Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, if you just want volume, the m4 is great. You're doing a cat delete with it, and that's where the sound dampening happens. It's basically the price of a slip-on for full exhaust volume. If you do want a full exhaust, look into SC project.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Hindle full EVO system is VERY loud. The muffler is hollow and offers almost no sound reduction to an open header. I had a read a few comments that people that it was way louder than could show on video, but I didn't believe it. I was shocked at how loud it was, and ended up purchasing the sound deadener insert from Woodcraft. It takes the harsh edge off of the noise, but I still wear earplugs when I ride.

Sound Comparison Video

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Hindle full EVO system is VERY loud. The muffler is hollow and offers almost no sound reduction to an open header. I had a read a few comments that people that it was way louder than could show on video, but I didn't believe it. I was shocked at how loud it was, and ended up purchasing the sound deadener insert from Woodcraft. It takes the harsh edge off of the noise, but I still wear earplugs when I ride.
What do you have in the way of a tune for the Hindle exhaust? Was there a noticeable power increase?

·
Registered
44 Posts
What do you have in the way of a tune for the Hindle exhaust? Was there a noticeable power increase?
I have the Norton tune on an aRacer Mini5 ECU because I have an ABS bike that couldn't accept a flash properly. The tune required the block off plate to remove the emissions components on the bike at the savings of about 2 pounds and removal of the off-throttle exhaust pops.

The bike has only about 37hp stock, and this setup ads roughly 3-4hp, which is about a 10% boost in power, paired with a significant weight loss. Yes, it's absolutely noticeable from the moment you get on the bike. You also lose the wonky throttle-off engine braking from the factory ECU. The bike accelerates hard now, breathing easily into redline, when before it seemed to struggle after 7500rpm. You can quickly click through the gears as it gets up to speed really quickly and effortlessly now.

My feedback is completely anecdotal. I never dyno'd the bike, I don't need to. It made a difference and it's not a placebo. It's louder, faster, and considerably lighter, which is another massive benefit to the updates (2 pounds in emissions, 18 pounds of stock exhaust + 5 pounds back for the new exhaust). The suitcase under the bike is HEAVY and does 95% of your sound deadening which is why the M4 is also loud. I did have to add back in the Hindle Noise Reducer because it was TOO loud for me, personally.

I love the system I have on my bike and I would do it again in a heartbeat. YMMV.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Isn't a full exhaust without a catalytic converter a straight pipe?
Yes, though technically a straight pipe would not not have a muffler on it. In the car world, we'd call it a "test pipe" that removed the CAT between the header and the rest of the system. I don't know that the blob under the bike on the OE R3 exhaust is a catalytic convertor—it's probably closer to the "suitcase" found on most cars today. All I know is that it's huge, heavy, ugly and doesn't help performance any. Happier with it in a box in the basement, that's for sure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Idk. You tell me master R3 rider and mechanic. I mean no pipe from cat.
Only reason I say, is because by definition a straight pipe is just from the header to the exhaust with nothing in between. So any full system exhaust is a straight pipe. I'm not master rider or mechanic either.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have the Norton tune on an aRacer Mini5 ECU because I have an ABS bike that couldn't accept a flash properly. The tune required the block off plate to remove the emissions components on the bike at the savings of about 2 pounds and removal of the off-throttle exhaust pops.

The bike has only about 37hp stock, and this setup ads roughly 3-4hp, which is about a 10% boost in power, paired with a significant weight loss. Yes, it's absolutely noticeable from the moment you get on the bike. You also lose the wonky throttle-off engine braking from the factory ECU. The bike accelerates hard now, breathing easily into redline, when before it seemed to struggle after 7500rpm. You can quickly click through the gears as it gets up to speed really quickly and effortlessly now.

My feedback is completely anecdotal. I never dyno'd the bike, I don't need to. It made a difference and it's not a placebo. It's louder, faster, and considerably lighter, which is another massive benefit to the updates (2 pounds in emissions, 18 pounds of stock exhaust + 5 pounds back for the new exhaust). The suitcase under the bike is HEAVY and does 95% of your sound deadening which is why the M4 is also loud. I did have to add back in the Hindle Noise Reducer because it was TOO loud for me, personally.

I love the system I have on my bike and I would do it again in a heartbeat. YMMV.
Thanks for the detailed response. If I ever decide to get a full exhaust, I'll probably have to look at getting the aRacer Mini5 since I've got an ABS bike. It's also impractical to send my ECU all the way to the US and back if I were to take the 'flash' option.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yes a straight pipe or test pipe is loud af. Also straight from cat with no midpipe or muffler also loud af. I noticed a small power loss from no midpipe and muffler.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts