mull over now.

Thanks guys.
Excellent. The pressure is on to go for a ride and report back. The weather is terrible this weekend so I should be able to give some constructive first impressions. Although I will have to take it pretty easy, scrubbing in a new tyre in the wet.

Since you mention my comment about the Pilot Road 3 tyres. I'll give you a bit more information. I used them previously on a GT650, SV1000 and one on the front of a CBR250 (Pilot Street radial on the rear).

I can't comment on how long the tyres last, but it is a long time (the tyres outlasted my ownership of each bike - I may have changed a rear once on the SV1000 but I honestly can't remember).

In terms of wet weather grip, I only ever had one issue which had to be due to a tar snake or oil on the road - I was riding the SV at night (out of town so no street lights). I was totally upright and at a constant speed and the rear wheel suddenly started spinning for what felt like a second or so (probably less) then regripped and everything was fine again. That was a one off issue and I never had anything remotely similar happen again even under decent acceleration.

Other than that one off instance l've never even had a wiggle or a slide out of the Pilot Road 3s and they do give good feedback so you can kind of judge the grip that is available.

One thing for those with a tail tidy, the Road 3/4 displace a lot of water, which can mean a lot of spray on your back or the back of the bike. I would often have to pull over and clean my rear lights on the SV due to the water and grit from the road ending up all over the back of the bike. This was much more noticeable when compared to the Continental sports tyres that I had on the bike previously.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks cxa & P. You all have me pretty much sold on the Michelins. Talked with the tire guy and he said they are not available in OEM size(s).
Do you think that is going to pose a problem? He said it would be necessary to go larger.

Thanks again.

Probably not the right place to post this. But for what it's worth I replaced my stock windscreen with a Zero Gravity Tour. I spent more time locating metric allen wrenches than actually replacing. Wrenches 20 min. Replace 15 min. Of course this was in the south Fl. sun. Probably just shy of 100 degrees in the sun. Ha! Made things very pliable. Was extremely easy.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yeah. Normal tyre size is 140, so you have to go one size bigger (150) on the back.

Here's my tyre for a size comparison:

For what it's worth, my tyre guy's only concern with the bigger tyre was that at very high lean angles the front may run out of traction before the rear. However, I only ride on the road and in all honesty I very rarely get near those limits. Most of my riding is commuting with the odd weekend away touring a couple of times a year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks P. Waiting on your test rides now.

Tues. I drop bike off for both recall kits. Been told it will be ~3 or 4 hrs.

Enjoy the week end.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I can't think of a tire that would be better in the rain than PR4's, they also have plenty of grip in the dry. I normally get ~5000km's from most tires I have tried but got ~9000km's from the PR4's (on my thou, I'ld expect substantially more on an R3).
Track only wets are the only thing I've seen that are better in the rain but would tear up as soon as the road dried

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just a small update. I have done around 80 miles (134km) on the new tyre so it is still very early days. But so far I am happy with it. I had no issues commuting in the wet this morning even though the tyre is barely scrubbed in at this point.

One unexpected thing that is that the bike suspension seems to be working better as a whole with the new tyre and it is hard to put this into words. The back feels more planted, yet at the same time the tyre seems to handle bumps and uneven surfaces without transferring the bumps through to the bike.

I will give a more detailed update at some point in the future, as I have 13 days off work around Easter.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts